***OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: Orange vs Blue***

Which QB will have the better spring game?

• Feleipe Franks

Votes: 27 24.5%
  • Kyle Trask

Votes: 83 75.5%

• Total voters

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
We could do this a little differently. Who thinks it matters whether Trask is better than Franks or vice-versa?
giphy.gif

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
You're right. They won't be alternating.

Donk is feeling his oats after the O&B. It's nice to see him reach midseason form rolling into summer. I think we may be in for a very special season of posting.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Because of his long run in the spring game last season. It was as impressive as any run that Franks has made.
So a long run in a scrimmage wearing a non-contact jersey proves ability? Damn, he’s Heisman material!

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
So a long run in a scrimmage wearing a non-contact jersey proves ability? Damn, he’s Heisman material!
If I could roll my eyes any harder at you they would fall out of my skull.

In short, neither Trask or Franks can run.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Didn’t Trask hold a clipboard in HS because his team ran the option and he couldn’t run? Even as back-up you’d have to get more than 6 yards in a season wouldn’t you? I’m confused on why so many keep saying he can run the ball. :dunno:
I assume that is six yards net. Be interested in learning how many were subtracted for sacks.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If that’s 50-60k, we’ve got room for 150k. :lol:
Picture was from the second half, like he said. During the second half people in the sun started to leave or move to find shade. It was pretty warm. During the first half that side definitely had more people. 50k was a good estimate.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Some good observations and comments (to go along with some of the usual blather :)). To the question about the QB position, I'd have to agree that Trask looked more "comfortable" in the pocket and reading the progressions, but that has certainly been an issue with Franks from the get go and it doesn't seem to have markedly improved. Both were throwing at a 50% clip where accuracy is concerned, so this leads to the question are these two guys just hopelessly average or was the D that far ahead of the O right now. The easy answer would be "Yes!" But I doubt the D was in championship form, even though they looked ok putting some pressure on the passer and covering well for the most part. Truth of the matter is, as one poster observed, Franks and Trask are likely Del Rio and Appleby 2.0 in terms of ability and ceiling. We'll just have to see what hopefully better coaching can do for them, but more importantly what it can do for Emory Jones. This scenario is just another parting gift from the Clown Prince of CFB and, sadly, the decade of inconsistent and ineffective positional recruiting.

As most realize, how much improvement Hevesy can squeeze from the OL will be a giant factor on just how consistent and successful we can be offensively. Maybe not as bad, but we still looked inconsistent across the front and the Blue's OL had noticeable trouble in pass pro. Personally, I have a lot of confidence in Hevesy and what he can accomplish. I think he's the best OL coach we've had since, well, since Hevesy! If we can stay healthy, improve some under his tutelage, and not let the position continue to be a recruiting deficit, I believe something good's coming. Just got to survive the upcoming season.

I wasn't too crazy about the scrimmage format, but the vibe seems to be that it was at least more enjoyable and that Mullen has a better plan than what we've suffered through lately. He's made a good first step in getting some elite recruits to visit and consider UF again and I was glad to see and read about some of the kids that visited for the game. Now, getting more of these type recruits to commit and stick will be a big part of the make or break.

One last thing on the QB. Franks did a couple of things that were encouraging, namely throwing the ball away instead of losing yards or turning it over and he was able to scramble and extend a couple of plays. But he still looked to have trouble processing where and when to throw the ball at game speed. The biggest negative play to me was when he overthrew Jefferson on the sidelines, restricting what would have been a big play to simply a reception and a step out of bounds. More troubling was that he seemed to laugh it off as in "no big deal" when Jefferson, with his arms outstretched, seemed to be saying "c'mon man!?" It's as if Franks has taken for granted that he's going to be the man. Mullen commented that he would have liked for (the QB) to have led the receiver to the inside more, but I guess to Franks it was a completion and that was good enough. I just don't think he gets it, despite the fact it was a glorified practice. You are what you consistently do. And for the record, Trask doesn't engender a whole lot more confidence, but if we were to be stout defensively and have a good running game, he's probably the guy best suited to be a game manager if you had to have that.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Some good observations and comments (to go along with some of the usual blather :)). To the question about the QB position, I'd have to agree that Trask looked more "comfortable" in the pocket and reading the progressions, but that has certainly been an issue with Franks from the get go and it doesn't seem to have markedly improved. Both were throwing at a 50% clip where accuracy is concerned, so this leads to the question are these two guys just hopelessly average or was the D that far ahead of the O right now. The easy answer would be "Yes!" But I doubt the D was in championship form, even though they looked ok putting some pressure on the passer and covering well for the most part. Truth of the matter is, as one poster observed, Franks and Trask are likely Del Rio and Appleby 2.0 in terms of ability and ceiling. We'll just have to see what hopefully better coaching can do for them, but more importantly what it can do for Emory Jones. This scenario is just another parting gift from the Clown Prince of CFB and, sadly, the decade of inconsistent and ineffective positional recruiting.

As most realize, how much improvement Hevesy can squeeze from the OL will be a giant factor on just how consistent and successful we can be offensively. Maybe not as bad, but we still looked inconsistent across the front and the Blue's OL had noticeable trouble in pass pro. Personally, I have a lot of confidence in Hevesy and what he can accomplish. I think he's the best OL coach we've had since, well, since Hevesy! If we can stay healthy, improve some under his tutelage, and not let the position continue to be a recruiting deficit, I believe something good's coming. Just got to survive the upcoming season.

I wasn't too crazy about the scrimmage format, but the vibe seems to be that it was at least more enjoyable and that Mullen has a better plan than what we've suffered through lately. He's made a good first step in getting some elite recruits to visit and consider UF again and I was glad to see and read about some of the kids that visited for the game. Now, getting more of these type recruits to commit and stick will be a big part of the make or break.

One last thing on the QB. Franks did a couple of things that were encouraging, namely throwing the ball away instead of losing yards or turning it over and he was able to scramble and extend a couple of plays. But he still looked to have trouble processing where and when to throw the ball at game speed. The biggest negative play to me was when he overthrew Jefferson on the sidelines, restricting what would have been a big play to simply a reception and a step out of bounds. More troubling was that he seemed to laugh it off as in "no big deal" when Jefferson, with his arms outstretched, seemed to be saying "c'mon man!?" It's as if Franks has taken for granted that he's going to be the man. Mullen commented that he would have liked for (the QB) to have led the receiver to the inside more, but I guess to Franks it was a completion and that was good enough. I just don't think he gets it, despite the fact it was a glorified practice. You are what you consistently do. And for the record, Trask doesn't engender a whole lot more confidence, but if we were to be stout defensively and have a good running game, he's probably the guy best suited to be a game manager if you had to have that.

What are your thoughts on Emory’s limited participation? How do you think he looks?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
From that Carter's Corner Article:
All were pleased how Mullen created so much togetherness - young players with past players. Franks is quoted as emphasizing DM's wisdom in doing that. Yet Carter states that on McGriff's TD Franks was suppose to throw to Johnson (lateral) and Johnson throws the TD to McGriff.?? I'd like that stupidity cleared up. Talk about Franks not going through progressions ?

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
What are your thoughts on Emory’s limited participation? How do you think he looks?
I think he's got the tools and from what I hear from an old coaching buddy that worked with him in Heard County is that he is smart, works hard, and is a good citizen. All good qualities you want in your guy under center. I think barring anything out of the ordinary that they'll work on his touch along with progression, maybe work out some mechanical things and have him at least serviceable in the fall. Even though there was not a lot on display, I put a lot of stock in his early enrollment and the impact it will have on him becoming an effective QB in terms of not only what is required of him physically, but also mentally. He appears more fluid than anybody we've had in a while. His athleticism and the related decision making (i.e. knowing when it's time to run or just extend the play) is acceptable from a guy who under normal circumstances would just be getting over prom and readying himself for his HS graduation. Based on these things, I can't help but think the game will slow down for him much quicker than what was hoped for with Franks, who just seems to be playing a 33-1/3 record on 78 in his brain a lot of the time, maybe more so last year than this, but I don't think he's grasped it all yet by any means. I think he'll benefit from better coaching (my perception) than any of the other QB's have had thus far. I don't think he'll have as much to un-learn as maybe Franks does to go along with the changes in scheme that will be required along with the physical and mental refinements necessary. I'll have to see more of him to be able to give a better opinion on the specifics, but again, I do think he has a great upside.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
From that Carter's Corner Article:
All were pleased how Mullen created so much togetherness - young players with past players. Franks is quoted as emphasizing DM's wisdom in doing that. Yet Carter states that on McGriff's TD Franks was suppose to throw to Johnson (lateral) and Johnson throws the TD to McGriff.?? I'd like that stupidity cleared up. Talk about Franks not going through progressions ?
Franks needed the yards.

They already counted Trash' 60 yard pass to Safety Lawrence Wright as a completion instead of an interception.

And fvkk Doug Johnson, as always.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.