Mertz named SEC Offensive Player of the Week after USC win

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Mertz is on track to throw for around 3,400 yards assuming he plays in a bowl game. He's currently 4th in the SEC and 14th in the nation in passing yards, while having the 3rd best completion percentage in the nation (1st in SEC). A year ago he finished 10th in the Big 10 and 81st in the nation in passing yards. He's a little less than 300 yards shy of passing his season total for yards last year, which was his career high.

I'd say he's far exceeded everyone's expectations, even those who were high on him.
What is lost in his stats (but everyone sees it) is that he is a BALLER and a leader... he gets hit all the damn time and balls on. It elevates other players, they buy into him, and they are willing to do everything they can to contribute. Also love the way he constantly pumps up the D (yeah, i said "pumps up the D"!!!) on the sidelines... he's just flat out a baller and leader... he's having the time of his life and I'm happy for him.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
He has exceeded my VERY low expectations. He is tough and doesn't make huge mistakes. But he is still a one-read, check down QB. This last game was, in fact, no exception. If that translates into wins, as it did this last weekend, I am happy. But I will assume I am not the only one that sees this as there are a few decent DCs we are about to face.
:scoff3:

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
What is lost in his stats (but everyone sees it) is that he is a BALLER and a leader... he gets hit all the damn time and balls on. It elevates other players, they buy into him, and they are willing to do everything they can to contribute. Also love the way he constantly pumps up the D (yeah, i said "pumps up the D"!!!) on the sidelines... he's just flat out a baller and leader... he's having the time of his life and I'm happy for him.
It’s what I like most about him. His toughness and leadership. We need someone with those attributes to step up on defense.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
His toughness and leadership, as MJM just said, are by far his biggest attributes. They are completely the opposite of what we had in AR last season. With all the experience he had coming in, I was pretty confident that Mertz would be an upgrade there, even though I knew he was pretty limited physically. There's a lot more to being a QB than how far you can throw or how fast you can run.

I'm not sure what to think of Mertz from here. It's possible his ceiling is a little bit higher than I thought, and maybe he'll throw for a bunch more yards than expected down the stretch. Even in this 423 yard game, there were a TON of passes off target in which he was bailed out by fantastic catches - his accuracy is still well in question. As he gets more comfortable, perhaps that will improve. I sure as hell hope they let him keep airing it out down the field.

Pearsall is about as great of a safety blanket as a QB could ask for, a guy that vacuums up balls anywhere near him. When in doubt, just chuck it up to him. He needs to be targeted at least 15 times a game.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I think he's got room to improve from here but we've got to get him some time on straight drop back passes so he can work both sides of the field. In the Vandy game he had a few chances to stand in there and hit some deep balls but didn't seem to get his feet set right. Hopefully this bye week will gives us a chance to put our best oline together for the next couple of games.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I think he's got room to improve from here but we've got to get him some time on straight drop back passes so he can work both sides of the field. In the Vandy game he had a few chances to stand in there and hit some deep balls but didn't seem to get his feet set right. Hopefully this bye week will gives us a chance to put our best oline together for the next couple of games.
Rewatching the game, he threw left in this game a lot more than you think/he has in the past.

As for his straight drop back, some of us talked about this the other day and hopefully it gets addressed with MERTZ (and I think it did in the 4th Qtr after one such play). He drops so far back that he's way out of an otherwise fantastic "horseshoe" pocket and when our tackles give an end a final push away because they think "he can't be back this far!", there Mertz is... when this happens, and he takes three steps back up into that pocket, he delivered most of the time.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Rewatching the game, he threw left in this game a lot more than you think/he has in the past.

As for his straight drop back, some of us talked about this the other day and hopefully it gets addressed with MERTZ (and I think it did in the 4th Qtr after one such play). He drops so far back that he's way out of an otherwise fantastic "horseshoe" pocket and when our tackles give an end a final push away because they think "he can't be back this far!", there Mertz is... when this happens, and he takes three steps back up into that pocket, he delivered most of the time.
I'll bet if you went back through the season you'd see that we've probably had 80% of our successful pass plays OF MORE THAN 10 yards to the right side of the field.....I'm not taking into account WR/RB screens that aren't even across the LOS....Even the design of our pass plays looks different going into the left hash mark toward the sideline.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I'll bet if you went back through the season you'd see that we've probably had 80% of our successful pass plays OF MORE THAN 10 yards to the right side of the field.....I'm not taking into account WR/RB screens that aren't even across the LOS....Even the design of our pass plays looks different going into the left hash mark toward the sideline.
that's why i said THIS game! :lol:

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
For his sake and the team's, that needs to stop. I remember Herbstreit saying our big guys looked slow. I believe it was Utah and he was talking about our DL/LBs. But our OL has to start moving and handling business.

Last edited:

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
randy marsh moving GIF by South Park

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays