Nape and NIL

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
So you think that this, without any changes, this will cure itself? I don't. As long as a group of filthy rich boosters are allowed to form a shell company and dump money on prospects, some schools with willing filthy rich investors will control what is now "the market". For many schools without boosters wiling to pony up, it will suck the life out of their programs. Even for those schools who chose to "buy" players, contributions to other parts of the football program will go down. Even the filthy rich have a limit.

I'm guessing that the filthy rich's priorities are 1) Win 2) Make the rest of the program better.

It has already affected me. I'm not filthy rich, but until this is fixed, I'm not contributing a dime to our program. I have no desire to see college football become an entirely professional sport for a very few schools. You might as well split college football into two categories. Professional college football and non professional college football.

Why all the rich shaming?

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Now, it’s all fake.
It doesn’t mean a damn thing when players would rather go to Georgia, not for better coaching, exposure or experience, rather for a better NIL deal.

Same for our team.
Players come for a better NIL deal, not because they fell in love with the University.

Hell, this will end up worse than the NFL.

Well I've been reading for a couple pages now and I'm not sure how much longer this conversation will continue... But I had to ask: Just to be clear, you're saying you're NOT in favor of the whole NIL deal? ;)

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
I have seen many opinions on how NIL is driving recruiting yet I haven't seen anyone discuss the fact that dangling an NIL deal to get a player to sign with your school is not legal in Florida. I am not sure about other States since each state set's their own rules. In Florida you have to be enrolled in the school PRIOR to contact with a company/ individual to negotiate an athletic NIL.

"On July 1, 2021, when the NCAA removed its prohibition on college athletes monetizing their fame, it included only a few restrictions on the types of permissible activities. ... Finally, NIL compensation cannot be made contingent upon an athlete's enrollment at a particular school."

What could possibly go wrong with this situation Deion? Also, the new law allows. in fact encourages the players to hire agents. I'm sure they will have no contact with NFL types, yuk yuk!

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I have seen many opinions on how NIL is driving recruiting yet I haven't seen anyone discuss the fact that dangling an NIL deal to get a player to sign with your school is not legal in Florida. I am not sure about other States since each state set's their own rules. In Florida you have to be enrolled in the school PRIOR to contact with a company/ individual to negotiate an athletic NIL.

"On July 1, 2021, when the NCAA removed its prohibition on college athletes monetizing their fame, it included only a few restrictions on the types of permissible activities. ... Finally, NIL compensation cannot be made contingent upon an athlete's enrollment at a particular school."

What could possibly go wrong with this situation Deion? Also, the new law allows. in fact encourages the players to hire agents. I'm sure they will have no contact with NFL types, yuk yuk!

Anybody who thought that rule would have any teeth needs to wait a couple of years for their balls to drop because they have the common sense of a child.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Anybody who thought that rule would have any teeth needs to wait a couple of years for their balls to drop because they have the common sense of a child.
Well it is the law in Florida! If it is violated and they are caught I suspect the penalty would make the Charlie Pell days look like a wrist slap. Not looking for a dick swinging contest from you just trying to get a conversation based on the rules as they currently exist.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Well it is the law in Florida! If it is violated and they are caught I suspect the penalty would make the Charlie Pell days look like a wrist slap. Not looking for a dick swinging contest from you just trying to get a conversation based on the rules as they currently exist.
I believe there was a bill introduced just last week to change that law.
Our dear leaders don’t want the State Of Florida to fall behind others when it comes to NIL deals and high school grifters.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
I believe there was a bill introduced just last week to change that law.
Our dear leaders don’t want the State Of Florida to fall behind others when it comes to NIL deals and high school grifters.
what are the proposed changes?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
The NCAA doesn’t enforce “state laws”. The State doesn’t give AF about being the college football police. Who’s interested in stopping it?

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
The NCAA doesn’t enforce “state laws”. The State doesn’t give AF about being the college football police. Who’s interested in stopping it?
How do you know who GAF about what? This NIL shyt started last July and it's the wild west. The current Florida law is specific that the schools cannot link a deal to recruits. The deals are negotiated by players, their lawyers or agents after they are enrolled, not during the recruiting cycle.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
How do you know who GAF about what? This NIL shyt started last July and it's the wild west. The current Florida law is specific that the schools cannot link a deal to recruits. The deals are negotiated by players, their lawyers or agents after they are enrolled, not during the recruiting cycle.
Yeah, OK. :lol:

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Yeah, OK. :lol:
NCAA adopts interim name, image and likeness policy

While opening name, image and likeness opportunities to student-athletes, the policy in all three divisions preserves the commitment to avoid pay-for-play and improper inducements tied to choosing to attend a particular school. Those rules remain in effect.

"The new policy preserves the fact college sports are not pay-for-play," said Division II Presidents Council chair Sandra Jordan, chancellor at the University of South Carolina Aiken. "It also reinforces key principles of fairness and integrity across the NCAA and maintains rules prohibiting improper recruiting inducements. It's important any new rules maintain these principles."

Sounds like the NCAA GAF

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
NCAA adopts interim name, image and likeness policy

While opening name, image and likeness opportunities to student-athletes, the policy in all three divisions preserves the commitment to avoid pay-for-play and improper inducements tied to choosing to attend a particular school. Those rules remain in effect.

"The new policy preserves the fact college sports are not pay-for-play," said Division II Presidents Council chair Sandra Jordan, chancellor at the University of South Carolina Aiken. "It also reinforces key principles of fairness and integrity across the NCAA and maintains rules prohibiting improper recruiting inducements. It's important any new rules maintain these principles."

Sounds like the NCAA GAF
So they’re on their way to College Station as I type this?

They wrote what they wrote, but I’m starting to think they’ve decided to throw their hands up and not GAF either.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I seriously doubt it simply because companies will quickly realize there’s little to return on their investment.
Do you really think these guys think they're gonna make money off these players?

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
So they’re on their way to College Station as I type this?

They wrote what they wrote, but I’m starting to think they’ve decided to throw their hands up and not GAF either.
Do not know what they are doing as you were typing. Probably sleeping. I'm reasonably sure the NCAA has thrown their hands up a lot in the past year+ as the courts are no longer a reliable partner in enforcement, nor should they be IMO. This is why the NCAA has lobbied so hard for congress to legislate in the favor of amateurism but we all know how that is going to fail too.

My primary point which I suspect has been lost is many folks assume dangled $$$ to top recruits are driving decisions to commit and while there probably are several (Jackson State, TA&M) already operating outside the framework others are not, putting them at a competitive disadvantage. I would be shocked if BN was on the wrong side of this equation just as I would be shocked if Jimbo or Neon Deion stayed within the established framework.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
How are taxes rolled into an NIL contract for the player? I'd assume most don't consider losing 30% of their contract to be "cool".

I can see where a Senator or Congressman finds a way to manage these contracts for "equity" when in fact it's to get their share. Additionally, I can see where the NCAA would want to also manage these contracts for "equity" when in fact it's to get their share. Maybe the conference wants some? Maybe the school wants some?

Hell, if I'm a lineman blocking for some stud running back, maybe I want some.

NIL is stupid.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
How are taxes rolled into an NIL contract for the player? I'd assume most don't consider losing 30% of their contract to be "cool".

I can see where a Senator or Congressman finds a way to manage these contracts for "equity" when in fact it's to get their share. Additionally, I can see where the NCAA would want to also manage these contracts for "equity" when in fact it's to get their share. Maybe the conference wants some? Maybe the school wants some?

Hell, if I'm a lineman blocking for some stud running back, maybe I want some.

NIL is stupid.
The contracts are as an independent contractor, requiring the recipient to pay taxes quarterly just like the rest of us do who work as independent contractors and not as employees.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.