Michigan DC: 'Everyone says we lost 10 starters. Wait a minute.'

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Exactly. It is rare for a true freshman to have a meaningful impact on offense. It does happen, of course, but it's rare. The only ones I see doing anything on offense are Toney (at least adding some spice at some points), and maybe Robinson or one of the RBs will spark something.

I'd love to be surprised, but unless you've got Emmitt coming in it's going to be a surprise.

:butters:.........
th
..... surprise! surprise! surpise!

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
True freshmen? :lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

They won't even know the playbook til next March.

They would be sophomores or redshirt freshman. His 2016 recruiting class was really good. Not expecting hardly anything out of their 2017 class this year but that true freshman WR looked decent in their spring game.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He does an excellent job on the first series with a scripted set of plays. After that, he's simply lost. I don't think it would matter if he's in the huddle or on a cruise ship in Alaska.

which makes me wonder if it is Mac who actually scripts the plays, because when it comes to in game play calling... claribell could do a better job.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Just looked at a post spring projection of Michigan's starters for 2017 and they are a very young team. About half of the starters will be from his 2016 recruiting class it appears (one WR projecting to probably start is an early enrollee true freshman from the 2017 class).

RB 1
WR 2
OL 2

DL 1
LB 1
Viper 1 (hybrid LB/S)
DB 3

So about 11 of Michigan's 22 starting spots will be either redshirt freshmen or non-redshirt sophomores. You would think looking at that we should have a big advantage with it being the 1st game of the year but somehow I don't think that will be the case.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
They would be sophomores or redshirt freshman. His 2016 recruiting class was really good. Not expecting hardly anything out of their 2017 class this year.
I did misread 2017.

2016 class? uh yeah..... ok. We will be waiting a long time for 2015 and 2016 to contribute. Two of the worst classes in the last forty years. We will have a couple of kids who will workout, but out of the fifty or so, the rate is going to be very, very low.

Last edited:

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I guess our game could come down to how many of his 2016 recruits turn out to be good this season.

I blew by your original point and commented on true freshmen.

Yes, very much so. Franks, Cleveland, Hammond, Perine, Massey, Taylor, Thompson - very pivotal!

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I blew by your original point and commented on true freshmen.

Yes, very much so. Franks, Cleveland, Hammond, Perine, Massey, Taylor, Thompson - very pivotal!

Just looking at projected starters you would think the playing experience of our offensive starters would be a huge problem for Michigan's defense who looks to be very young and inexperienced but based on recent history can we even take advantage of that very young secondary etc.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Just looking at projected starters you would think the playing experience of our offensive starters would be a huge problem for Michigan's defense who looks to be very young and inexperienced but based on recent history can we even take advantage of that very young secondary etc.

I sure hope so!

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I did misread 2017.

2016 class? uh yeah..... ok. We will be waiting a long time for 2015 and 2016 to contribute. Two of the worst classes in the last forty years. We will have a couple of kids who will workout, but out of the fifty or so, the rate is going to be very, very low.

2015 was a transition class, which are always bad, but at least it has Tez, CeCe, Callaway & Scarlett.

2016?

2016 is bearing out pretty well early. As true freshman, Pinero, Gardner, OT Taylor & Cleveland each look to be All-SEC caliber. (And 2 of those guys were 3-star recruits.)

Swain, Hammond, Clayton, Joseph, Clayton, & Perine contributed and look to be solid SEC players.

Thomson has the tools but needs to produce and not fumble. Moon & Massey need to be healthy.

The key will be Franks, and a nod to McWilliams for building his confidence in the O&B game.

Far better than the hilariously #1 ranked 2000 class & dismal 1993.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator