Mullen: Talent isn't UF's issue, it's work ethic and buy-in

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I have a gallon of kool-aid I'll loan you if you want to drink it

This is the only time I’m going to say this. If you continue to do personal attacks on posters I’m going to send you on vacation.

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

What did I make up? You can trash the kid all you want, but he’s better than you’re giving him credit for. He was certainly a much better option at QB than anybody that started for us. Nobody said he was Aaron Rodgers.

If you wanna nitpick about his ability as a passer or my use of the word “competent”, I will clarify: Fitzgerald was competently UTILIZED at the QB position to maximize his strengths. Period. There is more to the QB position than simply throwing the ball. More often than not, his play on the field helped his team rather than hindering them. That’s what you want out of your QB.

And in regards to accountability, I stand by what I said. If Emory Jones proves to be the kind of quarterback that is physically gifted enough to make every throw as a Freshmen, I expect Mullen to coach him hard and expect him to play up to his potential. You can’t be held accountable for a lack of ability. Mullen obviously knew what Fitzgerald was capable of and didn’t put him in a position to fail. That’s called good coaching. You can’t say the past 2 coaches did that with any of the quarterbacks they recruited.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Fitzgerald was competently UTILIZED at the QB position to maximize his strengths. Period. .
No, he was utilized as a running back in an archaic offense. Maximizing his strengths etc is your "opinion" -- more like hope since its somewhat clear you havent watched any cowbell football-- and it is very debatable.

Mullen obviously knew what Fitzgerald was capable of and didn’t put him in a position to fail.
Did you.see his record? He failed A LOT.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
There may be folks predicting 6 wins....but nobody I can see that is saying it is acceptable. In fact, there is no doubt this board would implode on the way to a 6 win season. Mullen literally has no window with the base. Administration will give him no less than 3 years but the base will go off the rails THIS year if we are not winning.

But one side just keeps saying they are realists. Well realism works both ways. Dan Mullen is not winning the national championship this year. Period. I see a 9-3 regular season with a bowl win. I’ll take that with a top 10 recruiting season for 2019. If they fall short of that I will be disappointed but still on board.

Right now I’m excited for the O&B game and can’t wait for the season to start.

This year is a pass...until the early signing day. Big bucks...no whammys!

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
we can look at his record heading into 2018. 69-46(33-39)

Wins:Jackson St, Vandy, MTSU, Kentucky, Ole Miss

Memphis, Georgia, Alcorn St, Houston, Florida, UAB, Kentucky, Ole Miss, Michigan

Memphis, La Tech, UAB, Kentucky, Tenn-Martin, Ole Miss, Wake Forest

Jackson St, Auburn, Troy, S Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, MTSU, Arkansas

Alcorn St, Troy, Bowling Green, Kentucky, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Rice

So Miss, UAB, S Alabama, LSU, Texas A&M, Auburn, Kentucky, Arkansas, Tenn-Martin, Vanderbilt

So Miss, Northwestern State, Auburn, Troy, La Tech, Kentucky, Missouri, Arkansas, NC State

South Carolina, UMASS, Samford, Texas A&M, Ole Miss, Miami(OH)

Charleston Southern, la Tech, LSU, byu, UK, TAMU, UMass, ark,

vs Sun Belt:5-1
vs MAC:3-0
vs C USA 10-0
vs AAC 3-1
vs 1AA 9-0
vs P5 1-3

So thats a record of 31-5 in non-conference games against bad teams. That gives him 3.4 wins a year.

Also of note, Miss State has played a power 5 team three times during their non-conference schedule and has lost all of them(BYU, Oklahoma State, Georgia Tech) except to 4-9 BYU.

Kentucky is their permanent game from the east. They are 8-1 against them under Mullen. Also, 2-0 against Vanderbilt, and 1-0 against a bad Missouri two years ago.
Thats a record of 11-1.

So we've accounted for 41 of his 69 wins there.

He is 4-5 career against Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, and South Carolina. Thats not bad right there.

Lets look at his bowl record before heading to the west. Wins against Miami(OH), North Carolina State(7-6), Rice, Wake Forest(6-7), and Michigan(7-6). Losses against Georgia Tech(10-3), and Northwestern(9-3).

We are up to 51 wins, with the signature wins against a 7-6 Michigan team in a bowl, a 6-7 Georgia team, and a 8-5 Florida team.

vs the West
Alabama 0-9
LSU 2-7(win vs 8-5 LSU, 9-4)
Auburn 3-6(beat 8-5, 7-6 Auburn teams)
Arkansas 5-4(beat 7-6, 8-5 Arkansas teams)
Texas AM 3-3(beat 8-5, 8-5, 7-6 A&M teams)
Ole Miss 5-4(beat 8-5, 9-4 Ole Miss teams)

Only has a winning record against Ole Miss and Arkansas and his biggest win in his career is against a 9-4 Ole Miss teams and Ed O led LSU. The rest are against mediocre teams. He feasted on OOC cupcakes and UK. Hes a perennial 7-5 coach who has a lot to prove. Did you know that in 9 years at MSU and playing half his schedule against bad teams Dan's passing offense have only finished in the top 50 twice.

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
No, he was utilized as a running back in an archaic offense. Maximizing his strengths etc is your "opinion" -- more like hope since its somewhat clear you havent watched any cowbell football-- and it is very debatable.

Did you.see his record? He failed A LOT.

Whatever. You’re right. Mullen sucks, he can’t coach QBs, and you’re 100% correct even though you bitch about anything and everything. You win, bro.

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
Also $6M a year with a guaranteed $12M buyout Mullen has to bring championship here. We paid more money for him than UCLA paid Kelly, FSU paid Taggart, etc. Hell he is making more than 3/4s of the NFL head coaches. He's got to fix his passing game though. It's been too inconsistent (113th in 17) outside of the Dak years. Time will tell if Mullen is blowing smoke. I hope for all our sakes he gets us rolling again. UGA winning the SEC shouldn't happen at all.

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
Whatever. You’re right. Mullen sucks, he can’t coach QBs, and you’re 100% correct even though you ***** about anything and everything. You win, bro.
Calm down. You can't change facts. Let's hope Mullens problems at MSU were it being MSU. None of us want a decade or more of futility. There are concerns

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I think Mullen is the most risk adverse out of the group, but I also think he has the lowest ceiling of the group. We know who he is, he is a guy that will get us 7-10 wins a year, get us to the SEC Championship game. Maybe win it... but he isn't a guy you think will give us the ability to be in the conversation for a National Title year in and year out.

Do I think he will fail as much as our last two coaches? No. No where close, he knows how to run an SEC program.

Do I think we will reach the heights we reached under Meyer or Spurrier? Highly unlikely.
I don think he will either, but right now we need stability with someone that wants the job. Let’s hope he proves us wrong and kicks ass!

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Sherrill WON the west and went to Atlanta.

Sherill didnt schedule four directional schools every year to puff up his record and Sherrill doesnt own the worst record ever vs ranked teams.

You sure champion that cheater & castrater.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.