McElwain’s decision to part with QB Will Grier makes sense in 2017

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Alright, which one of you a$$holes goes by the pen name Will Miles? :lol:
Same pumper propaganda....MacNeuheisal this and MacNumbnuts that. I guess we'll see when the rubber meets the road but if Old Yeller pulls anything less than 9 wins this season playing in one of the worst divisions in D1 CFB then tell me how much of a genius he is at that point?

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
Former players from that team have told me that Grier absolutely could not be allowed to stay.

That's good enough for me.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Former players from that team have told me that Grier absolutely could not be allowed to stay.

Weren't they also in favor of Tyler Murphy over Driskel and TReon over Grier?

Weird.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Sadly these stories will keep pouring out, especially if Grier is successful and once again our offense if pathetic. Better be prepared for it.

The best was when Driskel left and proceeded to throw for 4,000 yards and averaged over 2 TD passes a game.

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014

and what was the basis for them not wanting him to stay?
Because he let the team down so badly? He screwed himslef more than anyone else. I don't buy it. Give details bro.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
Weren't they also in favor of Tyler Murphy over Driskel and TReon over Grier?

Weird.

I'm really not sure where you are going with things sometimes. You are all reasonable for a time and then you post things like this.

Not even sure what this means or what you intended it to accomplish.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
and what was the basis for them not wanting him to stay?
Because he let the team down so badly? He screwed himslef more than anyone else. I don't buy it. Give details bro.

I posted as many details as I feel comfortable giving out in the Offseason Insight thread.

When the subject of Grier came up they both got very animated. The mention of Grier's dad made both of their eyes roll. They were both adamant that Grier could not remain on the team.

They didn't offer any more information than that and I did not ask.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
I was actually surprised by the Grier/Del Rio stats comparison. At least for me, that was a new whip to beat the dead horse.

Stats, smats! Del Rio never provided me one moment of sheer jubilation that Grier did on a couple occasions. Sorry fellow Gators fans, Grier's td's against Tenn and Ole Miss were waaaaay bigger than Del Rio's against Umass and Kentucky. I still can't believe we still have fans that think Grier was average or no better than Del Rio. SMH ‍♂️

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
I posted as many details as I feel comfortable giving out in the Offseason Insight thread.

When the subject of Grier came up they both got very animated. The mention of Grier's dad made both of their eyes roll. They were both adamant that Grier could not remain on the team.

They didn't offer any more information than that and I did not ask.

Why didn't you ask? You owe it to this board to ask! Just kidding. Grier's dad seemed like a d!ck, I can understand why a coach would just want to shed himself of that problem. But you better have a backup plan, and if Mac seriously thought Del Rio was it, and was just as good as Grier than we're screwed. Hopefully Del Rio was just thought of as a fill in for a year( really half a year), till the next QB is ready to go.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
The best was when Driskel left and proceeded to throw for 4,000 yards and averaged over 2 TD passes a game.

What about when Champ kicked Brissett to the curb, and he lit it up at NC State. How the hell could he not see that Brissett was clearly better?

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Well what a load of garbage that article is:

1. My guess is that Grier was never listed as a starter because he had failed a drug test and UF did not want to list him as a starter while waiting for the confirmation sample to come back.

2. If McElwain was indeed two hours late to a meeting with a player and his parent, McElwain should be ashamed of himself. That is just rude and I don't care if he was recruiting Franks or not, that is unacceptable.

Other than those two comments, I don't really care about this. McElwain is the UF coach and he gets to make these types of decisions. His job rests upon them and we shall see how it works out.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Everybody here knows what's going to happen. If he's healthy in camp, Del Rio is starting.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
What about when Champ kicked Brissett to the curb, and he lit it up at NC State. How the hell could he not see that Brissett was clearly better?

Different offensive styles. Brissett was a better fit for Cheeseburgers offense, but not Pease's. Remember how bad Brissett looked in Pease's offense.

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
Everybody here knows what's going to happen. If he's healthy in camp, Del Rio is starting.
probably true, because I have also read on here we really shouldn't expect anything out of franks until his junior year. man what a resource this place is!

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
My vote remains Franks at this point in time and based on watching LDRs past limitations now augmented by whatever post surgical baggage he'll tote. Until Franks is throwing game losing interceptions, I'm tired of waiting, start the pedigree basis for working your bench and recruiting. Somewhere, sometime some heartache has to happen when your QB foundation is freshman play... let's get going, Go Gators!!

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
2. If McElwain was indeed two hours late to a meeting with a player and his parent, McElwain should be ashamed of himself. That is just rude and I don't care if he was recruiting Franks or not, that is unacceptable.

I disagree. I will agree it's rude, but I would consider it acceptable if the coach had already made up his mind and knew Grier was not the future while Franks might be the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator