Most anticipated part of the Spring Game

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
If Mac pits the #1 offense against the #2 defense again we won't learn anything.

It will just set us up for false hope like we had with LDR after last season's spring game.

If he does that again this year I won't even bother to watch.
Get ready not to watch cause that's exactly what's going to happen. Franks will be on the 1st team O vs 2nd team D...Trask will be going against the 1st D and I'll bet all my Ox Bucks he'll outperform Franks AGAIN! Anyone who wants that bet just let me know.

Last edited:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Get ready not to watch cause that's exactly what's going to happen. Franks will be on the 1st team O vs 2nd team D...Trask will be going against the 1st D and I'll be all my Ox Bucks he'll outperform Franks AGAIN! Anyone who wants that bet just let me know.

Don't be surprised if Mac keeps Franks stuff really low interception material type stuff but then again the 3 picks he threw last Spring game were pretty crazy mistakes.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
So one practice is going to get these boys ready to play in front of over 100,000 people in Jerry World against Michigan? You believing in the false hope isn't a Spring Showcase issue, it's believing that a showcase is a real representation of what to expect. Practice against ourselves is no more a barometer, than playing NCAA 2013 on a gaming system. As Tyson said "Everyone has a plan until they are punched in the mouth". We aren't going to punch ourselves in the mouth.

I'd rather have a more accurate representation of where our team stands right now, and since we're not going to scrimmage any other team, I want to see the 1's vs 1's and 2's vs 2's. I know the coaches want to make it exciting for the fans and try to showcase some offensive firepower. You may like the attempt at false advertising the spring games usually represent, but I'd rather something more accurate. Not asking for the playbook to be emptied out, just wanting best vs best and giving full effort. And yes it would help the team going forward more than just to put on a " play" like you suggest.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I'd rather have a more accurate representation of where our team stands right now, and since we're not going to scrimmage any other team, I want to see the 1's vs 1's and 2's vs 2's. I know the coaches want to make it exciting for the fans and try to showcase some offensive firepower. You may like the attempt at false advertising the spring games usually represent, but I'd rather something more accurate. Not asking for the playbook to be emptied out, just wanting best vs best and giving full effort. And yes it would help the team going forward more than just to put on a " play" like you suggest.

Sure we would all love to have a real, accurate, jock strap rocking scrimmage......it's just not going to happen. The game will put with strengths, weaknesses, and personnel to work on those areas. Prep for Meatchicken will not begin until Saturday AM after the debut. To me this is one of Mac's biggest games. Two teams with relatively unknown areas to predict. UF will have the advantage of having perhaps more depth returning that played in crucial games last year due to injuries/youth. But this spring game will have nothing to do with gauging where we are in relation to that game. So it is just another play to the camera event.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
It's a morsel of football is the off-season desert. So yes, I'll take it. This is my one chance to see them "run around a little out there" and "do some things."

The QB play will be interesting - except where we see walk-ons at DB trying to cover scholarship WR and walk-on LBs holding down the 2nd level.

Otherwise, I'll want to see who wins the Terrence "Hot Tamale" Holmes award for great a spring game, only to disappear again in the fall.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Sure we would all love to have a real, accurate, jock strap rocking scrimmage......it's just not going to happen. The game will put with strengths, weaknesses, and personnel to work on those areas. Prep for Meatchicken will not begin until Saturday AM after the debut. To me this is one of Mac's biggest games. Two teams with relatively unknown areas to predict. UF will have the advantage of having perhaps more depth returning that played in crucial games last year due to injuries/youth. But this spring game will have nothing to do with gauging where we are in relation to that game. So it is just another play to the camera event.

I agree that what I want to see more than likely ain't going to come close to happening, trust me I've seen plenty of spring games. But this is the closest to a real game scenario that the inexperienced QB's will have before the Michigan game, let's put them in some pressure situations in front of a large crowd instead of giving them a "Pro Bowl game like defense" to throw against. Not calling for hitting the QB's, but make them uncomfortable. Does nobody want to see them challenge these young QB's.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I would not only challenge them but, especially with Trask since he has no college OR high school experience, I would take the no contact jersey off also. Hit them, not kill them but hit them. A live game cant be the first time he takes a helmet to the chin. No amount of flag football gets you ready for the real thing.

Last edited:

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
I woukd not only challenge them but especially with Trask since he has no college OR high school experience, I would take the no contact jersey off also. Hit them, no kill them but hit them. A live game cant be the first time he takes a helmet to the chin. No amount of flag football gets you ready for the real thing.

Well I guess we're some of the few that want this to happen, everyone else wants a powderpuff flag football game that even made Del Rio look decent last spring. The problem is that does nothing to serve to the betterment of this team, and further development of the young QB's.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I haven't gone to the spring game since 2009 when Tebow was QB. There is just no excitement around the game and not worth the 2 hour drive even though I LOVE the campus and the Gators. No excitement since we have had garbage offenses since 2010 too.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
I would not only challenge them but, especially with Trask since he has no college OR high school experience, I would take the no contact jersey off also. Hit them, not kill them but hit them. A live game cant be the first time he takes a helmet to the chin. No amount of flag football gets you ready for the real thing.
Bingo

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I mostly agree with this. On one hand, you don't want to unnecessarily set yourself back with injuries...that said, even outside of the QB position we have lots of young talent on the team. The only true way to get them game experience, is to make it as close to a full speed realistic game as possible, and that includes playing the depth chart comparatively and allowing for as much hitting as possible...you could still limit some of the hits, to some extent, but the reality is, they need to be roughed up to be ready for the real thing.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member

You make a valid point, but since it's you, I will have to disagree on principle alone. Good day.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
AR-FBALL-37-R.png

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Yep they need to truly be challenged and if they aren't going to take the no hit rule away at least let the defense change things up to try to confuse them some. Heck Trask has no experience and Franks has been a turnover machine since he left his high school. We need to see them under more realistic scenarios or we may just get an LDR repeat again in the game.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
At least they should have a better line to protect them....hopefully...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator