Momma always said….

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Imagine saying this to your mother
Yet when you point out why this is happening, even here people get triggered.

Train up a child in the way he/she should go; even when he/she is old he/she will not depart from it.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Gina Torres Yes GIF by Identity

Another thing my mom often said is never post a gif with shirtlesss men in the background. She was very specific.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
In looking back my mother often scolded me to 'clear my plate'. Usually with supporting statements about how hard she works all day and then cooks a meal for us, how there are starving kids in Africa, and other standard guilt tropes (yes, she was/is a pretty hard Catholic with her guilt trips).

I've grown to be an overweight man. One who often orders light when the family goes out, because I end up clearing everyone's plates, even if I don't want their left overs. That upbringing absolutely had an impact on my wiring for later in life. I can see it, recognize when it's happening, but still am generally unable to break the cycle of 'not wasting food'.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
So, when I was about 11, we were eating dinner and there were English peas on my plate, which I hated. My momma said something like there are starving children in China who would love those peas. I replied (or started to) that we could box them up and ship them to...about then the back of my daddy's hand impacted the side of my face and I got unseated. Where upon I finished the peas and asked my momma to forgive my insolence. Daddy never said a word. I still don't eat English peas.

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
In looking back my mother often scolded me to 'clear my plate'. Usually with supporting statements about how hard she works all day and then cooks a meal for us, how there are starving kids in Africa, and other standard guilt tropes (yes, she was/is a pretty hard Catholic with her guilt trips).

I've grown to be an overweight man. One who often orders light when the family goes out, because I end up clearing everyone's plates, even if I don't want their left overs. That upbringing absolutely had an impact on my wiring for later in life. I can see it, recognize when it's happening, but still am generally unable to break the cycle of 'not wasting food'.

pull back from the trough

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020

Must be a catholic thing. Seedy’s family of 10 talked about “FHB” when company came over. Family Hold Backs, to let the guests have more. However many of them say “I’ll eat it just to get rid of it” even if they aren’t hungry which is something their dad often said. Nothing wrong with not wasting the food but portion control is important. Maybe they always had to clear their plates to not waste food which I understand. Several in his family though can sit down with a bag of chips and eat the whole thing.

On the other hand I was never told to clear my plate as a kid so when I’m full, I stop. No more. My stomach and brain say enough. It’s just an observation but it must how you were raised.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Must be a catholic thing. Seedy’s family of 10

Aye. My mom was raised in a strong Catholic house, the oldest of six kids.

I have had the conversations with my kids, trying to prevent them from being like me. Since he was 10 he'll always ask me "are you hungry, or are you just eating it because it's there?" He's trying to help me with my problem.

LaylaGator

Born to Hate Florida State
Lifetime Member
Feb 28, 2021
Aye. My mom was raised in a strong Catholic house, the oldest of six kids.

I have had the conversations with my kids, trying to prevent them from being like me. Since he was 10 he'll always ask me "are you hungry, or are you just eating it because it's there?" He's trying to help me with my problem.
I feel for you, TLB. The fact that you are aware of your issue is so awesome, though! There are counselors who specialize in eating disorders of all kind. I would explore that next step and conquer the problem once and for all. Find the right professional for you, and they can help retrain your brain on how it sees food.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
You Are Right Taika Waititi GIF by IMDb

You can right or you can be happy

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
I was trying to think of something to add but was coming up empty until TLB posted about eating peas. My mother would cook turnip greens quite often when I was growing up. I hated them. I mean, I absolutely hated them and still do. Mom would always tell me to eat some because, "they will make you pretty." I would roll my eyes (I sat far enough away from Dad to avoid the back-hand) and continue eating what I wanted. Then years after I had grown up and moved away I was over for dinner one night and she served turnip greens again and repeated her line. I looked at her and said, "Mom, I've seen you eat those things for years and you haven't gotten any prettier." Of course, she knew that I was teasing her but she still threatened my life nonetheless...

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
When I went through my divorce of my first wife, I asked my Mom if she thought I should/would ever get married again.

And she said, "I hope so and I hope that your next marriage is as good as mine. I'd like you to know how blessed a marriage can be"

My parents were married 63 years before Dad died. I'd like to think my second marriage is as good as my parents marriage was. I am truly blessed.

Note: My first wife is proof, Satan has siblings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.