Recruiting New DT Commit

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think us being crappy has anything to do with it. I think we just don't have good recruiters. Gray seems to be a really good recruiter. And Mac is a really good recruiter. Other than that?

If being crappy had anything to do with it we would've not been able to pull in that stellar wide receiver class last year with that crappy product on the field.

I've never seen a DC with crappier recruiting skills than ours.

Our DC may not be able to recruit, but he does have a lot of SWAG JUICE!

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Love your posts, sofla, but Newton was a three star
Same discussion about offering a three star we are having here. Fourth star immediately thereafter, people said B/C uF offered, and fifth star during. My short term memory is suspect, but this isn't short term.

I remember him as being a pretty big recruit. Where do you see him being a three-star when we recruited him? He was a five-star recruit on every recruiting service.

When he committed to us he was a four star on both scout and rivals. 247 did not exist back then. I don't think ESPN recruiting did either.

http://www.scout.com/college/florida/story/565839-cameron-newton-says-i-m-going-to-be-a-gator

The rivals article saying he is a four star. It's an insider article but here's the link. Click the news hyperlink. You'll need to scroll down. He committed to us on 9/7/2006 as a four star quarterback. He ended up being the number 2 overall QB in the class. I think Scout had Brantley rated higher.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/maple/41356

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
/pumper-power-activate

I recall Dalvin Cook and Shavar Manual being 'committed' to us then pulling the surprise switch. Those both involved F$U and some shady recruiting tactics, but they are what they are - they trolled us and weren't really commits. Other than that, what other 4/5* did we have that were genuinely committed to UF but didn't sign?

On the 2/3* kids 'committed' but still looking around <<presses turbo pumper mode>> it is a logical plan B for them as they likely know they should be a plan B for UF. If we get a better kid, this one needs a place to switch to.

/pumper-power-deactivate

Shaver flipped because he wasn't going to qualify for UF. He is still working on getting qualified for FSU
http://seminolepost.blog.palmbeachp...-signee-shavar-manuel-working-on-eligibility/

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
/pumper-power-activate

I recall Dalvin Cook and Shavar Manual being 'committed' to us then pulling the surprise switch. Those both involved F$U and some shady recruiting tactics, but they are what they are - they trolled us and weren't really commits. Other than that, what other 4/5* did we have that were genuinely committed to UF but didn't sign?

On the 2/3* kids 'committed' but still looking around <<presses turbo pumper mode>> it is a logical plan B for them as they likely know they should be a plan B for UF. If we get a better kid, this one needs a place to switch to.

/pumper-power-deactivate

Yeah, I wasn't really talking about the Manual/Cook type defections. It was the caliber of players in your second paragraph that I was referring to. I know you're being a little tongue-in-cheek, but I found it very disheartening that guys like McWilliams, Wells, and Robinson were taking visits up until the final weekend, to places like Louisville. My point was if we're saying we've discovered a star in the making way before anyone else, then I'd like to think we could coerce them into a measure of loyalty. But it seemed like every time a new school offered one of our commits, they were immediately in the discussion and visits were planned. That kind of kills the whole "rather have guys who want to be Gators" argument.

I get that the 4-5* kids are going to make schools sweat it out. But we had kids like Joseph who were just about guaranteed immediate playing time at UF, the place who offered and stuck by him after his injury...and it was still basically a signing day decision because Alabama came in at the 11th hour. I said several times around NSD that our staff was not selling UF enough to these kids. They weren't closed. That tells me we have a problem.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I'd love to see him fail to qualify, go JuCo, fail again, and eventually get flushed out of football all together.

::howdoItellthemthatbecauseoftheunfreezingprocessihavenoinnermonolgue::

And maybe get a DUI somewhere along the way?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The staff still should have had a Plan B kid on the hook somewhere. I'd rather sign a DT committed to an FAU or UCF vs signing zero DTs at all.
Shavar should have never been the only option. We didn't sign any DTs the year before. We needed to sign FVKKING FOUR.... or five!!!! (In a Sabanesque defense a true DT/NT can play all three spots.) WTF are they thinking? DTs take two to three years to get big enough to play in the SEC.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
And we didn't know he was a dummazz? Why not?

I agree with both of you that said we should have had a backup and o agree we should have known his academic standing. I just thought it was worth sharing that he flipped because FSU is easier

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Shavar should have never been the only option. We didn't sign any DTs the year before. We needed to sign FVKKING FOUR.... or five!!!! (In a Sabanesque defense a true DT/NT can play all three spots.) WTF are they thinking? DTs take two to three years to get big enough to play in the SEC.
If anyone looks at Bama's classes, they'll see that they always recruit multiple DT's. Seems like about 3 a cycle. Hard to project DT's, so you need numbers. I know you say it all the time.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
I remember him as being a pretty big recruit. Where do you see him being a three-star when we recruited him? He was a five-star recruit on every recruiting service.

When he committed to us he was a four star on both scout and rivals. 247 did not exist back then. I don't think ESPN recruiting did either.

http://www.scout.com/college/florida/story/565839-cameron-newton-says-i-m-going-to-be-a-gator

The rivals article saying he is a four star. It's an insider article but here's the link. Click the news hyperlink. You'll need to scroll down. He committed to us on 9/7/2006 as a four star quarterback. He ended up being the number 2 overall QB in the class. I think Scout had Brantley rated higher.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/maple/41356
Thanks. Unlike some politicians I am willing to accept the written word. I still don't feel I am wrong by much. There has never been a question that he was a five star when he signed--a very big recruit. But he started out as a three star and rose. I see he was a four star when he committed but I would still be willing to lose money betting that he was a 3 star when offered. I remember people saying (joking?) that he was bumped up because offered. The rating services don't make it easy to find the history of their ratings, but you found he was a 4 star when he committed. Can you find his rating when offered? The point to all this being that rating services change their evaluations--sometimes by a great deal. Thanks again for the correction

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If anyone looks at Bama's classes, they'll see that they always recruit multiple DT's. Seems like about 3 a cycle. Hard to project DT's, so you need numbers. I know you say it all the time.

Like Bama we should have 8-10 down linemen every cycle. it's a numbers game, not all kids grow into their bodies. We haven't done that in the 6 years prior to McElwain.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Like Bama we should have 8-10 down linemen every cycle. it's a numbers game, not all kids grow into their bodies. We haven't done that in the 6 years prior to McElwain.
Pretty much. Like you said, you can trust rush end recruiting some, but not DT's or 3-4 ends

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Pretty much. Like you said, you can trust rush end recruiting some, but not DT's or 3-4 ends
Yeah, and even if they are good, they get hurt. 300lb men bashing on each other tend to do that.

We have way too many lightweight hybrid/projects. It's going to hurt us soon. We have only a few guys, Clark Brantley Ivie and Bryan, that are Dante Fowler sized (and many scouts thought he was actually a heavy LB) or larger. Sherit, Smith, Zuniga, Cox, Davis, Justus Reed, and Ancrum are all the size of Bammer's LBs. That's waaaay too damn many tweener projects. That isn't going to cut it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator