Nueheisel comments on McElwain/UF offense

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
(from coaching search):

Rick Neuheisel says Jim McElwain’s recent raise and extension is deserved, but the offense needs to get going soon.

McElwain’s deal was extended one year through 2022 and included a $200,000 raise to $4.48 million annually.

“They hired him for his offensive acumen. … He’s coming there with the idea he’s going to be an offensive guy,” Neuheisel said on SiriusXM College Sports Nation. “We thought he and Nussmeier would fashion together a big-time offense. Maybe it would’ve been had Will Grier stayed, but when Grier got suspended for PEDs, it’s been on stall. While they’ve found ways to win the SEC East, the East has been nothing in comparison to the SEC West and Alabama.

“It’s a nice tribute, and with a new AD showing this excitement, but I think a lot of Gator fans want to see some offense. We’ll see if Malik Zaire can make some difference. A lot of people want to see offense. (But) the guy who’s won the East twice is fifth in the league in salary.”

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Mac has a 96% approval rate. He needs a Sully deal. That's purdy kewl.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
4.5 million? Are you ****ting me? Where the hell have I been? What planet is this?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
4.5 million? Are you ****ting me? Where the hell have I been? What planet is this?
I can't even imagine someone in any other field getting paid that much to be last in their field.

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
Coach Mac is a good offensive mind/coach. He was severely limited with his options/playcalling due to our roster deficiencies especially pertaining to depth and offensive personnel. He has worked diligently at fixing these problems and imo has done a good job. He has and continues to build depth everywhere and I think we are going to turn some heads in the years to come offensively and are primed for offensive prowess!

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Coach Mac is a good offensive mind/coach. He was severely limited with his options/playcalling due to our roster deficiencies especially pertaining to depth and offensive personnel. He has worked diligently at fixing these problems and imo has done a good job. He has and continues to build depth everywhere and I think we are going to turn some heads in the years to come offensively and are primed for offensive prowess!

Excuses don't work with a fan base that has seen other coaches make do with walkon. McElwain has not shown any ability to coach up a QB and UF fans have seen Spurrier, Hall, Pell and Meyer all deal with substandard QBs and make an offense respectable.

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
Excuses don't work with a fan base that has seen other coaches make do with walkon. McElwain has not shown any ability to coach up a QB and UF fans have seen Spurrier, Hall, Pell and Meyer all deal with substandard QBs and make an offense respectable.
I dont think all of it is based on QB imo. Some of the issues we saw were directly from the imbalanced oline numbers Mac inherited and a depleted receiving core. The tides are turining imo and we have the players/depth now to see an uptick in offensive efficiency. Im not blaming Mac for the inhertited situation he was dealt. He imo has improved these areas and we will see a more functional offense this year.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014

I'm curious to hear who you consider to be substandard under that list of coaches? They were unheralded or underrated perhaps, but substandard? I'm having trouble thinking of one this early in the morning.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I'm curious to hear who you consider to be substandard under that list of coaches? They were unheralded or underrated perhaps, but substandard? I'm having trouble thinking of one this early in the morning.

Not to speak for Insti, but here's a list of not exactly 5-star QB's (well, maybe Leak?):

Shane Matthews was an unheralded signee out of Mississippi (and 5th or lower on the depth chart when Spurrier arrived....and had just gotten in trouble for gambling prior to Spurrier's arrival in late 89).

Kerwin Bell was a walk-on (under Pell/Hall).

Bob Hewko & Wayne Peace weren't superstars when they came in (from my memory).

Leak wasn't suited to run Meyer's offense.

Donald Douglas/Kyle Morris (but that offense was essentially Emmitt Smith).

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Not to speak for Insti, but here's a list of not exactly 5-star QB's (well, maybe Leak?):

Shane Matthews was an unheralded signee out of Mississippi (and 5th or lower on the depth chart when Spurrier arrived....and had just gotten in trouble for gambling prior to Spurrier's arrival in late 89).

Wayne Peace was pretty big time I think for how recruiting was back then. I think a lot of top schools like Bama and others gave him offers also if I remember correctly. I see the point however.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014

I'm going off memory, not stats. I'm also not putting a ton of recruiting status into this, as the recruiting world has changed quite a bit. I was in middle school when Peace and Hewko were playing...

Most everyone you mentioned had either a strong arm, accuracy, or both. Couldn't tell you how much IQ or toughness was coached vs inherent.

Leak didn't fit meyer's spread, but had accuracy that Meyer couldn't ignore and even Zook knew he had to make the passing game a large part of the O (chump would've moved Leak to DB).

Douglass and Morris should not be on that list. They were both very inconsistent and Morris in particular was a gigantic INT factory. It was incredibly frustrating to watch that offense if the opposing d was able to slow down E Smith.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I'm going off memory, not stats. I'm also not putting a ton of recruiting status into this, as the recruiting world has changed quite a bit. I was in middle school when Peace and Hewko were playing...

Most everyone you mentioned had either a strong arm, accuracy, or both. Couldn't tell you how much IQ or toughness was coached vs inherent.

Leak didn't fit meyer's spread, but had accuracy that Meyer couldn't ignore and even Zook knew he had to make the passing game a large part of the O (chump would've moved Leak to DB).

Douglass and Morris should not be on that list. They were both very inconsistent and Morris in particular was a gigantic INT factory. It was incredibly frustrating to watch that offense if the opposing d was able to slow down E Smith.

Master Chief, the point is that all of those players got coached up one way or another. I agree on the last two, but they had a solid running game w Emmitt. Bottom line, it's put up or shut up for this head coach we have. He talked sh*t in his opening press conference....fine. But it's time for him to produce results. I'm tired - very, very tired - of all the excuses. It's year 3. Get your sh*t together or hire a new OC (we know he's not getting fired unless he bangs a coed on the UF president's desk). The excuses are worn out, let's see some results.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Master Chief, the point is that all of those players got coached up one way or another. I agree on the last two, but they had a solid running game w Emmitt. Bottom line, it's put up or shut up for this head coach we have. He talked sh*t in his opening press conference....fine. But it's time for him to produce results. I'm tired - very, very tired - of all the excuses. It's year 3. Get your sh*t together or hire a new OC (we know he's not getting fired unless he bangs a coed on the UF president's desk). The excuses are worn out, let's see some results.

Totally agree, but the examples given aren't comparable. I think Mac could succeed with most of the QBs listed. I can only guess because the closest one possibly worthy to wash the jockstraps of the others (sans the last 2) was reckless with GNC shopping trips and then quit on his teammates.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016

Peace was a big time recruit

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.