Mike Farrell's five star prediction thread

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
I agree with you but rest assured, I dont get worked up. I do feel like there needs to be another side or voice when it comes to recruiting besides all the negative we read here on a daily basis. My god, Mac came into a broken mess. He managed to salvage the recruiting class last year and using his words, he is looking for players that "fit" into his system as well as fit into the university. Its possible that while we think recruit x is ideal for our team, he may not be recruiting him because he doesnt fit.

I dont claim to be an expert on recruiting or on football in general but I see Mac as a guy that knows what he wants and knows what he is doing and he needs to be given the opportunity to do his job. There are some here that may not admit it but they would start a "fire Mac" website as soon as we lose one game next year. Its crazy for sure.

Nobody knows for sure if we will play for a championship under Mac or not but I have alot of hope and optimism that we are trending up and we hired the right guy at the right time...well, we hired him later than we really should have. Anyhow, you can expect me to kick against the majority on this subject so try not to take it personal. Im the opposite of all the gloom and doom I read here daily.

This. Yeah, some here seem to think if we show a little optimism we're somehow not realistic.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
This. Yeah, some here seem to think if we show a little optimism we're somehow not realistic.
On the other hand, people that voice some concern are ridiculed by those that feel differently. It goes both ways. Its a message board and everyone has and is allowed to have an opinion. If someone has a different take than another, it doesn't mean its a personal attack against that person and shouldn't elicit that type of a response. Everyone on both sides needs to just chill.

Lets all hug it out. :grouphug:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I agree we beat FSU with Grier (Bama not so much). We had receivers running wide all game yet Harris couldn't hit them.

Plus our D was shutting them down until they got worn down (thanks offense).

LSU is a toss up as Harris played pretty well. He did miss open receivers quite a bit in that game too, but it's still a toss up to me.

Hard to argue otherwise. Forget Grier, if we could simply manage to execute a basic FG(we had 3 opportunities), we would've been down 13-11 after the safety, with us getting the ball, with less than 9 minutes to go in the game. That's not debatable.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Hard to argue otherwise. Forget Grier, if we could simply manage to execute a basic FG(we had 3 opportunities), we would've been down 13-11 after the safety, with us getting the ball, with less than 9 minutes to go in the game. That's not debatable.

sofla, apparently you didn't get the memo, according to some the line and kicking issues are also Treon's fault. Then also McElwains fault for not trying something else (even through we tried how many kickers?)

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I honestly felt that Bama and FSU dialed it back some knowing we could not score.I think both were playing it on the safer side. Field position and don't turn it over. The Gators can't score. Just MHO. Michigan ram rodded us. I'mm sure this sin't a popular position but it is all conjecture. We were blown out no matter how you look at it.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I honestly felt that Bama and FSU dialed it back some knowing we could not score.I think both were playing it on the safer side. Field position and don't turn it over. The Gators can't score. Just MHO. Michigan ram rodded us. I'mm sure this sin't a popular position but it is all conjecture. We were blown out no matter how you look at it.

Bama and Michigan had our ass. FSU was inconsistent offensively, which is why we were in that game. When they can't run the ball, which they couldn't through the first 2.5 quarters, they are ineffective. So I understand SoFla's point. FSU hasn't been consistent against any team with a above average defense. Bama obviously called off the dogs, and Michigan wanted to prove a point.

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Just took a look at our recruiting rankings on rivals, and it's ridiculous that people are even complaining that much about it. The only thing that I would criticize is the large amount of DB’s. However, when you look at this class, you have the top kicker committed, top juco running back committed, a 4* juco WR committed, you have 3 4* receivers committed in this class, 3 more big O lineman committed along with 3 more linebackers, both of which are needs. And of course we have Franks and Trask coming in at the QB position. So again, what is everybody complaining about again? People need to remember that Muschamp took us down a few notches, and it's going to take a couple recruiting classes to stock the cupboards again. I'm excited about this recruiting class.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Florida coaches R. Shannon, C. Rumph, K. Dixon, & D. Nussmeier will visit Tatum/Polite, Burns/Eubanks, Craig-Myers &Jayvaughn Myers today

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

As Douglas said, I'll give you the Ala and Mich games. We were outmatched entirely. The fsu game is a different story all together. Again, there's no way to call a 2 point game with the ball and 8 minutes to play, a blowout. And that's exactly what it would've been if our scholly FG kicker was able to do what 90% of kickers around the country can do. Even as it was, it was an 11 point deficit late in the 4th. And considering the last Cook TD was a misdirection play--following a timeout--that he broke for a TD with like :20 left on the clock, I think it's obvious Fisher wanted to score as much as possible.

But if you go back to the original point that was being made, I don't think it's a stretch to say we beat fsu with Grier. We missed on some critical plays to Callaway when we had the chance to score. Unlike the ut game, the QB didn't make the throws.

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015

If we could kick 65 yard field goals we would have been winning. Oh wait ...

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
4 Star OG John Simpson is visiting this weekend.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Visitors this weekend:

Commits: Polite, Heggie, and Taylor (OL)

Targets:

OL: 4* [#3 OG] Landon Dickerson (6-5, 297, Hudson, NC South Caldwell) and 4* John Simpson [#11 OG] (6-4, 288, North Charleston, SC, Fort Dorchester),
LB: 4* [#4 ILB] Dontavious Jackson (6-2, 238, Houston, TX Elsik) and 4* [#21 OLB] Jaleel Laguins (6-1, 210, Watkinsville, GA Oconee County)
CB: 3* [NR S] Chris Brown (5-11, 190, Houston, TX Elsik) -- Dontavious' friend

https://www.gatorcountry.com/feature/florida-gators-recruiting-visitors-list-for-january-15th/

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Visitors this weekend:

Commits: Polite, Heggie, and Taylor (OL)

Targets:

OL: 4* [#3 OG] Landon Dickerson (6-5, 297, Hudson, NC South Caldwell) and 4* John Simpson [#11 OG] (6-4, 288, North Charleston, SC, Fort Dorchester),
LB: 4* [#4 ILB] Dontavious Jackson (6-2, 238, Houston, TX Elsik) and 4* [#21 OLB] Jaleel Laguins (6-1, 210, Watkinsville, GA Oconee County)
CB: 3* [NR S] Chris Brown (5-11, 190, Houston, TX Elsik) -- Dontavious' friend

https://www.gatorcountry.com/feature/florida-gators-recruiting-visitors-list-for-january-15th/
I'm all for 230+ pound LB's so I'm really hoping we land Jackson.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.