Official GCMB Beer Aficionado Thread

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gatordiddy;255068 said:
I went to school with tons of folks from Winter Haven, Lakeland, Auburndale, etc.
Wayne Peace is a Lakeland boy too I believe

Yes he is, still there.

I grew up in WH, parents still live there. Family business was in Bartow and I worked/lived in Lakeland for 5 years.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Polk County is God's country, alright. As in, "Oh God, how did I mess this place up this badly?"

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n255170 said:
Polk County is God's country, alright. As in, "Oh God, how did I mess this place up this badly?"

:exactly:

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Lakeland in the hizzouse.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Ya ain't from Polk County unless you pronounce it "PokeCowknee".

Alex.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This is a very interesting and educational thread for me. My beer roots started with Miller High Life in the bottle on fishing trips with my granddaddy. Like many, weekend parties started with a beer purchase of whatever was on sale (Hamm's, Red White and Blue, and the perennial favorite of cheapskates everywhere, PBR, or "Headache in a Can" as my main running buddy used to call it). I progressed to Mille Light when I was working out pretty steady, sacrificing taste for the lure of lower calories. Bad trade in retrospect. The best of those days were when our New Orleans friends would return from a visit to the big easy and bring us several cases of Dixie back. Of course those cheap Coon @sses collected upfront and charged us a couple of case prices for the effort. Today it's mostly Bud Light (yes, I'll drink the lime variety occasionally), but I really prefer Corona Extra. I guess this is my redneck way of drinking an "upscale" beer.

I'm a newbie to the craft beers, having first tried them at BJ's in Tallahassee. For sure I didn't know what I was doing, as the couple I tried reminded me of the swill English sailors drank in the days of Admiral Lord Nelson. Since then I have tried offerings from Sweetwater (I think) Brewery and it was okay, even if it does come from up in Dawg country I'm told. You all have given me some good ideas on what to try when I'm away from home. And all this time I thought the talk of home brews was maybe a rebirth of the defunct panhandle moonshine industry.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
cover2;n255499 said:
This is a very interesting and educational thread for me. My beer roots started with Miller High Life in the bottle on fishing trips with my granddaddy. Like many, weekend parties started with a beer purchase of whatever was on sale (Hamm's, Red White and Blue, and the perennial favorite of cheapskates everywhere, PBR, or "Headache in a Can" as my main running buddy used to call it). I progressed to Mille Light when I was working out pretty steady, sacrificing taste for the lure of lower calories. Bad trade in retrospect. The best of those days were when our New Orleans friends would return from a visit to the big easy and bring us several cases of Dixie back. Of course those cheap Coon @sses collected upfront and charged us a couple of case prices for the effort. Today it's mostly Bud Light (yes, I'll drink the lime variety occasionally), but I really prefer Corona Extra. I guess this is my redneck way of drinking an "upscale" beer.

I'm a newbie to the craft beers, having first tried them at BJ's in Tallahassee. For sure I didn't know what I was doing, as the couple I tried reminded me of the swill English sailors drank in the days of Admiral Lord Nelson. Since then I have tried offerings from Sweetwater (I think) Brewery and it was okay, even if it does come from up in Dawg country I'm told. You all have given me some good ideas on what to try when I'm away from home. And all this time I thought the talk of home brews was maybe a rebirth of the defunct panhandle moonshine industry.

If you're new to it, I'd suggest starting off with some good lagers like Sam Adams and Cigar City Hotter than Helles. Even a Shiner Bock will ease you into the better quality beer without straying from the style you know. From there you can venture into some Belgium Whites or brown ales. If you like the Sam Adams Boston Lager, you may want to venture into some quality pale ales. If you drink your coffee black, you may want to try some porters and stouts. There is literally and endless number of ways to attack it. I will say that as you start to drink more, your tastes will change. So just because you try something early and don't like it, that doesn't mean that you won't like it months down the road.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Hard to go from drinking Bud Light to IPAs and the like.

It's like going from French vanilla iced coffee with enough cream in it that it's barely beige to straight espresso.

First thing to do is figure out what you like in a beer.

The two main families are lagers and ales. The difference is how the yeast works, top fermenting or bottom fermenting. The older styles are ales and they are easier to make so almost all homebrewers make ales. Lagers have to be kept at a consistent cold temperature while fermenting so they are a lot harder to pull off. However, they generally give a crisp, brighter, cleaner taste which is why they are so popular (especially in the Summer).

Next there's the flavor components. There's the aroma hops, the bittering hops, and the malt. The hops bring the bitter, the malt brings the sweet. Malt is a little like honey. It brings the sugars to the party that the yeast will consume to create alcohol and fizz. Generally, the darkness of the malt determines the color of the beer. Like a Louisiana roux, you can have it every shade from blonde, to honey, to caramel, to chocolate. Another good analogy would be the roast you prefer on your coffee bean, from light all the way to burnt.

So start with ale or lager, then decide if you like malty, hoppy, or balanced.

American bulk beers try to imitate the Pilsner style (a lager). If that's what you like, try Pilsner Urquell. It's what they're trying to taste like.

If you are into the hops, then you're in luck. You have tons to choose from. A pale ale is generally darker than most lagers, but lighter than most ales. It's another great place to start if you grew up on American beer. India Pale Ale or IPA is an over-hopped version of a pale ale the British came up with to withstand the long voyage to India. This is the most common style and flavor you see from American craft brewers.

Another fine British beer you might appreciate is a bitter. Don't be scared off by the name. These are well balanced ales. Try Fuller's ESB. It's a fine example.

As I stated before, I'm a fan of bocks, double bocks, and Oktoberfests. These are all good beers and accessible to the Miller Lite palate. Spaten makes a good dopplebock called Optimator and a good Oktoberfestbier that are pretty easy to find.

Then, getting away from what Corona drinkers recognize as beer is what I think of as liquid bread. These are the rich, hearty ales that fasting monks used to nourish themselves. Full of flavor, not very fizzy and often tastier at slightly warmer temperatures, these beers are a completely different animal. Whereas your can of Coors was the beverage you used to wash down your sandwich, these beers were often the meal themselves (maybe with a hunk of cheese or sausage). Drinking these beers is very different from drinking an IPA.

Belgian beers (my favorite) are often very different (and I'm not talking about Stella or that Blue Moon wheat beer). They can be very expensive, come in a corked bottle, and have live yeast sediment at the bottom. The flavors are complex but not necessarily harsh. They are sort of their own thing.

Alex.

Jand3k

I Don't Re Member
Sep 12, 2014
That's some really solid info above by alcoholica (go figure :wink:) and AlexDaGator!

:drunk:

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Born in the old Lakeland Hospital. Lived in Bartow my first 3 years then Lakeland (on Moose Drive). Grandparents lived in Medulla and had a grove of pink grapefruit (best on earth) along with navels, tangerines and others. We had family reunions at Christina Park for years. All my cousins went to Lime St Elem. and then became Dreadnaughts. So my paternal roots are all there but I lived in Alachua County from the age of 6 on up............
oh yeah, my dad was a Mulberry Panther and graduated about 48.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
stephenPE;n255824 said:
Born in the old Lakeland Hospital. Lived in Bartow my first 3 years then Lakeland (on Moose Drive). Grandparents lived in Medulla and had a grove of pink grapefruit (best on earth) along with navels, tangerines and others. We had family reunions at Christina Park for years. All my cousins went to Lime St Elem. and then became Dreadnaughts. So my paternal roots are all there but I lived in Alachua County from the age of 6 on up............
oh yeah, my dad was a Mulberry Panther and graduated about 48.

Coach are you drunk? What does this have to do with beer? You posting in the wrong thread again? :lol:

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I had a few selections from Victory brewery this past weekend. Not too shabby. Although I did try one that I saw someone mention earlier, brass monkey. Thought it tasted awful but thats personal preference for ya!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Durty South Swamp;n255910 said:
Coach are you drunk? What does this have to do with beer? You posting in the wrong thread again? :lol:

:rotfl: I love coach.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Man, that alzheimers is somethin, ain't it?

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Tried a Uinta double IPA called detour this afternoon when I got home. Excellent!
3db06db8bcb0aab034b59a3d785583a1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Durty South Swamp;n255912 said:
I had a few selections from Victory brewery this past weekend. Not too shabby. Although I did try one that I saw someone mention earlier, brass monkey. Thought it tasted awful but thats personal preference for ya!

Not sure, but I think Victory has some InBev backing

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
alcoholica;n256102 said:
Not sure, but I think Victory has some InBev backing

It may, i havent looked, but since it was already posted about and I tried a couple i liked by them (and one that tasted like sh##) I thought I'd share. At any rate, look at my next post, that Uinta out of salt lake utah is awesome.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Durty South Swamp;n256174 said:
It may, i havent looked, but since it was already posted about and I tried a couple i liked by them (and one that tasted like sh##) I thought I'd share. At any rate, look at my next post, that Uinta out of salt lake utah is awesome.

I can barely enjoy a Pale Ale, let alone a double IPA lol

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Ok girls, its friday, and that means some drinking is going to commence soon. What's on everyones short list this weekend? Let's hear it.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It's pizza and movie night with the family! In the fridge right now - I'll start off this evening with a can of All Day IPA from Founders (while walking around the back yard watering plants and :bandit:), then move up to a 22 oz. Firestone Walker Union Jack IPA and top that off with a 22 oz. Breakside Double IPA. I also have a Jai Alai and a Bimini Twist in the fridge that my buddy from Gainesville sent me a couple of weeks ago that might get tapped earlier on as well, depending on when I get out of the office. :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator