Not another facilities thread

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
As Law stated, the problem is not money.
The problem is that the athletic program is being operated like the government. There is plenty of money, the issue is how and where the money is being spent.
Yes, UF's overall budget is not as high as it used to be but that is a direct result of a drop off in the performance of the revenue generating programs causing contributions to diminish. The programs have dropped off because of the lack of focus placed on them versus gymnastics, etc.

I will stop because this is so similar to the government that I will get moved to the political forum.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
Please explain what "elite" QBs Muschamp brought in.
Based on recruiting rankings he brought in Driskel who was ranked #2 and Brissett who ranked #3 and the Grier who ranked #2. Based on rankings that's 3 elite Qb's. 2 of which so far was drafted in the NFL and the other everyone said was going to be good before getting suspended.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
As Law stated, the problem is not money.
The problem is that the athletic program is being operated like the government. There is plenty of money, the issue is how and where the money is being spent.
Yes, UF's overall budget is not as high as it used to be but that is a direct result of a drop off in the performance of the revenue generating programs causing contributions to diminish. The programs have dropped off because of the lack of focus placed on them versus gymnastics, etc.

I will stop because this is so similar to the government that I will get moved to the political forum.

If you look at the books (I posted the links a year or so ago) the money actually went up in 2013, due to the SEC network added revenue. So their hasn't been the drop in revenue we would have experience a few years earlier. We actually were making more money, with the reduction in seats sold per event.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If you look at the books (I posted the links a year or so ago) the money actually went up in 2013, due to the SEC network added revenue. So their hasn't been the drop in revenue we would have experience a few years earlier. We actually were making more money, with the reduction in seats sold per event.

You are correct, I was merely preempting any responses that suggested that revenue losses were responsible for the lack of improvements.
The facts you provided make my point even more. We have plenty of money, we just haven't spent it against the important businesses, yes they are businesses.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Based on recruiting rankings he brought in Driskel who was ranked #2 and Brissett who ranked #3 and the Grier who ranked #2. Based on rankings that's 3 elite Qb's. 2 of which so far was drafted in the NFL and the other everyone said was going to be good before getting suspended.
Your definition of elite is what someone ranks them coming out of high school? :lol:
I suspect you peaked during high school, as well.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I'm a believer that it's all about coaching and recruiting not facilities. SOS did it when we didn't have facilities as did Zook, Urban and even the worse coach in UF history Muschamp was able to do it up until he everyone knew he was going to be fired. This is why Mac worries me so much, I'm not saying he can not coach at all but I in no way think he's good enough of a coach to take a team with around 65% of a team being 3* players or worse and competing against coaches better than him with 75% 4 & 5* players. Will he be good enough to win a few of those games like a Dan Mullen sure but will Dan Mullen ever have his team competing year in year out to be in the playoffs no he will only have his team competing for West titles ever 3-4 years when he's able to develop his 3* talent. And that's the fear I have right now watching Mac recruit.

All I keep hearing is just wait till the offense shows up kids will line up. They lined up for Muschamp and his offense never ever looked good. Hell Muschamp was able to pull 3 elite Qb's during his stint and he was a bumb. Mac is supposed to be a qb guru and he's being out recruited by a 1st year hc who has already pulled 2 Qb who rank inside the top 3 at their position. It's the staff as a whole there is not one elite recruiter on the staff and that's hurting us with pulling talent not facilities.

Times have changed. Facilities matter. Recruiting isn't the same as it was in the days of SOS, Zook or even Meyer. Chump recruited stars not talent in a time when we still had some luster.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
Times have changed. Facilities matter. Recruiting isn't the same as it was in the days of SOS, Zook or even Meyer. Chump recruited stars not talent in a time when we still had some luster.
Muschamp recruited talent that he couldn't coach up. Driskel & Brissett are perfect examples of that. They both went on to have good enough careers to be drafted, if they would have stayed that wouldn't have happened. But your not getting my point. Whether the players became stars or not based on their rankings coming out of hs Muschamp got the job done and recruited against the best. He sucked as a coach though. I don't believe Mac is good enough of a coach to make up the difference in talent that he's recruiting compared to other coaches who are both elite recruiters and coaches. I think Mac is a good coach but a poor recruiter and I think that without change in recruiting I think our program suffers in the long run cause the talent level falls off.

Look no further than TN to see what happens when recruiting falls off for a few years in the SEC. They are finally starting to gain respect again in the college football world because Butch is recruiting better than the clown they brought in after Fuller was fired.

It makes me very nervous how we were handled when Mac faced very talented teams with a good coach (Saban, Fisher, and Harbaugh) out scored 92-24 in those games. He couldn't find a way to score a fg against FSU at home, a FG. Draw up a trick play something you're supposed to be a offensive genus who can win with a dog playing Qb and you can't score any points on offense at home on Sr day is not good coaching to me.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Well Kev has convinced me. Mac is a fake and should return his SEC Coach of the Year award.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It makes me very nervous how we were handled when Mac faced very talented teams with a good coach (Saban, Fisher, and Harbaugh) out scored 92-24 in those games. He couldn't find a way to score a fg against FSU at home, a FG. Draw up a trick play something you're supposed to be a offensive genus who can win with a dog playing Qb and you can't score any points on offense at home on Sr day is not good coaching to me.

Are you Rip Van Winkle by chance? Were you sleeping last year? It seems you missed the part about our #1 PK being a complete head case, our #2 PK pulled a hammy trying to tackle someone on a kick-off, and then the Dentist...well... I'm glad you finally woke up from your deep sleep though. Hope you don't miss this year. I think it's gonna be a good one!

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Are you Rip Van Winkle by chance? Were you sleeping last year? It seems you missed the part about our #1 PK being a complete head case, our #2 PK pulled a hammy trying to tackle someone on a kick-off, and then the Dentist...well... I'm glad you finally woke up from your deep sleep though. Hope you don't miss this year. I think it's gonna be a good one!
YES! Because every first year coach finds it necessary to hold an open tryout midway through the season to see if he can find someone...anyone capable of kicking an extra point. It's totallly Macs fault we couldn't kick a field goal by seasons end. Such a sucky coach.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Muschamp recruited talent that he couldn't coach up. Driskel & Brissett are perfect examples of that. They both went on to have good enough careers to be drafted, if they would have stayed that wouldn't have happened. But your not getting my point. Whether the players became stars or not based on their rankings coming out of hs Muschamp got the job done and recruited against the best. He sucked as a coach though. I don't believe Mac is good enough of a coach to make up the difference in talent that he's recruiting compared to other coaches who are both elite recruiters and coaches. I think Mac is a good coach but a poor recruiter and I think that without change in recruiting I think our program suffers in the long run cause the talent level falls off.

Muschamp was able to recruit off Meyer's teams legacy and recruit different kinds of talent that was based on different offenses. Failed to recruit linemen at all.

Look no further than TN to see what happens when recruiting falls off for a few years in the SEC. They are finally starting to gain respect again in the college football world because Butch is recruiting better than the clown they brought in after Fuller was fired.

Lane Kiffin recruited very well the one year he was there. That is the clown after Fulmer.

So the games you referenced when we didn't have an offensive line, place kicker, and a pro style quarterback against the most talented part of our schedule. I guess a great coach just craps out players to be SEC starting quality? Magically Offensive linemen are going to appear out of no where? The roster was filled with players he recruited? I guess you must have missed the injury/suspension list the second half of the season. I also am lead to believe you think Muschamp and Meyer did a good job recruiting offensive linemen who were still on the roster last year.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
Muschamp was able to recruit off Meyer's teams legacy and recruit different kinds of talent that was based on different offenses. Failed to recruit linemen at all.
You can make all the excuses you want for him hell you probably made the same ones for Muschamp but the bottom line and facts are facts he's not an elite recruiter period.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You can make all the excuses you want for him hell you probably made the same ones for Muschamp but the bottom line and facts are facts he's not an elite recruiter period.

You are right, facts are facts... We haven't had three years of recruiting of McElwain so we don't know.

And just like facts as facts... you only take on argument you think you can talk about, when the facts turn against you, you change the argument or act like those facts don't exist.

And you don't know what quote tags in HTML, they are pretty simple even Nav gets it.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
You are right, facts are facts... We haven't had three years of recruiting of McElwain so we don't know.

And just like facts as facts... you only take on argument you think you can talk about, when the facts turn against you, you change the argument or act like those facts don't exist.

And you don't know what quote tags in HTML, they are pretty simple even Nav gets it.
I haven't change any subjects I've said the same thing the whole time. I'm not saying he's not a decent coach I've said he can't recruit at an elite level.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I haven't change any subjects I've said the same thing the whole time. I'm not saying he's not a decent coach I've said he can't recruit at an elite level.

Really? Then what was this?

But you didn't change your argument? More of the same from you kev... make a statement, evidence against said statement, change argument.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Mac just may be super honest and he only had our Chumpster-fire results as the backdrop to his recruiting spiel?
So he relies on his know-how at developing players. Mac and these gators and incoming gators are a work in
progress. Not bad progress getting to the SEC championship his first year. Let's at least wait to see how 2016
fares. That seems the most fair observations - observations of on-field results of Mac's second year - only his
second year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.