Orange Endzones for Missouri

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I got to run around on that turf in the summer of '89 and could not believe how hard it was.
Awful on the joints but it sure helped us exploit Florida speed while it was around. I was glad to see it go.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Not clear what you're saying. We went to real grass in '90.
I think he’s saying he likes the cursive script in the end zone rather than the slanted block letters.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I got to run around on that turf in the summer of '89 and could not believe how hard it was.
We’d stick around the stadium after every game growing up. 30 minutes or so everyone was off the field and a bunch of people would go out and run around. And then we went to the grass field and that ended real quick.

I fvking hate that font.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Astroturf was the most unbelievably miserable sh*t to play on. When I was in high school, we did a bunch of 7 on 7 tournaments at Liberty University when they still had it, and my shins would be absolutely killing me for days afterward. Field Turf is one of the best innovations in sports field technology history, maybe the best.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Astroturf was the most unbelievably miserable sh*t to play on. When I was in high school, we did a bunch of 7 on 7 tournaments at Liberty University when they still had it, and my shins would be absolutely killing me for days afterward. Field Turf is one of the best innovations in sports field technology history, maybe the best.
Running is one thing, I couldn't imagine being tackled on it. Absolutely no give - you might as well play football in the parking lot.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Hard surfaces and seams. Wendell Davis' career was ended when he tripped over one at Veteran's Stadium. Practically ripped the patella right off.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Running is one thing, I couldn't imagine being tackled on it. Absolutely no give - you might as well play football in the parking lot.

When I was younger I played against two high school teams with bad turf and two with good turf and it's amazing how much of a difference there is and especially compared to that old nasty tough astroturf...

Good turf is a lot more spongy while the turf Hannibal got from the old STL Rams was absolutely awful. Felt like hitting concrete

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
Didn’t play football but we had a room called the Florida room at our house that was just Astro turf instead of carpet. Made playing Atari as a kid while sitting on the floor really unpleasant

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I've been on the Citrus Bowl turf and it is downright bouncy. It's all these tiny little rubber pellets with the "turf" poking up.

Spurrier hated the artificial turf. He pulled up "Doug's Rug" (named for former coach Doug Dickey) and my understanding is that they moved it to the practice field and we practiced on it if we were playing a turf team on the road (Tennessee, Alabama, Syracuse, Sugar Bowl, etc.).

Spurrier wanted to get rid of the astroturf, bring back blue jerseys, and put Miami back on the schedule. He got 3 out of 3 but then the SEC expanded and added another conference game so we had to drop Miami again and replace them with teams that didn't demand a return game.

Alex.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
If you are familiar with pony field where the band practices, it was renovated with field turf with orange endzone with the exact front. My guess this is permanent change.
I have a 18"×36"piece of the astro turf from Florida field, I have plans to make a miniature for the man cave, but have never got around to it.
Emmitt spent three years running on that concrete and still managed to be the all-time leading rusher in the NFL, the man deserves a statue.:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator