Manning's overinflated legacy

Dec 10, 2014
I don't hate Peyton like some in the Gator nation seem to. He was good for us in college. With the national exposure he got and the continuing beat downs by Spurrier, he made our program shine. I thank him for that. Really the only two things I don't like about him are 1). He's a whiner/wuss on the field and 2). the national media portrays him as some kind of legend. He's not even in the three or four best qbs of his generation.

Regardless, I have a question to posit to the board. Which of the other quarterbacks in the playoffs getting a ring will hurt Manning most? For the sake of not delving into the obvious, let's eliminate Brady. For some unfathomable reason, there is sometimes debate about who is the more prolific QB out of the two. If Brady won a Super Bowl, that would forever rest that debate. So he's an obvious pick. Newton isn't winning a Super Bowl so let's not waste our time there.

I think that Rodgers winning a second ring would really, really hurt Manning's legacy. If Rodgers can stay healthy, he could go down as the greatest QB of all time. A Super Bowl ring for Rodgers would push Manning even further down the list of top tier QBS in the last 20 years. I think it would be a big step in eliminating any of the nonsense talk of whether Peyton is "best ever."

My second pick would be Luck. Luck would have to beat Manning at home, which would really sting for Manning. Luck is the reason why Peyton isn't in Indianapolis anymore. Luck would match everything Peyton did and so much earlier. It could be quite devastating.

Just wondered the boards thoughts. These aren't predictions. Just hypotheticals on what would be worse for MAnning. Also a general Peyton is overrated thread.

GatorBenji

Sep 6, 2014
Peyton is overrated thread? :yes: but to address your thread

Yeah if Rodgers gets a 2nd ring that will hurt Peytons legacy as the "greatest"

If Andrew Luck ends up with more SB rings or more playoff wins then Peyton that will hurt him 10 years down the road on QB rankings

Also, is it time to start calling Flacco the anti Peyton? Dude is okay in regular season but has 13 tds to 0 int like his last 5 games or so. Dude doesn't get respect for his playoff excellence

CapitalGator02

Founding Member
( . Y . )
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
Not sure where in the playoffs the Broncos will be bounced, but there is no way they win the SB. Peyton's noodle arm is only getting weaker and the second he faces a good defense, game over.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Uh oh. Alvin in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Peyton Manning is the greatest choker in NFL history. Gets to the playoffs, then chokes. How many times did he have the best record in the league, just to be bounced out of the playoffs due to his questionable play?

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Montana is widely regarded as the greatest. I have no idea where this Manning thing came from.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
There are a lot of qbs in the league that would be taken before manning if a new team was being put together. Brady, Rodgers, Luck and Wilson IMO would all be more desired for various reasons, none of which is their propensity to choke when it matters or play down when surrounded by an enormously superior level of talent vs. the team they are playing. This by itself tells you all you need to know about mannings legacy, superbowl rings independant.

Dec 10, 2014
T REX;n145534 said:
Montana is widely regarded as the greatest. I have no idea where this Manning thing came from.

Just a way for national media to drum up discussion. Have you noticed that everything that happens in sports now has to be instantly ranked? I'm so tired of the "is this the greatest, is this the best" narrative. All media formats just eat it up.

CapitalGator02

Founding Member
( . Y . )
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n145531 said:
Peyton Manning is the greatest choker in NFL history. Gets to the playoffs, then chokes. How many times did he have the best record in the league, just to be bounced out of the playoffs due to his questionable play?

Let's not forget, he choked in college as well. They needed Tee Freaking Martin to win their NC

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Most of the QB's winning a SB ring would hurt Manning's legacy.

Flacco: Would get ring #2, which would put him above Manning.
Rodgers: Would get ring #2, which would put him above Manning.
Brady: Put him in rare territory as only the 3rd QB to win 4 SBs.
Luck: Winning his first faster than Manning at his old team.
Wilson: Would get ring #2, which would put him above Manning.

The only two that might not hurt Manning's legacy would be Romo and Newton. But if Romo or Newton could carry his team to a SB win, then it would hurt Manning. Because we all know that Manning did not carry his team to that SB win. They won in spite of him, not because of him.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Manning hurts Manning's legacy the most; the guy is a world-class choke artist. Manning never surpassed his peers (Tom Brady), much less the greats from other eras. To me it really doesn't matter which QB gets another Super Bowl ring, although I would really like to see Brady get another ring just so this ridiculous notion about Manning can be put to bed forever (although in my mind it already is).

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
ReelGatorDoc;n145587 said:
Seems like Romo is replacing Manning for the most part

When have the Cowboys had the best team or the best record entering the playoffs, then choked it away? Manning is in a class all by himself. Romo is a choker, but not the the level of Manning. Manning will have his own wing in the Choking Hall of Fame.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n145589 said:
Most of the QB's winning a SB ring would hurt Manning's legacy.

Flacco: Would get ring #2, which would put him above Manning.
Rodgers: Would get ring #2, which would put him above Manning.
Brady: Put him in rare territory as only the 3rd QB to win 4 SBs.
Luck: Winning his first faster than Manning at his old team.
Wilson: Would get ring #2, which would put him above Manning.

The only two that might not hurt Manning's legacy would be Romo and Newton. But if Romo or Newton could carry his team to a SB win, then it would hurt Manning. Because we all know that Manning did not carry his team to that SB win. They won in spite of him, not because of him.

Dilfer has as many rings as Manning.... and they both won theirs the same way.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Dude is a stat padder and that is it. If he throws the ball more than 15 yards down the field it is usually off or intercepted. WR screen, slant, HB screen, repeat.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I will never understand the PM hate. We beat him in college. He has amazing stats in the pros. It was not his fault they took him over TT.
He did get that SuperBowl ring. I remember when Marino was the greatest QB statistically and very few complained about his lack of hardware.
It almost like some obsession with him. I think it is all about yanking some Vol chain. But if it floats your boat go for it. Mr Peanut head is laughing all the way to the off shore bank.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;145531 said:

Nope. That's Romo. :dance2:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n145627 said:
Nope. That's Romo. :dance2:

Or Dan Marino... greatest arm, never got a ring...... For all of Dan Marino's records and zero rings.

8-10 56.04% (5 games under 50%) 32 td/24 ints 77.1 quarterback rating...

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Wow! No QB in NFL history has ever done what Manning did when in Indy. Tom Moore said Manning was basically the on-field OC as he left the playcalling up to Manning. Moore said he only made suggestions in packages of 25-50 plays. On top of that he made the line calls. John Elway under Shanahan was given that responsibility but gave it back after a year. He said he couldn't handle it. There is no quarterback that is as smart as Manning on the field. What Manning is doing now Marino couldn't do. Manning has lost a good bit of velocity on his pass but he is still playing at a high level. He has to read and anticipate better than he ever has because the ball is arriving later. He is truly underappreciated. As far as his playoff record, there were very few times when he had the superior team and lost. Most of the time he lost because the other team was simply better and more talented.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.