Noah Brindise implies Spurrier wanted head coaching job and was ignored

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Someone here wrote that UF scratched Norvell off its list over some issue, though I don't recall anything being specified.
I've read that on a couple different sites and not sure if there is any truth to it or just a rumor that gets spread everywhere

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Have you seen any indication that Stricklin did not reach out to Norvell's agent? It's just as likely the UAA contacted his agent and they said no.

Besides a random Tweet that was posted in the other thread, did the UAA have a search committee in place? And if the UAA did have a search committee in place, is there factual evidence that their recommendations were ignored by Stricklin?

You don't remember the big to-do a week ago yesterday over the son of a search committee member tweeting that Kelly was coming to Florida? Do your homework.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Um, ok. You still haven't answered my questions.
No, my friend, I don't know if Stricklin did or did not reach out to Norvell. But if he did, there's a realistic chance someone would have chirped.

Not a solitary peep.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
When Stricklin had his initial press conference he made it seem as though he would not have a search committee. Fawbush was the son of a guy who was on the AD search committee and apparently was "in the know" although he also tweeted the info didn't come from his dad...

Regarding Spurrier... I think he would have been a terrible hire. He is an amazing coach and Gator, but he has said he doesn't want to put in the work for recruiting and the hours that these guys put in currently for coaching. He would be very easy to recruit against because nobody would expect him to be around very long. How many kids want to play for a guy when they don't know how long he will be here.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
Brindise went down this road, and he knows Spurrier personally.
I can't imagine SOS not wanting to step in. The guy is a Gator and a competitor. You could hear it sometimes when they were interviewing him during games. This crap makes him as sick as it makes all of us. I'm sure it wasn't something he wanted to do long term, but I bet he wanted to help pull us out of this nose dive. I don't think it would have gone well, but I imagine this is 100% true.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
We'll be better, just not sure how much better. Mullen has ceiling written all over him. So, too, did Taggart and Strong and whoever else was on Stricklin's post-Kelly/Frost shortlist.

Still shaking my head over no overtures to Norvell. That, to me, was a big mistake.

You're always great with market related analogies, so I'll thrown one out there.

Kelly was the initial "limit order". Market blew through it. Frost was the updated "limit order". Again, market blwos through. At some point, Stricklin felt like he had to go "at market" to stop the bleeding, and couldn't risk another turn down.

That would be my guess.

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
My take on Brindise...he's making himself a toxic hire for future jobs. He might have thought that Spurrier taking the interim job would have gotten him back to Gainesville as OC (in spite of the pretty pedestrian job he's done at UNLV) and put him in line to assume the HBC role when SOS really, fully, unabashedly retired. Yeah, I know he's a Bull Gator, but his childish posts are likely pissing a lot of people off as well as moving a lot of HCs/ADs to move his resume to the "do not call" pile.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
I feel like a broken record. No, I don’t.
Ok we shall see. Wait until we are getting throttled by Ugay and FSU along with LSU year after year and his wife can't go grocery shopping. The broken record you are feeling is our perpetual failure to hire someone that can fix our program.

Last edited:

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
There is a definite need of a therapist in here......

.... and a large bottle of quaaludes.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
We'll be better, just not sure how much better. Mullen has ceiling written all over him. So, too, did Taggart and Strong and whoever else was on Stricklin's post-Kelly/Frost shortlist.

Still shaking my head over no overtures to Norvell. That, to me, was a big mistake.

I actually feel taggart and strong were better choices as holding place coaches to set the table for a next guy.

Norvell would have been going all in j stead of settling.

There were still at least 5 other guys not counting OC’s that should have been looked at.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Yep i don't get that one...i would be perfectly fine with the Mullen hire if there was a logical reason why Norvell wasn't considered. In coaching searches you have to understand what is available and what is actually obtainable. Kelly and Frost were available and appear to be the HR hires of this year but neither were really attainable. Frost will go home and Kelly took a bunch less money to go where he was comfortable in UCLA...i don't believe he was doing any more with us than using us for leverage and still took way less money. So who does that leave? Mullen, Strong, maybe Taggert (1st year on the job it's likely he doesn't leave). Then there is the next young innovative coach in Norvell that is sitting right there for the taking. Maybe there is a reason he was left off...but he would have been in the same time frame as Frost since they are playing each other this week. I'm guessing Frost told them no and word of Mullen to tenn made Stricklin freak out knowing he wasn't going to last to the next weekend and had to act. Personally i would have waiting on Norvell then with a fall back of Strong or Taggert but i am not privy to what Stricklin is on these background checks and everything else that goes into the coaching search...so i'll get behind Mullen even though it's not what i had hoped for.

Exactly my sentiments. I didn't see this coming, and certainly not my first choice. But I'll get behind whoever it is, and hope for the best. Not sure we have any other choice. If it goes well, great. If not, Stricklin has sealed his fate.

As for Brindise, I think we have to keep in mind that landscapes change in cfb, and generations don't always want to accept that. Regardless of who we brought in, including Kelly or Frost, there would've been criticism from that group of Matthews, Doering and Brindise because it's not the type of offense they prefer. Keep in mind, this is also the same group that had issues with our offense while Tebow was winning Heismans and rings, and were thrilled to see a change under WM, declaring that staff (including Weis) the best overall staff we'd ever had. This was 3 years removed from a staff that consisted of Strong, Mullen, Dan McCarney, Vance Bedford, and Urban Meyer.

I'm not questioning their loyalty to UF, that speaks for itself. Nor am I questioning their place in UF history and football acumen. What I do question, however, is their objectiveness in these cases. They just have a different view and nothing is going to change that.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Noah Brindise implies Spurrier wanted head coaching job and was ignored

And the blsht gets deeper and smellier. SOS is a straight shooter. He may have wanted to be a QB coach or at most do some offensive coord duties but put this in the circular file...............btw Mullen is our coach...........all the rest is either whining , bitchen or worse..............Go gators..................

Gatorious

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
You're always great with market related analogies, so I'll thrown one out there.

Kelly was the initial "limit order". Market blew through it. Frost was the updated "limit order". Again, market blwos through. At some point, Stricklin felt like he had to go "at market" to stop the bleeding, and couldn't risk another turn down.

That would be my guess.

Executive summary: Panic hire.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Sorry I didn't get to all four pages but I have a couple of questions:
1. Have we verified that this account is actually Brindise?
2. Have we verified that we are actually paying Mullenz 7m dollars?

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Sorry I didn't get to all four pages but I have a couple of questions:
1. Have we verified that this account is actually Brindise?
2. Have we verified that we are actually paying Mullenz 7m dollars?
Brindise isn’t a big enough name to warrant the blue check mark of approval on Twitter, so I guess we just have to assume it’s him. And no, the $7M has not been verified, either.

Brindise is melting down hard today, not a good look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.