Momma always said….

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
I got arrested once when I was 16, and even though it wasn’t an egregious offense, the prosecutor or DA wanted to throw the book at me and give me some ridiculous set of punishments. I’ll never forget on the drive home, I’m just sitting there completely dejected. And I remember saying to my mom that it didn’t seem fair. She momentarily broke character and said she agreed with me, that this punishment did not seem to fit the crime and even stated that it was an imperfect system that would inevitably have flaws. “However”, she then said, “this is why you don’t put your life in their hands.”

I still don’t watch wrestling or eat more than 2 scoops of ice cream. But more than anything else, those words have stuck with me to this day. Never forgot them.
Similar story. I’ve always looked like I was 12 and got caught underage drinking at UF. Long story short, I was being really stupid. My mom did have my back and hired a lawyer to help me out. The shame I felt was far worse than any lecture she could have given me.

Our son did something really, really stupid for such a smart kid. After my anger passed I shared my story with him. Hope he remembers it.

Seedy

Totally not CDGator
Oct 17, 2020
Kathy Bates Mama Boucher GIF
adam sandler teeth GIF
kathy bates girl GIF
the waterboy GIF

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I’ve said this before but my mom harped on many things, usually in somewhat unorthodox fashion. A few specials:

“Herschel Walker is the worst person that ever walked this earth.”
Now I know why you are a gator fan. He caused gator fans more misery than Lindsey Scott ever did.
"Sticks and stones....". Obviously, something liberals have never heard. Words are not weapons you sniveling snowflake.
shtttt that was a normal part of speech for all of us growing up.............. I know my words or even a meme causes the snow to fall in the PF.
My grandmother said "dont lend any money to someone if you cannot afford to give it to them. Mom would say you have cooked your goose" when I gone to far.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
"Focus on God, your spouse, your family, and your country...and everything else will fall in place."

LaylaGator

Born to Hate Florida State
Lifetime Member
Feb 28, 2021
I can seriously relate to this. Maybe it’s a mother/daughter relationship.
I started this thread, and yet I have nothing to really add. Isn’t it ironic?
My mother was a very fearful person and I try hard not to do that to our kids, but how do you teach them to have a healthy fear without being afraid of the world? I have a lot more respect for my mom and what she was trying to teach us now that she has passed. She did have a lot of wisdom but I just didn’t listen back then. I do credit my frugal nature and ability to save money to her.

Take time to listen to her while you still can.
I absolutely thank God for every day that my Mom is here with us, some days more proactively than others. Lol. But I do fear the day that I'm staring at a blank space, and I try not to dwell on it. It will hit my son the hardest of all. They're besties.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Similar story. I’ve always looked like I was 12 and got caught underage drinking at UF. Long story short, I was being really stupid. My mom did have my back and hired a lawyer to help me out. The shame I felt was far worse than any lecture she could have given me.

Our son did something really, really stupid for such a smart kid. After my anger passed I shared my story with him. Hope he remembers it.

Most of us(boys) don’t learn things the easy way, or first time. So my guess is he’ll remember it, but will also take what you say following his next misstep to heart as well. And the third, and so on. It will be all benefit him.

Anyway, enough sappy stuff. Seems like we’re officially underage drinking arrest buddies. Also got an open container citing in 2005 before the Vu game, which put me on probation in Alachua county for a year. The original story was St Johns. So I had some county difficulties at one point. And don’t even get me started on your great commonwealth there.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Most of us(boys) don’t learn things the easy way, or first time. So my guess is he’ll remember it, but will also take what you say following his next misstep to heart as well. And the third, and so on. It will be all benefit him.

Anyway, enough sappy stuff. Seems like we’re officially underage drinking arrest buddies. Also got an open container citing in 2005 before the Vu game, which put me on probation in Alachua county for a year. The original story was St Johns. So I had some county difficulties at one point. And don’t even get me started on your great commonwealth there.

My mom would say, "In every garden some rain must fall"

jeeping8r

Your car may go fast, Mine will go anywhere
Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
My mom is an old yankee from mass of two schiffs (massachusetts for those not playing), only thing she said in my formative years that stuck is "nobody is above a swift kick in the pants".

Dad said same except he said kick in the ass

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My mom was most comfortable in a Family Storm and if there wasn't one, she would create it.

As someone else said, "wait until your father gets home".

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I absolutely thank God for every day that my Mom is here with us, some days more proactively than others. Lol. But I do fear the day that I'm staring at a blank space, and I try not to dwell on it. It will hit my son the hardest of all. They're besties.

There is no way to really prepare for that day, it will be devastating regardless.
Keep doing what you are doing and appreciate her every day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator