Name a good, recent, movie you seen.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n189400 said:
Battle scenes and Cooper's performance were about the only good things about American Sniper. Everything else was disjointed and poorly put together.

So 95% of the movie was good.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n189400 said:
Battle scenes and Cooper's performance were about the only good things about American Sniper. Everything else was disjointed and poorly put together.

Yeah, it's probably the fault of the newbie director.......

It's a miracle that it actually has surpassed all other movies in total sales, worldwide.

/sarc

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
A newly added Netflix recent is Chef... that is a small budget good flick
I agree on boyhood... still want to see sniper and birdman

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We really liked Grand Budapest Hotel - it's quirky, but Ralph Fiennes does an awesome job, as usual. Plus the cast of characters (mostly cameos) is large - apparently a lot of actors really like working with Wes Anderson (the director).

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
WobbleGator;n189361 said:
Wrong. It was good, just not the greatest thing out there like some people were saying.

Agreed. It may also be doing well amongst a pool of less than stellar competition for comparisons or when America is starved for someone to be seen shooting bad guys in the desert while ISIS is running amok. Still, having thoroughly enjoyed Bradley Cooper in Limitless (and A-Team), I'm really impressed with his physical transformation into this beefy marine sniper and how he carried himself in this film. I get that it was to be poignant, but I didn't find it too deep (actually, shallower than I expected of it). Good. Not great.

Trying to get to Kingsmen. Otherwise, all I have on my list are crap films still. Planning another binge of them this weekend.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
itsgr82bag8r;n189404 said:

It's a miracle that it actually has surpassed all other movies in total sales, worldwide.

/sarc

Just because Clint Eastwood directed it doesn't make it amazing. Just because 'Merica likes guns and killing doesn't make it the greatest movie ever made.

Is the story good and tragic, yes. Was Bradley Cooper awesome, yes. Was it the greatest movie ever made like the American public would like us to believe, absolutely not.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Swamp Queen;n189919 said:
Originally posted by itsgr82bag8r View Post

/sarc

Just because Clint Eastwood directed it doesn't make it amazing. Just because 'Merica likes guns and killing doesn't make it the greatest movie ever made.

Is the story good and tragic, yes. Was Bradley Cooper awesome, yes. Was it the greatest movie ever made like the American public would like us to believe, absolutely not.

I don't recall where that claim was ever made or inferred. The thread title is clear. Obviously, simply by the total ticket sales to date, it's the most successful movie this year.

It's kinda' sweet you taking up for SAS though!

Dec 10, 2014
GMDGATOR;n189511 said:
A newly added Netflix recent is Chef... that is a small budget good flick
I agree on boyhood... still want to see sniper and birdman

Chef was a pretty good surprise. My wife picked it one night, and I thought I'd hate it. Although I think the protagonist kind of sells out at the end.

Dec 10, 2014

It's funny. I think everybody in the thread is generally agreeing on American Sniper (besides Sasquatch), but everyone is saying it differently. To recap: Everyone basically agrees that American Sniper is a good movie or agrees the good in the movie outweighs the bad. On the other hand, everybody also agrees that American Sniper got caught early in a review frenzy that made it out to be this great and powerful movie that it's simply not.

So at the end of the day, it's a B or B+ movie that you should go in to with tempered expectations.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

How is it the greatest movie ever if it lost Best Picture to Birdman, and Bradley Cooper didn't win best Actor.......... :popcorn:

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n190068 said:
How is it the greatest movie ever if it lost Best Picture to Birdman, and Bradley Cooper didn't win best Actor.......... :popcorn:

IMDB users have Shawshank Redemption as the #1 film of all time and it didn't even win an Oscar.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
PatDooleySucks;n190032 said:
Chef was a pretty good surprise. My wife picked it one night, and I thought I'd hate it. Although I think the protagonist kind of sells out at the end.

I forgot to mention Chef earlier, it was a nice feel good movie. Nothing groundbreaking or original, but I enjoyed it very much.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
itsgr82bag8r;n189404 said:

/sarc

The Twilight movies killed it at the box office. Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland (which got obliterated in reviews) made over $1 billion. The two most mentioned movies in this thread (Titanic and Avatar) are the two highest grossing movies of all time. Ticket sales don't mean jack sh*t when we're talking movie quality. And Clint Eastwood, while he's made a few fantastic films that have had both box office an awards success, is not that great of a director.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n190108 said:
IMDB users have Shawshank Redemption as the #1 film of all time and it didn't even win an Oscar.

Because Forest Gump is overrated... won the Acedemy Award that year over both Shawshank and Pulp Fiction.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;190118 said:
Because Forest Gump is overrated... won the Acedemy Award that year over both Shawshank and Pulp Fiction.
All three are nearly flawless films and deserved to win that year.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n190127 said:
All three are nearly flawless films and deserved to win that year.

Shawshank and Pulp Fiction are far superior films to Forest Gump.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
TheDouglas78;n190118 said:

That was quite the robust list of best picture nominees.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator