Marcell Harris out for the season

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Damn and he was just saying we would have one of the best defenses in the country again. Unbelievable...

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
No big deal, that stat was caused by injuries to our top 2 LBs last season. It's usually LBs and Safety's at the top of the list for team leading tacklers.
In 2015, Morrison led (96), followed by Davis (94), then Safety's Neal (84) and Maye (77). But it should be your LBs getting the lions share of tackles, hopefully up near the line of scrimmage. Unfortunately, both Davis and Zone were injured a lot last year, so their numbers were down. Harris only had 73 tackles and led the team. That would have finished 5th in 2015. True freshman Reese finished 5th last year (49 tackles) while getting all the PT from Davis/Zone being sidelined.

Well either way. Need LB's to do better and stay healthy

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
This is where our depth is a problem. We are the thinnest that we have been in at least a 15 years maybe since probation.

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Still in favor of more practices, Swamp Donkey? :rolleyes:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
What are team run activities anyway? Where the players just meet up and practice things without the coaches?

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
I was going to ask also how these torn achilles injuries come about. Are they the result of putting too much force/weight on that area or can it be from planting wrong or improper running motion i.e. heel first?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
What are team run activities anyway? Where the players just meet up and practice things without the coaches?

It's probably a conditioning drill w/ the S&C staff. Very common. In fact, very necessary. When they show up to practice, they rarely do conditioning - that should be done in the off-season.

We better hope our pass rush is better than last year or our young secondary is going to get eaten up!

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
No. Those guys outside in the 2015-2016 classes outside of Gardner aren't good or are injury prone. Pass. Just like DT we're relying on Freshman to carry the load to make up for Mac & Co shyt recruiting on defense.
Considering someone else is going to have to step up now, who do you think should be the guy to get reps? Should we do a committee/rotation and see who performs the best or place different guys in on different situations? To me, I know the freshman are talented, but if someone needs to step up at Safety or Corner wouldn't you want to give the reps to guys who have actually been in a college program for over a year now, lifting, training and going against college athletes i.e taylor, lenton, burnett or Putu, mcwilliams than playing true guys who have been here for only summer? I'm all for playing whoever is best/earns it just my 2cents. and if a fresh does have to play, it seemed to me that Stewart is the most college ready

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
It's probably a conditioning drill w/ the S&C staff. Very common. In fact, very necessary. When they show up to practice, they rarely do conditioning - that should be done in the off-season.

We better hope our pass rush is better than last year or our young secondary is going to get eaten up!
They won't have to worry. They'll be chasing the RBs after our interior line folds.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I suspect initially we will keep Chauncey and Duke at corner, and let the young bucks come along slowly behind them. Especially with a Sr in Washington at free safety we will probably have J Taylor in there at Marcel's spot. If he struggles we'll probably see a slew of things tried in practice. Whether it's Stewart/Edwards taking more reps at safety, or eventually Chauncey going back there and letting Marco man the other corner spot. We have options, but all of them involve a player who either hasn't played or played sparingly. The good news is whoever steps in will have veterans around him.

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
No. Those guys outside in the 2015-2016 classes outside of Gardner aren't good or are injury prone. Pass. Just like DT we're relying on Freshman to carry the load to make up for Mac & Co shyt recruiting on defense.
I hear where your coming from, but being in a college program for over a year is worth something. I don't think we should write off those guys just yet. But, whoever earns it earns it regardless of year/position. Gotta put the best guys out there.

Last edited:

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I'm telling you guys, there's an Indian burial ground beneath either the Swamp or practice fields. BNA, tell your dead ancestors to chill the f*ck out already.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
COA53x6UwAA921-.jpg

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I was going to ask also how these torn achilles injuries come about. Are they the result of putting too much force/weight on that area or can it be from planting wrong or improper running motion i.e. heel first?
Must've been the high heels. :lol:

Achilles tendon injuries are common in people who do things where they quickly speed up, slow down, or pivot, such as:
  • Running
  • Gymnastics
  • Dance
  • Football
  • Baseball
  • Softball
  • Basketball
  • Tennis
  • Volleyball
These injuries tend to happen when you start moving suddenly as you push off and lift your foot rather than when you land. For instance, a sprinter might get one at the start of a race as he surges off the starting block. The abrupt action can be too much for the tendon to handle. Men over 30 are particularly prone to Achilles tendon injuries.

These things also can make you more likely to have this kind of injury:

• You wear high heels, which can stress the tendon.
  • You have "flat feet," also called fallen arches. This means that when you take a step, the impact causes the arch of your foot to collapse, stretching the muscles and tendons.
  • Your leg muscles or tendons are too tight.
  • You take medicines called glucocorticoids or antibiotics called fluoroquinolones.
Linkadink: http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/guide/achilles-tendon-injury#1-2

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You hate to hear news like this. That's a big blow. He was poised for a big season and he was our enforcer at the safety position. Luckily, we still have a few experienced guys that we can plug in at safety. Duke can play any secondary position. Chauncey will probably get the first crack at taking over for Marcell. I like the physicality and playmaking ability he brings to the table. Also, Jaewon Taylor has a year of experience in the system. He has good size for the position and hopefully he can back up his tweet. But, like others have said, guys like Marco Wilson and Brad Stewart will probably be forced into much bigger roles this season. I hope they're ready to play. :exactly:
Those are all good points but I am thoroughly opposed to having more than one guy named Juawaan Taylor or David Reese on the same team.

It's hard enough for an old guy like me. I'm only a year or two away from just calling them by their numbers like Bobby Bowden used to do in the 90s.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

I think our DEs will be applying good pressure on passing downs. Its our D line holding up against a good rushing attack that scares me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator