McElwain’s decision to part with QB Will Grier makes sense in 2017

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Oh hell, here we go....

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/jim-mcelwain-2017-quarterback-decision

Florida Gators coach Jim McElwain’s decision to part with QB Will Grier makes sense in 2017

Former Florida Gators quarterback Will Grier’s performance in the West Virginia spring game reminded me of a book I know called Mistakes Were Made (But Not by Me).

In it, the authors detail a conversation between a couple with marital issues. The 2 went out with another couple and the night ended in a fight. Both recounted what happened to their therapist. The quotes from that night were identical. But each interpreted the tone and intent of those words differently. Hence the fight.

I thought of it Saturday when my Twitter timeline blew up with discussion of Grier’s performance. A quarterback at Florida in 2015, Gators coach Jim McElwain’s first season, Grier earned a 1-year suspension halfway through for failing a performance-enhancing drug test. After some drama, Grier transferred to West Virginia.

Grier and his father met with McElwain to discuss the future, according to a 2016 Bleacher Report story. The discussion did not go well.

“I said, the exact quote, ‘I just want to know what your plans are for the future. Are you going to bring in more guys? Am I a guy you don’t see playing here in the future,’” Grier said, according to the story.

“He (McElwain) said, ‘You’re welcome here in the future, you’re a Gator, but I’m not telling you my plans. I’m not giving you any guarantees.’”

Florida QB drama: Both sides
I think Grier was honest. From his perspective, he accidentally took a banned substance. He incurred a 1-year NCAA suspension. Had it been a university test and not an NCAA test, the punishment would have been lighter.

Then McElwain showed up 2 hours late for the meeting. That would’ve made me feel like the coach didn’t care about me.

But I also understand why McElwain could hear those words from Grier and his father and feel like they were pressing for a guarantee. Think about his perspective. In the B/R report, Grier said the meeting took place in November. McElwain was coaching up Treon Harris at quarterback, and it wasn’t going well. Florida struggled to beat Vanderbilt and Florida Atlantic and got stomped by Florida State that month.

Just like the couple from the book, Grier and McElwain each heard the conversation through his own prism. Remember, these two didn’t have a relationship built through recruiting. Grier committed to the Gators early and stuck with that commitment. He wasn’t ever going to go to Colorado State, so it’s unclear whether he ever met McElwain before the two united at Florida.

They had to build a relationship once McElwain came to Gainesville. McElwain spent all spring evaluating Grier and Harris. Grier took control of the job, then took an over-the-counter supplement without checking with the training staff.

McElwain comes from Nick Saban’s coaching tree. He must repeatedly tell players to check everything with the trainers. The positive test had to frustrate McElwain.

Evaluating Florida QB Will Grier
Lost in all the he-said, he-said nonsense, it’s still unclear whether McElwain thought Grier was good at playing quarterback. McElwain never listed Grier as the starter on the depth chart in 2015, even after his performance against Ole Miss (24 of 29, 271 yards, 4 TDs). There was discussion that Luke Del Rio could have challenged Grier for the starting job.

2017-04-15-Grier-vs.-Del-Rio_xwfipl.jpg

The first 100 attempts for former Florida QB Will Grier and current Florida QB Luke Del Rio. (Will Miles/SEC Country)
Indeed, if you look at their statistics through the first 100 pass attempts of their Gators careers, the numbers are virtually identical. Del Rio suffered a knee injury against North Texas and never looked the same. Grier didn’t play well on either side of that spectacular Ole Miss game.

People remember his fourth quarter against Tennessee — particularly the fourth-down conversion to Antonio Callaway. That was an awesome moment. But Grier struggled for much of that game, and struggled against Missouri just before the suspension.

None of this means Grier will flop at West Virginia. He looked great in the spring game (12 of 18 for 202 yards). But the West Virginia passing defense ranked 104th last season. And remember that Del Rio (10 of 11, 176 passing yards, 2 TDs) looked like a savior in the 2016 Orange & Blue Debut. Those games are designed to build confidence, not reflect reality.

Even if Grier turns in a Heisman-level season for West Virginia, I can’t fault McElwain for letting him walk. The coach/quarterback relationship has to be built on trust. He couldn’t trust Grier. Based on the events and Grier’s own description of the events, I can understand why.

Feleipe Franks vs. Will Grier
Lost in the juicy details of that meeting with the Griers: McElwain was late because he was recruiting QB Feleipe Franks. At the time, Franks was committed to LSU. It’s hard to believe Franks would’ve come to Florida had Grier returned midway through the 2016 season as a redshirt sophomore.

McElwain wasn’t being forced to choose between Del Rio and Grier. He chose between Grier and Franks, knowing that if Grier failed (or failed another test) he’d be left with Del Rio and Kyle Trask.

McElwain also faced the prospect of a divided locker room if Grier returned. Some players must have been bitter at Grier for his suspension. They got embarrassed by a near-loss to FAU and by the drubbing against FSU in the Swamp. They were the ones who had been told accountability mattered. They were the ones who asked trainers about the supplements they were taking.

Defense has been the main reason for McElwain’s success at Florida. Because Will Muschamp recruited most of those players, McElwain has received less credit for the back-to-back SEC East titles than he deserves, particularly from hardcore Gators fans.

The 2017 season always was going to be McElwain’s chance to showcase his offense. This is the season where the Florida faithful will hold him accountable for that unit, good or bad. In the heat of the moment, he had to decide on Grier or Franks as his quarterback.

I understand his decision.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Not sure exactly what happened here but Grier's dad from his past actions came off as someone that would want semi assurances on what was going on. I think we might end up wishing Grier was still here as I am not sure what we will get out of Franks but I don't blame McElwain if he said something like that.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Why not have a thread started about every QB in college football? Its all the same since none of them including drug boy plays for Florida. They are all gator bait.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Sadly these stories will keep pouring out, especially if Grier is successful and once again our offense if pathetic. Better be prepared for it.

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
"The 2017 season always was going to beMcElwain’s chance to showcase his offense"
This is a major fallacy of this article. I know for a fact, after reading this board, that we can't begin to expect results/judge until at Least year 4

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
"The 2017 season always was going to beMcElwain’s chance to showcase his offense"
This is a major fallacy of this article. I know for a fact, after reading this board, that we can't begin to expect results/judge until at Least year 4
No, no, no.

He can't even START recruiting until year four. Bowl was really clear about that.

88drgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
I was actually surprised by the Grier/Del Rio stats comparison. At least for me, that was a new whip to beat the dead horse.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I disagree that it was actually an accident. He knew that all such must be cleared by the staff and anything that he might want and be legal he could get for free from the staff. Who pays for things that you can get for free not to mention with assurances that you would not be outside the rules.

I think it showed a large lack of confidence. If it was me being a natural (I love the Gators) Gator I would not care who you brought in I can beat any and all that you might get. After all an NFL QB is not showing up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator