Mullen beat Meyer in year 2 at MSU

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I would have fired Fooley on the tarmac the second he got off the plane in New Orleans.
Let me quote Jer from 2002.

"I think Ron's the perfect guy to replace Steve because he's so unlike Steve, and I don't mean that in a negative way. He's not trying to be Steve. He's trying to be himself. If there's only one guy who can win here, and that's Steve Spurrier, then we need to shut the doors down."

Yes, Jer really said that to a Chicago writer on Aug. 21, 2002.

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014

"I think Ron's the perfect guy to replace Steve because he's so unlike Steve, and I don't mean that in a negative way. He's not trying to be Steve. He's trying to be himself. If there's only one guy who can win here, and that's Steve Spurrier, then we need to shut the doors down."

What a fukking idiot.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
e07ed6539a99efb90bdedb3c3c40488f.jpg

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
We'll never have a coach like SOS. Such great memories. I was trying to find a video link to that road win against Bama...I think it was 99...like a 16-7 game or something, and he said--after the game--"We don't play like champions anymore ... we play like a bunch of losers." He took a lot of criticism for that, then we won the SEC the next year. I stand corrected if I'm wrong, but the point is that we need a coach with that kind of confidence; if you're playing like losers acknowledge it--not this "we played our tales off," or "we'll fix it" bullshyt.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
We'll never have a coach like SOS. Such great memories. I was trying to find a video link to that road win against Bama...I think it was 99...like a 16-7 game or something, and he said--after the game--"We don't play like champions anymore ... we play like a bunch of losers." He took a lot of criticism for that, then we won the SEC the next year. I stand corrected if I'm wrong, but the point is that we need a coach with that kind of confidence; if you're playing like losers acknowledge it--not this "we played our tales off," or "we'll fix it" bullshyt.

The game your referring to was in ‘98 I believe and we won like 16-10, should’ve destroyed them, but kept shooting ourself in the foot. The next year is when Bama would beat us twice, first was a one point loss in Gainesville that we should’ve won and Bama would’ve likely fired Dubois right after the game cause he was on a super hot seat. They pulled that game out and finished the season strong including throttling us in the SEC Championship Game, in what had to be Spurrier’s worst offensive performance as our coach. The next year in 2000 is when we would get back on top of the conference by whipping Auburn (twice ironically as well) and Bama only won like 3 or 4 games and Dubois was fired.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Saban fields NFL talent in most positions every year. I doubt Saban would've beat Meyer if roles were switched that year.

Did you not see how many of the players Meyer has sent to the NFL from Ohio State... lets not pretend he isn't fielding NFL talent at most positions too.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
Atleast UGA was the SEC champ this season.
Fixed it. I don't like UGA either! You will find I come after FSU and UGA. Just being objective with the point that the East was not completely weak if one of the East's teams won the SEC championship.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
Did you not see how many of the players Meyer has sent to the NFL from Ohio State... lets not pretend he isn't fielding NFL talent at most positions too.
Meyer hustles in recruiting. Mullen hustles also and knows how Meyer recruits the talent via hard work. With the new UF football center coming in 3 years I expect Mullen's recruiting to continually improve.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Meyer hustles in recruiting. Mullen hustles also and knows how Meyer recruits the talent via hard work. With the UF new football center coming in 3 years I expect Mullen's recruiting to continually improve.

We can hope Mullen has that drive to recruit like Meyer or Saban. But Meyer and Sabans of the coaching world are completely different animals. If Mullen was the same kind of recruiter that Meyer or Saban are, then his record at MSU would have been vastly different. Talent is too important in NCAA football. That's not a knock on Mullen, because their on very very few Meyer/Saban type CEO's in NCAA football.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018

Zook was the perfect transition coach with Spurrier scratching his NFL itch and leaving suddenly. Good replacement head coaches generally do not want to follow a school legend. Zook was dumb enough to fire but a relentless recruiter who put together a good portion of the talent that attracted Meyer which Meyer used to win the national championship in 2006.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Zook was the perfect transition coach with Spurrier scratching his NFL itch and leaving suddenly. Good replacement head coaches generally do not want to follow a school legend. Dumb enough to fire but a relentless recruiter who put together a good portion of the talent that attracted Meyer which Meyer used to win the national championship in 2006.
There's really no reason that the next coach has to suck.

Okie promoted their OC and actually got better. Va tech, Ugly. Plenty of schools do hire coaches that continue their winning ways (relative to their own university standards).

"Transition coach" is a made up term and an excuse for a piss poor AD with no skill at hiring head ball coaches.

He should have been the perfect coach to teach Fooley that he didn't know anything about hiring head ball coaches and that hiring the nice guy, who happens to be your ole buddy, isn't the answer.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Zook was the perfect transition coach with Spurrier scratching his NFL itch and leaving suddenly. Good replacement head coaches generally do not want to follow a school legend. Zook was dumb enough to fire but a relentless recruiter who put together a good portion of the talent that attracted Meyer which Meyer used to win the national championship in 2006.
Easy to refer to him in hindsight as perfect knowing perfect was to follow.

No, there was very little about Zook I found perfect beyond perfectly awful.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
There's really no reason that the next coach has to suck.

Okie promoted their OC and actually got better. Va tech, Ugly. Plenty of schools do hire coaches that continue their winning ways (relative to their own university standards).

"Transition coach" is a made up term and an excuse for a piss poor AD with no skill at hiring head ball coaches.

He should have been the perfect coach to teach Fooley that he didn't know anything about hiring head ball coaches and that hiring the nice guy, who happens to be your ole buddy, isn't the answer.
I know it is difficult for you to be objective with your hate of Foley.

Objective people understand that a last minute top head coach replacement is hard to find and part of it is luck in relation to where all the top coaches are in terms of their contracts at that time. We went for the Bronco's head coach but he was in a great situation as was Stoops.

What top coach was on UF's staff at the time of Spurrier's departure was ready? The result of the 2 national championships that waiting till we could get a premier coach like Meyer validates what was done.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I know it is difficult for you to be objective with your hate of Foley.

Objective people understand that a last minute top head coach replacement is hard to find and part of it is luck in relation to where all the top coaches are in terms of their contracts at that time. We went for the Bronco's head coach but he was in a great situation as was Stoops.

What top coach was on UF's staff at the time of Spurrier's departure was ready? The result of the 2 national championships that waiting till we could get a premier coach like Meyer validates what was done.

That is some revisionist history right there.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
Easy to refer to him in hindsight as perfect knowing perfect was to follow.

No, there was very little about Zook I found perfect beyond perfectly awful.
We were scrambling and the top head coach replacements were in better situations then. Following a school legend coach who had been recruiting poorly on the OL his last few years was not attractive. So you got the high expectations but that is hard to achieve when your team is weak in the trenches. Zook had to bring in last second juco OLs because the OL was so weak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.