Mullen/McElwain: Night and Day!

Woodroe

Sir Knowitall
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
I will save my props for Mullen until he wins some big games.

I was where you are when Mullen was hired. Been burned too many times by coaches that I hopped on board too quick (especially muschamp) . Told myself I would reserve judgment. Hell, when someone asks me face to face about the new coach I still say I'm reserving judgment (I have to look like I know what I'm talking about in front of employees, clients and in laws).

But in reality I'm too tired to fight it. Don't have the time or energy to keep up the facade. I'm just going to go ahead and get hyped. Makes life a lot easier and my kids don't think I'm as grouchy.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
I think you guys are forgetting how good this recruiting class was before McElwain's firing (and with a crappy product on the field; Nuss should have been gone a long time ago). It was top 10 when he got canned. Not saying that Mullen isn't doing very well, but he's recruiting somewhat different guys to fit his system.
Nope. Not forgetting. I was very impressed with the class Mac was putting together. You may remember that was why I supported Mac long enough to be called a pumper. And it was impressive, as you say, because the product had been so poor.

But I am still impressed that CDM can come in so late and get OVs. As I have said, I will be more impressed If they sign with us.

jereed16

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think you guys are forgetting how good this recruiting class was before McElwain's firing (and with a crappy product on the field; Nuss should have been gone a long time ago). It was top 10 when he got canned. Not saying that Mullen isn't doing very well, but he's recruiting somewhat different guys to fit his system.
You can't predict what would have happened but can only look at where it was when he got fired. If you have a crystal ball, please provide some stock tips.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I was where you are when Mullen was hired. Been burned too many times by coaches that I hopped on board too quick (especially muschamp) . Told myself I would reserve judgment. Hell, when someone asks me face to face about the new coach I still say I'm reserving judgment (I have to look like I know what I'm talking about in front of employees, clients and in laws).

But in reality I'm too tired to fight it. Don't have the time or energy to keep up the facade. I'm just going to go ahead and get hyped. Makes life a lot easier and my kids don't think I'm as grouchy.
Do you actually think whether you hop on board or not is somehow going to affect anything or just being superstitious?

Woodroe

Sir Knowitall
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
Do you actually think whether you hop on board or not is somehow going to affect anything or just being superstitious?
Do you actually think that anything that anyone says here (especially you) is going to affect anything? Absolutely not. That's why I'm getting hyped.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You can't predict what would have happened but can only look at where it was when he got fired. If you have a crystal ball, please provide some stock tips.
We have a pretty good record of Butterteeth being "in on a good class" then failing to produce on NSD and that was while he was still eaking out close victories over the Vandies and FAUs of the world and before he went 4-8.

Moreover, those classes were ranked primarily on having so many in the class at a time when most schools didn't have pledges yet. it wasn't a great class as far as number of blue chippers/GPA was concerned. that's especially true for the 2019 class.

Acecustis

Sep 25, 2017
I was on the Frost wagon but I will give Mullen his props, for a transition class this is turning out better than anything Mac did.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
The major differences I see are:

Zero worry the moment it too big for him. We may lose, but that won’t be the issue

Staff is better. Not only no Nuss, but Knox over Nord? I don’t think it’s that big a deal for a coach to shift positions and just about anyone could start from scratch and be better than Nord. You can learn technique etc. and teach that and he has Gonzales to guide him. The bigger issue is reaching young men. He’s clearly excellent at that. And special teams HAS to improve with him.

(I hope CDM follows Meyer’s philosophy of special teams being an honor and critical phase, not an afterthought.)

We haven’t had a decent WR corps since Gonzales left. He’s back and I’ll assume he’s learned a bit while he’s been away.

The quantum leap in strength and conditioning has begun. We may lose, but that won’t be the issue. It will take years for that to fully manifest but we should see significant gains by this fall.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I dont think Butters first staff beats Mullinz first staff at any position.

Last edited:

jereed16

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We have a pretty good record of Butterteeth being "in on a good class" then failing to produce on NSD and that was while he was still eaking out close victories over the Vandies and FAUs of the world and before he went 4-8.

Moreover, those classes were ranked primarily on having so many in the class at a time when most schools didn't have pledges yet. it wasn't a great class as far as number of blue chippers/GPA was concerned. that's especially true for the 2019 class.
You appear to have selective amnesia. The first class he brought in went from ranked in the 90s to the 20s in a very short time. People here were creaming their pants at the time. C'mon, I think McElwain should have cut Nuss loose a long time ago but let's not pretend people weren't excited at the time that Mac did a very good job at closing the recruiting class shortly after being hired.

Wuerffel4Pres

No offense
Lifetime Member
Aug 27, 2016

I'm already hated here, so I'm just gonna add to the pile of hate at this point. Remember that quote above? It's just as true today.

It's incredibly mindboggling how so many people on this board were against the Mullen hire, but now have completely changed their tune.

Based on what? His coaching hires? His recruiting? His attitude with the fans and the media? His excitement to be here?

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah!

Are you all that freaking blind and naive?

I go by the eye test. And we have seen the eye test of what a Dan Mullen coached team does on the field for years.

Dan Mullen= 108 passing offense this season at Mississippi State. I thought the point was to hire a coach who can fix our offense, not more of the same.

NOTHING Dan Mullen does in the off-season is going to make me change my opinion even 1%. It was an absolutely terrible, boring and easy hire then and it still is.

Unless he proves it on the field (and believe me, he won't), Gator Nation is absolutely f--ked.

You people kill me. You really do.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm already hated here, so I'm just gonna add to the pile of hate at this point. Remember that quote above? It's just as true today.

It's incredibly mindboggling how so many people on this board were against the Mullen hire, but now have completely changed their tune.

Based on what? His coaching hires? His recruiting? His attitude with the fans and the media? His excitement to be here?

I go by the eye test. And we have seen the eye test of what a Dan Mullen coached team does on the field for years.

Dan Mullen= 108 passing offense this season at Mississippi State. I thought the point was to hire a coach who can fix our offense, not more of the same.

NOTHING Dan Mullen does in the off-season is going to make me change my opinion even 1%. It was an absolutely terrible, boring and easy hire then and it still is.

Unless he proves it on the field (and believe me, he won't), Gator Nation is absolutely f--ked.

DM>JM. DM>WM (at least when he was here)

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015

Context matters.

Offenses ranked 98th, 82nd & 94th, passing offenses ranked 97th, 81st & 69th, 11-13 in conference and 2-1 in Liberty, Music City and BBVA Compass bowls aren’t impressive. Until you say “Vanderbilt - Franklin”. He did that vs. a very flimsy SECe and people generally and rightly recognized him as an excellent coach.

Mullen’s story at MSU is like that. His record and stats were at a perennial doormat playing in the toughest division in football - as Bama rounded into dominance, LSU always with top 5 talent, A&M coming into the league with Manziel, Freeze buying recruits, etc.

We also saw what a Dan Mullen offense with elite talent could do. And there’s no denying that history of QB development. Tebow is a freak but Alex Smith, Dak & Fitzgerald were projects he developed.

Most of my reservations about Mullen during the search had to do with his cockiness while at UF before. He didn’t show respect for our history and was defensive and even abrasive. But the guy can coach.

I’m seeing a different, engaging and wiser persona to go along with the drive and confidence.

Is there reason to doubt? Of course. But there’s a lot to encourage as well.

Woodroe

Sir Knowitall
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017

I was not exactly where you are but close when Mullen was hired. Been burned too many times by coaches that I hopped on board too quick (especially muschamp) . Told myself I would reserve judgment. Hell, even now when someone asks me face to face about the new coach I still say I'm reserving judgment (I have to look like I know what I'm talking about in front of employees, clients and in laws).

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.