Recruiting New DT Commit

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm really surprised no one has mentioned his lack of quality offers, commitable or not. I do like the get. Just surprised no one has noticed the lack of big time offers.

Rentmoneygawd

Jan 14, 2016
"6-foot, 350-pounds that racked up 88 tackles including 29 stops for loss and 10 sacks as a junior."

3 star!!! he stinks...when the f*ck are we going to get some real talent? *Rex voice*

:bwahaha:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So Alboverdi tweets an article about this that has "crucial" in the headline.

Surreptitious attempt at a come back?

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So Alboverdi tweets an article about this that has "crucial" in the headline.

Surreptitious attempt at a come back?

You'd think someone of his renown wouldn't have to self promote so hard, huh? Shameless Crucial, shameless...

rockinchair

Dec 11, 2015
Omar Hunter was a 6'00" DT. 6'00" and 310lbs coming out of high school and a 5* to boot. He moved well for a short heavy guy. He was a tank that was supposed to be a superstar in college but had a pretty insignificant career at UF. I bring him up only because he's the only short fat DT I remember in recent times.

I was trying to think back to our last big, heavy DT as well and Hunter was all that came to mind.

While he was largely a bust at UF (given his 5* rating, and Urban calling him the Percy Harvin of his class), he was serviceable his Senior year simply because of his size and ability to eat up space.

Hopefully Mac can bring in a few of these space eaters every year.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Wait a minute, so Law is the positive one in this thread? What the hell is going on here????

:shocked3:

No worries. TRex is holding the fort for team Negative.

FWIW, this kid is 6'1, 345 as a HS JR. Terrance cody was 6'5, 395 coming out of JUCO. He's got another year to get bigger & stronger.

This was a key I was thinking of, so thank you for saving me the lookup. How many great performing college tackles can anyone recall from recent years, and what were their stars? I'd be willing to bet mostly 3/4* kids with plenty of 5* busts. But I haven't looked that up, just my gut.

Well, I'm not sure how they "star" them. Maybe he's too short for another star or two but he looks like a serious player in the films. He completely dominates the high schoolers and seems to have a mean streak and a good motor with decent speed. A very good prospect indeed.

Maybe he was a six star, but ate three of them?

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Just needs to get some work in and get down to the 320-330 range and be a true NT space easter

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Someone tell why we should be excited by this kid. He's only 6 foot tall? 340? the 60th ranked DT. I;m sure the pumpers will make him out to be a future star.

I understand your perspective doesn't afford any consideration for the future in terms up gaining stars, being coachable, etc. Let's stick to your approach and where we are TODAY. Compared to yesterday, we now have a large kid, excited to be a Gator (and dreamed of playing for us), filling in a position of need for the roster. Yes, he is a 3*. Compare that to yesterday when we had no-star committed to that position of need.

You complain we aren't elite, and we won't be unless we recruit better. Fact is, we are NOT elite, and haven't been for several years. But TODAY we are better than we were yesterday, no?

We should not be desperate for any position as the flagship university in the fertile state of FL.

The overall talent on the team is slowly eroding away. The bulk of our roster is going to be 3 stars.

We should not be desperate at any position - agreed, but it is a fact of where we are TODAY based on recent years. The second two comments are predicting the future, something you will not tolerate from pumpers. Hypocrite much?

By the way, what state did we pull this kid from since we aren't recruiting Florida?

You don't get it. This is just SOP for this underachieving staff. It is status quo. Some of you will say the the exact same thing about every kid. Good get. Look at his film. He's underrated. Same crap. Over and over.

This is just the norm. I'm getting used to it. Saban, Jimbo, Richt, Smart are running circles around him.

You wouldn't let me continue to give credit to Mac and staff for pulling their first class from 100+ to 21st in a few weeks because that was SOOOoooo long ago. Ok, let me put it this way without projecting my view of the future and focusing only on the facts and where we have been that got us to today:

2015 - Took a class from 100+ to 21 in a few weeks. True or false? What negatives do you have about this staff given that performance?

2016 - Finished with a 13-14 ranked class, filled a lot of needs at OL. I forget which service we're supposed to use, but 247 had the class at a .887 avg rating. The coaches were on the trail for 13 months to find kids, build relationships, etc. Coaches had to sell a program that has sucked for years, and blew chunks the back half of the 2015 season, and still filled out a class of 25 kids. Some (you) will claim they should have done better, while others (pumpers) wills say they are getting there. Matter of opinion, we could have been better...but we also could have been worse, correct?

2017 - We are sitting with a mid 30's ranked class with only 6 commits. HALF of them are currently 4*. We've got about 7 months to fill out the remaining 12-15 (?) spots....but you don't allow optimism, so we'll just stop and look at where we are TODAY. I have no idea what the curve has been like for past recruiting cycles for UF - how many commits and at what star ratings we've had 7 months before NSD. I won't interpret any lag, if there is one, in where we are today compared to May of last year in recruiting - could be saving spots for better players, could be the staff just sucks and can't seal the deal - that will prove out over the next several months. But to look at where we are now and complain we aren't where you want to be right now is your right as a fan....I just don't know how realistic your expectations are.

You complain we aren't up there with Bama and F$U.....that's true, we aren't up there with them in this year's recruiting class NOR are we in that rare air of elite programs. It's a fact. I'll appreciate your expectation and desire that we SHOULD be in that rare air, but fact is we aren't. We don't have an NC in recent years, or a high profile program competing for conference CGs or BCS bowls in recent years. It's who we are TODAY.

By the way, of those 6 commits we have right now, there are 56 ( can't tell what are commutable) offers from P5 schools. Of those schools, those 6 kids chose us over AU (1), UGA (2), F$U (1), LSU (1), MIA (3), MICH (2), tOSU (1).

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
This kid is a perfect example of the type of player we should have had on the hook last cycle as a Plan B. If we had loaded up the last 2 classes on DT's we probably wouldn't take this kid in this class. But...this class is in desperate need of DTs and he could (literally) be the anchor of the class! I'm glad we got him. I agree w/ others that star ranking on DTs doesn't necessarily matter (at least in this case). I think star rankings on QBs, WRs, and CBs are usually pretty accurate. If this kid comes to UF and gets into the rotation as a redshirt freshman or true sophomore, it's a win for our team.

Towels 'N Sporks

We R Bad Cause Urban Cheated on Wife
May 19, 2016
5 star- Andre Debose
4/3(lol) star- Antonio Callaway

Which one turned out better? A lot of our higher ranked offensive players have fizzled out unfortunately.

I totally agree that stars aren't everything, but I want to play this game too.
Percy Harvin 5 star- moral stephenson 4 star, ryan sousa 3 star (who?... exactly.)
Tim Tebow/Cam Newton 5 star- Jacoby Brissett/Treon Harris 4 star.

I would argue Tebow and Harvin (and technically Cam Newton) have been the best offensive players we have recruited since spurrier, and maybe ever. All were 5 star recruits.

If you say stars don't matter, you are dead wrong. If you say stars don't mean EVERYTHING, then you are correct. If you want to argue over whether stars matterthe statistics that show the percentage of 5 stars that get in the NFL is around 40-50%. A much, much higher percentage than any other star status. For SEC freshman classes between 2008-2012, a whopping 25% of the 5 stars became first round picks. 4 stars- 5.3%. And 3 stars- 1.2%.

We all know stars don't mean everything and that there are always duds. But the reality is that there is a much smaller chance that this guy is going to be an all-SEC lineman for us than if he was a 5 star.

That being said, I will reiterate that getting recruits like this early in the process is important, and hopefully he can find a contributing role on the team in a couple of years. So I'm happy we got this guy, but I'm not exactly excited and I can understand why some people are being a little negative about it.

Last edited:

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I doubt there are any gator fans that dont want a top class full of 4 and 5 stars. Most of us have high hopes that this year will prove to be a good year especially if we can put a decent offense on the field. If we win the east and look good doing it, I doubt we have any more recruiting issues.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I understand your perspective doesn't afford any consideration for the future in terms up gaining stars, being coachable, etc. Let's stick to your approach and where we are TODAY. Compared to yesterday, we now have a large kid, excited to be a Gator (and dreamed of playing for us), filling in a position of need for the roster. Yes, he is a 3*. Compare that to yesterday when we had no-star committed to that position of need.

You complain we aren't elite, and we won't be unless we recruit better. Fact is, we are NOT elite, and haven't been for several years. But TODAY we are better than we were yesterday, no?

We should not be desperate at any position - agreed, but it is a fact of where we are TODAY based on recent years. The second two comments are predicting the future, something you will not tolerate from pumpers. Hypocrite much?

By the way, what state did we pull this kid from since we aren't recruiting Florida?

You wouldn't let me continue to give credit to Mac and staff for pulling their first class from 100+ to 21st in a few weeks because that was SOOOoooo long ago. Ok, let me put it this way without projecting my view of the future and focusing only on the facts and where we have been that got us to today:

2015 - Took a class from 100+ to 21 in a few weeks. True or false? What negatives do you have about this staff given that performance?

2016 - Finished with a 13-14 ranked class, filled a lot of needs at OL. I forget which service we're supposed to use, but 247 had the class at a .887 avg rating. The coaches were on the trail for 13 months to find kids, build relationships, etc. Coaches had to sell a program that has sucked for years, and blew chunks the back half of the 2015 season, and still filled out a class of 25 kids. Some (you) will claim they should have done better, while others (pumpers) wills say they are getting there. Matter of opinion, we could have been better...but we also could have been worse, correct?

2017 - We are sitting with a mid 30's ranked class with only 6 commits. HALF of them are currently 4*. We've got about 7 months to fill out the remaining 12-15 (?) spots....but you don't allow optimism, so we'll just stop and look at where we are TODAY. I have no idea what the curve has been like for past recruiting cycles for UF - how many commits and at what star ratings we've had 7 months before NSD. I won't interpret any lag, if there is one, in where we are today compared to May of last year in recruiting - could be saving spots for better players, could be the staff just sucks and can't seal the deal - that will prove out over the next several months. But to look at where we are now and complain we aren't where you want to be right now is your right as a fan....I just don't know how realistic your expectations are.

You complain we aren't up there with Bama and F$U.....that's true, we aren't up there with them in this year's recruiting class NOR are we in that rare air of elite programs. It's a fact. I'll appreciate your expectation and desire that we SHOULD be in that rare air, but fact is we aren't. We don't have an NC in recent years, or a high profile program competing for conference CGs or BCS bowls in recent years. It's who we are TODAY.

By the way, of those 6 commits we have right now, there are 56 ( can't tell what are commutable) offers from P5 schools. Of those schools, those 6 kids chose us over AU (1), UGA (2), F$U (1), LSU (1), MIA (3), MICH (2), tOSU (1).

This is f ing hilarious. It is a fact that the overall talent level is eroding away. In the last 15 years the bulk of our roster was never 3 stars. It's the first time in recorded recruiting time that we've taken so many 3 stars. THIRTY-FIVE over the last three years. It's the highest % of 3 stars we've ever had on our roster. If you don't think that is an issue then you just aren't very smart(but I think you are).

This kid was never going to FSU with those kids from Newberry already Noles commits. I'm glad we are recruiting FL and getting 2nd tier talent. Yay.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I doubt there are any gator fans that dont want a top class full of 4 and 5 stars. Most of us have high hopes that this year will prove to be a good year especially if we can put a decent offense on the field. If we win the east and look good doing it, I doubt we have any more recruiting issues.

This was said last year. Rinse Wash Repeat. Holy crap batman.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
You would piss and moan if we won the superbowl after we won the NC. Its just your nature. I know women like you.

No I would not. You can't carry on a convo without trying to insult me. Is that below your intelligence level? I find it funny though you are regurgitating the same stuff a year later. Classic.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You would piss and moan if we won the superbowl after we won the NC. Its just your nature. I know women like you.

I'm beginning to wonder if the "T" in t-Rex is for Tina. Rex sounds a lot like Tina, an ex-girlfriend of mine from college. She was a real barrel of laughs...:waiting:

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
What stood out to me isn't his weight or star rating. The kid is carrying a 4.0 GPA. This isn't a lazy fat kid, we're getting someone that knows how to work and can think. Will take 3 more just like him please.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
No I would not. You can't carry on a convo without trying to insult me. Is that below your intelligence level? I find it funny though you are regurgitating the same stuff a year later. Classic.

Its called "understanding". I realize what this coach inherited and what he did with a completely inexperienced oline and a smurf QB that knew two plays and one of those was throwing the ball into the stands. Everbody on the planet knows we need to recruit better and hopes to see improvement. You dont just "snap" your fingers and straighten out a program. As for insulting, your the friggin king. You insult our coaches, our players, our facilities, our AD, and anyone who wont join in your misery.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This kid is a perfect example of the type of player we should have had on the hook last cycle as a Plan B. If we had loaded up the last 2 classes on DT's we probably wouldn't take this kid in this class. But...this class is in desperate need of DTs and he could (literally) be the anchor of the class! I'm glad we got him. I agree w/ others that star ranking on DTs doesn't necessarily matter (at least in this case). I think star rankings on QBs, WRs, and CBs are usually pretty accurate. If this kid comes to UF and gets into the rotation as a redshirt freshman or true sophomore, it's a win for our team.

star rankings for skill positions in my opinion are a lot more accurate than for the gunts. measurables make a lot more sense for the skilled positions, compared to DT and Oline due to a lot of their play is also who will be able to grow into their bodies and attitude.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.