McGregor vs Mayweather tonight!

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I remember going to a small sports bar over in the Countryside area (long since gone) for the Tyson-Spinks bout. We got there right as Buffer was doing the ring announcements. We sat down, girl took our drink order, Tyson knocked him out, here comes the drinks. Drank that round, paid and left.

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
the sooner UFC heads south becomes less popular makes less money the better off we'll all be. it's the dirtiest sport I have ever seen it makes cycling in Europe look clean makes baseball in the 90s look clean and makes nfl in the seventies look clean.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I thought it was odd that mayweather turned his back to McGregor a few times and the ref stepped in and made them break.

Why didn't the action continue? It happened a few times in the 1st few rounds. I've never seen a boxer turn around like that, it was weird.

I saw where he might have done it once but Connor routinely hooked and spun him. Which was probably instinct.

Boxing takes much more skill than MMA.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Even the announcers were commenting on Mayweather turning his back. Heck, when they started mentioning it was when I really started noticing how blatant it was.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
the sooner UFC heads south becomes less popular makes less money the better off we'll all be. it's the dirtiest sport I have ever seen it makes cycling in Europe look clean makes baseball in the 90s look clean and makes nfl in the seventies look clean.
Why will that make us all better off? How does it affect anyone in any meaniningful way?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I saw where he might have done it once but Connor routinely hooked and spun him. Which was probably instinct.

Boxing takes much more skill than MMA.
No it doesn't. Try learning to defend and attack standing up and on the ground. I get it isn't for everyone, but MMA is much more difficult. I used to box a bit and I'm a pretty big guy, but I have a cousin that's a black belt in several martial arts and he can take me apart in seconds. He's about 75 pounds and 7 inches smaller than I am.

Jun 2, 2015
I see the numbers, but since I have been to a few scrotUM home games from 2005-2015, I can assure you that the only game where there were over 50K was against FSU every other year. They don;t even draw flies to the other home games. However there is one plausible explanation. Perhaps I was thrown off by the 50K who were dressed up like empty seats:lmao2:

Fire Foley, Ok, I'll concede, UF wins the "attendance" record. Fortunately for the U, attendance does not win NC's.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Conor said afterwards he used up too much energy getting to his back which is useless in boxing. When he would hook Floyd would just roll into it and the ref would break and restart them. Happened frequently.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
No it doesn't. Try learning to defend and attack standing up and on the ground. I get it isn't for everyone, but MMA is much more difficult. I used to box a bit and I'm a pretty big guy, but I have a cousin that's a black belt in several martial arts and he can take me apart in seconds. He's about 75 pounds and 7 inches smaller than I am.

For sure an MMA guy will trounce a boxer in a free wheeling fight. The movement, defense, and striking in boxing are a much more skillful art IMO.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
For sure an MMA guy will trounce a boxer in a free wheeling fight. The movement, defense, and striking in boxing are a much more skillful art IMO.
Add those skills to defending arm bars, choke holds, leg locks, knees, elbows, throws, kicks and takedowns.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
The bottom line for me is one is a scumbag and the other is a douchebag so I wasn't into the fight because I don't like either. Their International publicity tour and press conferences were disgusting McGregor was sometimes racist calling Mayweather boy dance for me boy and a reference to a monkey but it helps sell the fight which is disgusting in its own right. Can you imagine if president Trump ever spoke like that he may be considered racist.

Wait, I thought he already is considered a racist? :giggle:

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
Why will that make us all better off? How does it affect anyone in any meaniningful way?
Who said anything about a meaningful way? Lol! People can enjoy these two vile clowns all they want but I've never seen two me me me its all about me athletes than these 2. But I certainly don't speak for everybody. I will say people who appreciate clasy great athletes like Tom Brady and who enjoy modesty in people like Tim Tebow will not ever be fans of people like Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather and their crazy antics.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Who said anything about a meaningful way? Lol! People can enjoy these two vile clowns all they want but I've never seen two me me me its all about me athletes than these 2. But I certainly don't speak for everybody. I will say people who appreciate clasy great athletes like Tom Brady and who enjoy modesty in people like Tim Tebow will not ever be fans of people like Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather and their crazy antics.
You said we'll all be better off. Please explain.

And "me, me, me" athletes have been around for a loooong time. Ali, Namath, etc.. Hell, I'm sure there were gladiators that were showboats, as well.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014

Self promotion on an exponential basis has been a part of boxing for 50+ years. It's just part of the game to sell more tickets and PPVs. I find that viewing it from that lens makes it easier to tolerate and accept. As far as the racism, I didn't see Connor's comments but he very well may have been coached by Floyd's camp to make race an issue. When Ali fought Chuck Wepner, Ali wanted Wepner to refer to him as a n*** to hype the fight. Wepner was too smart for that and refused to do it. Connor should have followed Chuck's lead.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Add those skills to defending arm bars, choke holds, leg locks, knees, elbows, throws, kicks and takedowns.

MMA takes way more skill than boxing. A freaking mma fighter who's never been in a boxing match in his life went 9 rounds with "one of the best of all time" and won a few rounds. I don't really care about either sport but I'd damn sure rather watch mma, where something actually happens. Hell, last night was the first time I've seen mayweather throw a punch since the time he knocked out the guy who wasn't looking.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
You're also about 125 years old too......:lol:

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
You said we'll all be better off. Please explain.

And "me, me, me" athletes have been around for a loooong time. Ali, Namath, etc.. Hell, I'm sure there were gladiators that were showboats, as well.
Better off by not having to hear from these two detestable people again. Hopefully.

Namath and Ali had charm and class. Floyd and Conor not so much. :lmao2:

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
Self promotion on an exponential basis has been a part of boxing for 50+ years. It's just part of the game to sell more tickets and PPVs. I find that viewing it from that lens makes it easier to tolerate and accept. As far as the racism, I didn't see Connor's comments but he very well may have been coached by Floyd's camp to make race an issue. When Ali fought Chuck Wepner, Ali wanted Wepner to refer to him as a n*** to hype the fight. Wepner was too smart for that and refused to do it. Connor should have followed Chuck's lead.
Yes self-promotion has been around 50 plus years in sports but usually not among such detestable individuals in my eyes as Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor.

I remember the Bayonne bleeder Chuck Wepner he really had a big heart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.