Muschamp: No plan to play 2 QBs

Gatorious

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
You laughed last week, but lose another game and the 'ZOOK WAS BETTER'/gatorchatter banner might sprout wings.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm positive Muschamp will be fired soon.

How's that for positive?

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
bQyT0Qf.gif

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Let's think about this logically for a second. To all of us, it may seem like Harris would be a great option to throw in there since JD hasn't played well so far this season. But WM is coaching for his job right now, and he knows it. Don't you think he would do everything he could to ensure more wins and keep his job? I mean, maybe he's so stubborn as to purposely sabotage his own job security, but that just wouldn't make sense.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
All off-season, we were hoping that Roper would be running the offense. That hope was officially shot to hell during that halftime interview against Bammer about 'running the ball more' and then the three runs up the gut after the 8 minute Bammer TD drive. If Duncechamp was smart, he would leave the offense 100% to Roper and focus on somehow getting the defense back on track.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n65934 said:
Let's think about this logically for a second. To all of us, it may seem like Harris would be a great option to throw in there since JD hasn't played well so far this season. But WM is coaching for his job right now, and he knows it. Don't you think he would do everything he could to ensure more wins and keep his job? I mean, maybe he's so stubborn as to purposely sabotage his own job security, but that just wouldn't make sense.

I understand he doesn't enough leash to take his lumps with a freshman but driskel is killing us offensively. I truly think one of the freshman has to be better than what we are getting out of driskel is the point.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
i think he's believes it's true. I also think he doesn't have clue about QBs, offense, or how to score points. Logically, the facts that he's put three straight 100+ offenses supports that proposition.

I'm going to put logically in every post now because it makes me seem smart. I learned that somewhere. It's so logical to not continue the same crap that got your coaching seat in nuclear status. However, some people aren't logical and want to continue doing what got them there... because it's all they know.

It's all good. If he were smart enough to let his OC run the offense, we could be stuck with his mediocrity for years.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

I understand what you're saying, Sas, and I agree with you in the sense that Muschamp is doing what he thinks is best to keep his job. The problem with Muschamp is that he is averse to risk; worse than even Zook was. It seems to be a predominant theme of DC's that become head coaches. The ones who can't learn how/when to take calculated risks just won't excel. Even Tony Dungy, as good of a defensive mind that he was for his time, never won it all until he was forced by order of the owner and GM to keep his grubby hands off the offense. Even then, it took a Dungy led team to play one of the worst NFC representatives in years in order to get that win, which was in doubt most of the game.

The main issue as I see it is that everyone seems to be coming to the conclusion that having Driskel hand the ball off gives us the best chance to win. If that's the case, Harris and Grier can both do that with ease which then begs the question of why do we need Jeff in the game at all? The risk of playing a true freshman in Muschamp's mind is blinding him to the fact that the option he's choosing to go with really isn't any better.

Of course this is just my opinion.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

Hey Sas I totally get what you're saying and understand it completely. Respect it as well. I would not throw Harris to the wolves so to speak at UT this weekend but if JD struggles again we have got to see if it is really him or not. 3 OC's in 4 years and the same denominator is Driskel. I do tend to think that yes WM is stubborn but almost to the degree he is scared to put TH in the game. But logic would also state that if JD continues to struggle a change may be in order to see if it sparks something becuase WM is coaching for his life. So let it all hang and and leave nothing on the table or bench if you will. We are almost at a point that what would it hurt for a couple of series. Several things could happen. JD gets on the bench and gets his head straight or who knows TH may light it up and JD never get off the bench. I just think we're at an uncertainty point that trying wouldn't hurt. But I would defintitely caution how its done on the road.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I Have No Friends :(;n65943 said:
I understand what you're saying, Sas, and I agree with you in the sense that Muschamp is doing what he thinks is best to keep his job. The problem with Muschamp is that he is averse to risk; worse than even Zook was. It seems to be a predominant theme of DC's that become head coaches. The ones who can't learn how/when to take calculated risks just won't excel. Even Tony Dungy, as good of a defensive mind that he was for his time, never won it all until he was forced by order of the owner and GM to keep his grubby hands off the offense. Even then, it took a Dungy led team to play one of the worst NFC representatives in years in order to get that win, which was in doubt most of the game.

The main issue as I see it is that everyone seems to be coming to the conclusion that having Driskel hand the ball off gives us the best chance to win. If that's the case, Harris and Grier can both do that with ease which then begs the question of why do we need Jeff in the game at all? The risk of playing a true freshman in Muschamp's mind is blinding him to the fact that the option he's choosing to go with really isn't any better.

Or maybe he sees Harris in practice every day and knows a hell of a lot more about what Harris's grasp of the playbook and current abilities to lead the offense are. I would imagine if Harris was lighting it up in practice and knew the playbook inside and out, he would be getting a chance.

I will say, regardless of whether JD starts the whole year or not, I don't want to see Muschamp get wishy washy with Harris's playing time and rotate them in and out. If he's going to start Harris, leave him in the whole game. That whole rotate-a-QB mess rarely (if ever) works out in the offense's favor.

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n65951 said:
Or maybe he sees Harris in practice every day and knows a hell of a lot more about what Harris's grasp of the playbook and current abilities to lead the offense are. I would imagine if Harris was lighting it up in practice and knew the playbook inside and out, he would be getting a chance.

Tyler Murphy played better than Driskel in games during the same season and we've all seen how well Brissett has progressed once he was given a chance to start with worse surrounding talent at NC State. Color me unimpressed with Muschamp's ability to evaluate talent at the QB position during practice.

Also, it really doesn't matter how much more of the playbook Driskel knows if he can't execute it. The kid just can't process information at the speed of game yet, and until he does he will always be a liability. Let's hope he figures it out soon since it looks like we're stuck with him for now.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Originally posted by I Have No Friends :( View Post

I will say, regardless of whether JD starts the whole year or not, I don't want to see Muschamp get wishy washy with Harris's playing time and rotate them in and out. If he's going to start Harris, leave him in the whole game. That whole rotate-a-QB mess rarely (if ever) works out in the offense's favor.

Good points there. Evaluate which one in game action is better and go with it. No needing a see-saw QB.

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

Seemed to work out well for Roper at Duke. Just saying ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.