Mike Farrell's five star prediction thread

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I agree we beat FSU with Grier (Bama not so much). We had receivers running wide all game yet Harris couldn't hit them.

Plus our D was shutting them down until they got worn down (thanks offense).

LSU is a toss up as Harris played pretty well. He did miss open receivers quite a bit in that game too, but it's still a toss up to me.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Again, why aren't we recruiting him the hardest? :scratchhead:

That's the million dollar question. We are in desperate need of linebackers. Granted we're in the dead period but I think that only has to do with visits.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
That's the million dollar question. We are in desperate need of linebackers. Granted we're in the dead period but I think that only has to do with visits.
And that's what concerns me. Do our coaches just not push as hard? Did they give up on him? Are they on someone better? I've just never seen a staff struggle at landing a couple of big names. You can say our brand is damaged but even after chump went 4-8 he was able to haul in 1-5*, 12-4* and 11-3*. He got Tabor, Grier, Sharpe, Quincy, Powell Dawson, et.al., in that 2014 class. And then he had Ivey, Jefferson, Cowart and Holland in the mix. And I firmly believe McElwain's initial DL hire botched Cowart's recruiting so bad we lost him. Can't remember the coach that met Cowart's mom at Denny's one night. (Terrell Williams?) And then was released until we got Rumph.

Oct 5, 2014
I agree we beat FSU with Grier (Bama not so much). We had receivers running wide all game yet Harris couldn't hit them.

Plus our D was shutting them down until they got worn down (thanks offense).

LSU is a toss up as Harris played pretty well. He did miss open receivers quite a bit in that game too, but it's still a toss up to me.

I agree with this assessment.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
And that's what concerns me. Do our coaches just not push as hard? Did they give up on him? Are they on someone better? I've just never seen a staff struggle at landing a couple of big names. You can say our brand is damaged but even after chump went 4-8 he was able to haul in 1-5*, 12-4* and 11-3*. He got Tabor, Grier, Sharpe, Quincy, Powell Dawson, et.al., in that 2014 class. And then he had Ivey, Jefferson, Cowart and Holland in the mix. And I firmly believe McElwain's initial DL hire botched Cowart's recruiting so bad we lost him. Can't remember the coach that met Cowart's mom at Denny's one night. (Terrell Williams?) And then was released until we got Rumph.

Disconcerting to say the least. It seems that Mac has a more laid back recruiting style. Every interview that I hear from recruits is how laid back and genuine he is. That's the antithesis of what we hear about other recruiters such as Meyer, Saban, Freeze, etc... They're intense.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
That's the million dollar question. We are in desperate need of linebackers. Granted we're in the dead period but I think that only has to do with schools who follow the rules.

FIFY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Disconcerting to say the least. It seems that Mac has a more laid back recruiting style. Every interview that I hear from recruits is how laid back and genuine he is. That's the antithesis of what we hear about other recruiters such as Meyer, Saban, Freeze, etc... They're intense.

Yea, Mac just doesnt get it. He just doesnt want to win. He has instructed his staff to be half ass about recruiting so we can stay mediocre. Hes hoping to be fired this year.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yea, Mac just doesnt get it. He just doesnt want to win. He has instructed his staff to be half ass about recruiting so we can stay mediocre. Hes hoping to be fired this year.

Who said that?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Just reading between the lines. Its pretty much been decided Mac cant recruit.

You should probably read the rest of the thread. I've been pretty adamant that I think we pull out a top tier class. We are struggling closing on some top line recruits, which may have more to do with his recruiting style. These kids have large egos and want these coaches calling them every day.

I didn't say that Mac's style wasn't the right way to do it. It's just not the same style that we see with the more aggressive recruiters. And that's based off of interviews. I've never heard his sales pitch. So it's all an assumption.

Message boards may be too much for you. I'm never seen somebody get so worked up about discussing our issues with recruiting. Or maybe you need to focus on something other than recruiting. Recruiting discussion has always been like this.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
You should probably read the rest of the thread. I've been pretty adamant that I think we pull out a top tier class. We are struggling closing on some top line recruits, which may have more to do with his recruiting style. These kids have large egos and want these coaches calling them every day.

I didn't say that Mac's style wasn't the right way to do it. It's just not the same style that we see with the more aggressive recruiters. And that's based off of interviews. I've never heard his sales pitch. So it's all an assumption.

Message boards may be too much for you. I'm never seen somebody get so worked up about discussing our issues with recruiting. Or maybe you need to focus on something other than recruiting. Recruiting discussion has always been like this.

Certainly didnt come to my conclusion based upon your response. As for message boards well, I have been an admin on a much larger board for approx 6 years. I rarely get worked up over anything although, I am normally blunt and to the point and not afraid to call things as I see them. It seems as my response has upset you. Again, it is derived from the overall vibe I get from the majority here.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Certainly didnt come to my conclusion based upon your response. As for message boards well, I have been an admin on a much larger board for approx 6 years. I rarely get worked up over anything although, I am normally blunt and to the point and not afraid to call things as I see them. It seems as my response has upset you. Again, it is derived from the overall vibe I get from the majority here.

It hasn't upset me. It just seems that you get very worked up about people voicing displeasure. I just think that it's the function of the message board for people with all takes to discuss things back-and-forth.

But yes, I did take exception with your post because it insinuated that I am anti-Mac even though I am a huge supporter of Mac and I think he's going to turn our program around. I just didn't say anything that you attributed to me in that post.

Recruiting is only half the battle. Coaching is the other. And I think he's a hell of a coach.

I think he's mainly having a hard time closing on recruits because kids just don't believe in the program right now. And until he gets a QB and shows significant improvement on offense top tier recruits are just not going to come.

I think the realists knew that this year would not be the best recruiting year ever. Next year should be significantly better with Allen in the fold and a strong, deep O-line.

As I alluded to earlier in this thread, I'm actually pretty impressed with his recruiting on offense. But I am less than impressed with recruiting on defense. I'm not sure what Collins is doing. Is he even recruiting? It looks like Rumph is recruiting the majority of the DL. The DB class is mediocre and it shouldn't be. Shannon is recruiting hard but I thought for sure we would have a couple top-tier LBs in this class especially with the depth issues. Not sure what's going on there.

It's a work in progress. He's already recruited significantly better than Chump by addressing areas of need. Chump generally only addressed those with JUCOs. Which killed our player pipeline. And of course Chump couldn't hold a candle to Mac in terms of coaching.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I agree with you but rest assured, I dont get worked up. I do feel like there needs to be another side or voice when it comes to recruiting besides all the negative we read here on a daily basis. My god, Mac came into a broken mess. He managed to salvage the recruiting class last year and using his words, he is looking for players that "fit" into his system as well as fit into the university. Its possible that while we think recruit x is ideal for our team, he may not be recruiting him because he doesnt fit.

I dont claim to be an expert on recruiting or on football in general but I see Mac as a guy that knows what he wants and knows what he is doing and he needs to be given the opportunity to do his job. There are some here that may not admit it but they would start a "fire Mac" website as soon as we lose one game next year. Its crazy for sure.

Nobody knows for sure if we will play for a championship under Mac or not but I have alot of hope and optimism that we are trending up and we hired the right guy at the right time...well, we hired him later than we really should have. Anyhow, you can expect me to kick against the majority on this subject so try not to take it personal. Im the opposite of all the gloom and doom I read here daily.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Even though Will Grier (I really wanted to stop talking about him) never really set the world on fire before getting himself suspended, I think anybody with half a brain could see what our offense under JMac is "supposed" to look like with a half way decent QB that can get the offense in the right sets against the right defensive alignments, and hit a wide open receiver when it's there for the taking. Good offensive skill players should be looking at the opportunity to play early, and in an exciting offense that will mix it up and spread the ball around. I get both sides of the argument. At times it seem our staff can't seem to get solid commitments from the big names out there, but I remind those folks that seem to be dwelling on the appearance we're in a position to "miss" some of these guys, that JMac and his staff brought in some pretty big needs already in the 2015 class, and did that with only 2 weeks to work. NSD isn't here yet, so I just don't see the justification to start to panic yet either. There's still time and a LOT of uncommitted guys out there.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
There are many who act as though NSD doesnt exist and if these top recruits arent committing to us early, they wont ever commit.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We do seem to be trending down with Wilson but that could change if he actually visits and brings his family down like he says he is.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.