McGregor vs Mayweather tonight!

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Yes self-promotion has been around 50 plus years in sports but usually not among such detestable individuals in my eyes as Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor.

I remember the Bayonne bleeder Chuck Wepner he really had a big heart.

It's boxing, where guys with undesirable pasts are commonplace. Seriously, how many upper middle class or higher suburban kids take the sport up and make it to a high level? It's a dirty business with unsavory characters and Floyd isn't the first pro boxer, nor pro athlete for that matter, to beat up a woman or commit some other heinous crime. I'm not defending him, rather just stating the obvious. I'm curious what your issue with MacGregor is, other than him being an over the top loudmouth? I'm not aware of him having a sordid past.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
MMA takes way more skill than boxing. A freaking mma fighter who's never been in a boxing match in his life went 9 rounds with "one of the best of all time" and won a few rounds. I don't really care about either sport but I'd damn sure rather watch mma, where something actually happens. Hell, last night was the first time I've seen mayweather throw a punch since the time he knocked out the guy who wasn't looking.

Never been in a Boxing match in his life? McGregor started in boxing at 12, and was an amateur athlete in boxing. Actually was a very good boxing in the Irish Amatuer circuit.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I watched the Cotto fight on HBO then watched the main event of the PPV for free online. Mayweather did what anyone who has watched Mayweather since his fight against De La Hoya does to his opponents. The first two rounds learns his opponents, third round adjusts his game, and 4th round takes over. McGregor didn't have the conditioning for Boxing, and it was obvious by the end of the 3rd round already mouth breathing. UFC is a sprint to boxing marathon. The fight was really over by round 4, just Mayweather waiting for the opening, it was very similar to the Mayweather vs Ricky Hatton fight. McGregor is an aggressor (like Hatton) if you remove his ability to move forward he is done, and that is exactly what Mayweather did.

Obviously UFC and Boxing fanboys on here btching and moaning about which is better. They are both combat sports, but they are vastly different. It's not about one being more skilled than the other, they are different skills. This wasn't a good representation of boxing or UFC. It was a cash grab.

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
I was a little surprised this was only the sixth best pay-per-view ordered fight of all time with having two Mega stars from two different sports battling it out and it being the most hyped fight ever. I thought it would be in the top two or three for sure. But not to be.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I watched the Cotto fight on HBO then watched the main event of the PPV for free online. Mayweather did what anyone who has watched Mayweather since his fight against De La Hoya does to his opponents. The first two rounds learns his opponents, third round adjusts his game, and 4th round takes over. McGregor didn't have the conditioning for Boxing, and it was obvious by the end of the 3rd round already mouth breathing. UFC is a sprint to boxing marathon. The fight was really over by round 4, just Mayweather waiting for the opening, it was very similar to the Mayweather vs Ricky Hatton fight. McGregor is an aggressor (like Hatton) if you remove his ability to move forward he is done, and that is exactly what Mayweather did.

Obviously UFC and Boxing fanboys on here btching and moaning about which is better. They are both combat sports, but they are vastly different. It's not about one being more skilled than the other, they are different skills. This wasn't a good representation of boxing or UFC. It was a cash grab.

Dead on. Much is made of Conor going 10 rounds....well Floyd only has 1 TKO in the last 11 years. He doesn't knock anyone out...much less early. Much is made of Conor winning the first 3 rounds....he didn't win anything...those rounds were given to him by Floyd and us precisely where he lost the fight. It was a unique version of Rope a Dope.

I can't stand mayweather but he is a brilliant tactician in the ring. He had a plan and implemented it totally.

If they were in the octagon Conor destroys him.

I'd rather see him in a rematch with Diaz than Floyd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.