***Official Game Thread*** Florida at Vandy

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The last time we lost to Vandy, we won 9 in a row. We do that again, we're national champs. Just sayin'. :bananadance2:

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
The last time we lost to Vandy, we won 9 in a row. We do that again, we're national champs. Just sayin'. :bananadance2:
Colbert-High-Five.gif

Wuerffel4Pres

No offense
Lifetime Member
Aug 27, 2016
I blame the loss on my brother who sent me a text when UF was up 12 and declared UF would win.

This is why my brother and I never say jack squat during the game. As a matter of fact, big leads make us nervous because we're always afraid that we're going to blow it ... which in this case we did.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
We need 2 type players that White's missing. Having these two would allow for White's learning on the job lapses.
1) A big man who can "turn & shoot" (and make it of course) - the type that gets fouls called on their guys.
2) An outside (esp 3 pointers) sharpshooter. {Maybe Hester can develop into that.

What is already in place with this team is that our leading scorer keeps shifting around. Still, DRob needs to come back and in the offseason work on his "take-over the game" aggressiveness. Hayes already hits 65% of his FGs but he needs a partner inside. Oh-oh right now we got business to take care of.

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
FTs were a disparity in this game. Vandy shot 9 more and made 8 of em. That, and we had 4 more TOs.
Otherwise, we out shot and out rebounded them.
But losing the way we did after being up 12? Well, this one's on the coach - hope he learned something.

Last edited:

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
FTs were a disparity in this game. Vandy shot 9 more and made 8 of em. That, and we had 4 more TOs.
But losing the way we did after being up 12? Well, this one's on the coach - hope he learned something.

I think Coach White wanted to see how we would defend Kornet with a smaller lineup. He isn't a typical back to the basket big guy. He can do that,
but he is at his best as a jump shooter.Knocking down threes and jumpers on the perimeter. It was a nice mix up strategy from White, but he never countered with Hayes when they went more into the post, and got numerous layups from the little white guy. In short I think he overplayed his hand, and
should have inserted Hayes in the last 4-5 minutes for defensive purposes. Rimmer or Gak didn't get any minutes, so I think this was a pre-planned defensive strategy from coach. Unfortunately he never adjusted from it after Vandy clearly changed their strategy. This was also probably the worst game Kasey has had in awhile in terms of silly turnovers, fouls and missed lay ups.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015

Or on the players not executing. It looked like driving was a good option but if you don't score that is not so good.

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Or on the players not executing. It looked like driving was a good option but if you don't score that is not so good.
Yep, the players gotta make the plays, no doubt about that. And Allen disappearing in the 2nd half is unacceptable for a player of his caliber.
My comment regarding White was more................... Vandy countered White's move to go small by sending Kornet down into the paint and White never countered back by putting Hayes back in while Kornet was eating us alive down there.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Why'd you bring up him winning SEC coach of the year? Seems like you were trying to discredit him. If not, my apologies

I can see why you would think that since I wasn't very clear.

I was trying to mock the people that think that because he won COY he has it all figured out which he does not.

I think he is improving and I am hopeful that he turns out to be "The Guy"

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I can see why you would think that since I wasn't very clear.

I was trying to mock the people that think that because he won COY he has it all figured out which he does not.

I think he is improving and I am hopeful that he turns out to be "The Guy"

That's fair. I'd say most are just excited how he has turned it around in one year with basically the same guys (Barry and DFS are very similar). He is showing signs that he was an awesome hire, but only time will tell.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
That's fair. I'd say most are just excited how he has turned it around in one year with basically the same guys (Barry and DFS are very similar). He is showing signs that he was an awesome hire, but only time will tell.

So you think the chances are pretty good that Barry starts 30+ games in the NBA next season? Heck who knows maybe his name will get him a shot and he will stick.

Here are their UF SR season numbers:

Finney-Smith: 31.8 min, 14.7 points, 8.3 reb, 3.8 A+B+S, 1.9 TOs, 22.1 PER, 116.7 Offensive rating, 96.8 Defensive rating
Barry: 22.1 min, 12.5 points, 2.9 reb, 1.6 A+B+S, 0.9 TOs, 22.5 PER, Offensive rating 122.5, Defensive rating 98.6

So I guess if you give Barry those extra 9.7 minutes he would might score as much as Finney-Smith and he would be closer to him on all numbers, but Finney-Smith was a better rebounder at UF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator