Noah Brindise implies Spurrier wanted head coaching job and was ignored

TheAlumni

Oct 29, 2017
Ox wasn't kidding. There's mutiny brewing.

Mullen will be the first Florida coach with his own fire.com website before his introductory presser.

Actually Ron Zook won that award years ago...

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
Considering he’s still coaching and recruiting at the highest level, yes.

1989 called, they want their storyline back.
And what were his reasons for leaving Florida? You know, before he took the OSU job?
Others that recruit at high levels: Muschamp, Les Miles, Lane Kiffin.

gatorfan81

Founding Member
Done
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen considered us a lateral move with what Urban had left for us. He now knows that after a couple of bad head coaches. The expectations won't be to win championships right away. Hell most of us will be happy with 8 or more wins next year. Hell some of us will be happy if players develop as the season progresses.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
My biggest hope is Mullen can get a first down and possibly stop all the penalties. We will be much improved if we are able to get a first down...whooo hooo!

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
My biggest hope is Mullen can get a first down and possibly stop all the penalties. We will be much improved if we are able to get a first down...whooo hooo!

We'll be better, just not sure how much better. Mullen has ceiling written all over him. So, too, did Taggart and Strong and whoever else was on Stricklin's post-Kelly/Frost shortlist.

Still shaking my head over no overtures to Norvell. That, to me, was a big mistake.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We'll be better, just not sure how much better. Mullen has ceiling written all over him. So, too, did Taggart and Strong and whoever else was on Stricklin's post-Kelly/Frost shortlist.

Still shaking my head over no overtures to Norvell. That, to me, was a big mistake.
Yep i don't get that one...i would be perfectly fine with the Mullen hire if there was a logical reason why Norvell wasn't considered. In coaching searches you have to understand what is available and what is actually obtainable. Kelly and Frost were available and appear to be the HR hires of this year but neither were really attainable. Frost will go home and Kelly took a bunch less money to go where he was comfortable in UCLA...i don't believe he was doing any more with us than using us for leverage and still took way less money. So who does that leave? Mullen, Strong, maybe Taggert (1st year on the job it's likely he doesn't leave). Then there is the next young innovative coach in Norvell that is sitting right there for the taking. Maybe there is a reason he was left off...but he would have been in the same time frame as Frost since they are playing each other this week. I'm guessing Frost told them no and word of Mullen to tenn made Stricklin freak out knowing he wasn't going to last to the next weekend and had to act. Personally i would have waiting on Norvell then with a fall back of Strong or Taggert but i am not privy to what Stricklin is on these background checks and everything else that goes into the coaching search...so i'll get behind Mullen even though it's not what i had hoped for.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yep i don't get that one...i would be perfectly fine with the Mullen hire if there was a logical reason why Norvell wasn't considered. In coaching searches you have to understand what is available and what is actually obtainable. Kelly and Frost were available and appear to be the HR hires of this year but neither were really attainable. Frost will go home and Kelly took a bunch less money to go where he was comfortable in UCLA...i don't believe he was doing any more with us than using us for leverage and still took way less money. So who does that leave? Mullen, Strong, maybe Taggert (1st year on the job it's likely he doesn't leave). Then there is the next young innovative coach in Norvell that is sitting right there for the taking. Maybe there is a reason he was left off...but he would have been in the same time frame as Frost since they are playing each other this week. I'm guessing Frost told them no and word of Mullen to tenn made Stricklin freak out knowing he wasn't going to last to the next weekend and had to act. Personally i would have waiting on Norvell then with a fall back of Strong or Taggert but i am not privy to what Stricklin is on these background checks and everything else that goes into the coaching search...so i'll get behind Mullen even though it's not what i had hoped for.

That's exactly what happened. Stricklin panicked.

PaterLacerta

Who’s Your Daddy?
Jan 19, 2016

I have the same question, 78.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I have the same question, 78.

Apparently the search committee, whatever that was composed of, agrees. Wonder what the search committee thinks of Scott Stricklin this morning.

And, BTW, what is the sense in having a search committee when you ignore the search committee?

PaterLacerta

Who’s Your Daddy?
Jan 19, 2016
I'm guessing Frost told them no and word of Mullen to tenn made Stricklin freak out knowing he wasn't going to last to the next weekend and had to act. Personally i would have waiting on Norvell then with a fall back of Strong or Taggert but i am not privy to what Stricklin is on these background checks and everything else that goes into the coaching search...so i'll get behind Mullen even though it's not what i had hoped for.

I think I would have been highly concerned since the talent drops off significantly once Mullen is off the table. Strong and Taggart would have gotten the same reception here if announced, IMHO. Norvell is a head scratcher.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Someone here wrote that UF scratched Norvell off its list over some issue, though I don't recall anything being specified.

CapitalGator02

Founding Member
( . Y . )
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
Apparently the search committee, whatever that was composed of, agrees. Wonder what the search committee thinks of Scott Stricklin this morning.
Have you seen any indication that Stricklin did not reach out to Norvell's agent? It's just as likely the UAA contacted his agent and they said no.
And, BTW, what is the sense in having a search committee when you ignore the search committee?
Besides a random Tweet that was posted in the other thread, did the UAA have a search committee in place? And if the UAA did have a search committee in place, is there factual evidence that their recommendations were ignored by Stricklin?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.