Our offensive line is wretched

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
I went to the game and saw Riles getting his ass handed to him several times. Once we get Ivey back and we're able to move Halter back to RG we'll have a decent starting 5. However I wasn't at all impressed with our DT's. I think they should move Bullard back inside and let Ivie come off the bench.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorphan;272717 said:
I thought they looked horrible at first. But by mid 2nd quarter it was much better. Honestly, I expected the D-line to be much better than what I saw.

cant wait to see it on tv

They were pretty solid in the 2nd half. They were a mess in the 1st half. (#17??) was living in our backfield. Hopefully Ivey's return will shore that up for SEC play.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The Oline showed their experience and were pushed around, stunted and struggled at times. I saw improvement as the year went on last year, I am positive Coach Summers will have them playing decent when we get to SEC play. Run plays, helmet on helmet let our great RB's find the hole, pass protection just give the QB 3-4 seconds and don't let them get hurt.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Marianna said:
I went to the game and saw Riles getting his ass handed to him several times. Once we get Ivey back and we're able to move Halter back to RG we'll have a decent starting 5. However I wasn't at all impressed with our DT's. I think they should move Bullard back inside and let Ivie come off the bench.

Watch Brantley on the replay. He has a crazy first step. Very Dom Easley-like.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Sharp and Halter look like studs. Everyone else needs some work. They were playing a lot if guys and at a lot if positions. I think once they shake it all out we'll have a serviceable line. Hopefully Ivey will be as good as advertised.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
Obviously they will need to get much better than they were last night, but team picked up more than 600 yards TO. Although it was against an admittedly inferior opponent, those guys must've done a few things right.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorTAG;n272920 said:
Sharp and Halter look like studs. Everyone else needs some work. They were playing a lot if guys and at a lot if positions. I think once they shake it all out we'll have a serviceable line. Hopefully Ivey will be as good as advertised.

I'm not sure what game you were watching. Halter at times played like Tyler Moore out there. I can see why Ivey will be the starter when healthy and he will be the first backup called. Maybe he'll play better at guard. He struggled most against quick DE's, but he did play better at RT than LT.

When I rewatched the game, I thought the line played better than I initially thought. There were some missed assignments that can be fixed by coaching, but many of the worst offensive plays weren't the O-line's fault. Grier's fumble was off of a corner blitz. Everyone picked up their man perfectly on that play, there was just no one to pick up that corner. I think Grier thought he would have more time, but the routes down field took too long to develop. It was simply the perfect defensive call on what we were going to run. The good news is that they tried that same corner blitz later, and Grier read it and got the ball out before the corner could get in the pocket.

The biggest whiffs of the night came from the TE's. All the TE's, including McGee at times, struggled with run blocking. These guys are the exact opposites of our TE's from last year in every way. Most of the poor run plays can be contributed to them. They will definitely need to improve in this area.

Overall these first two games are a great way for our O-line to learn, and I think they'll improve as the season progresses.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n273908 said:
I thought the Oline looked better than what this board's expectations were.

I thought so too. I mean they were rough around the edges sure, but they did much better than I was expecting for their first real game together.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Sharpe had a number of rough moments. Riles was embarrassingly bad. I thought Halter did well. Fred Johnson
looked good too but also had some rough moments. Tyler Jordan was solid at RG. Why Riles is ahead of him I don't understand. I thought their biggest issues were cohesion and awareness. Both of those will improve the more they play together.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
The good news is: the pundits can't say that 4 of our 5 starting OLs have never started a D1 football game before! :D

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
But hey, let's be glad our line didn't give up 10 sacks to Temple, one of which was against a two man rush. :lol:

Two man rush sack is at the :51 mark.

[video=youtube;HIvl3ufhNIc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIvl3ufhNIc[/video]

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Depth chart for this week says Halter or ivey to start at LT. If Ivey is back at 100% and ready to play, that will help these guys out.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I thought the o line was better in the second half than the first, and i was very happy that there wasn't constant false starts on them, however it seemed at times fairly easy for NMSUs D line to break through, even doing so at least once with a 3 man rush.
They'll need to gel and build on the improvements they have already made if we want to be competitive against better competition.
I do think they'll improve as we move forward, but I think there are going to be times throughout the season that are going to be frustrating with opposing teams pass rush.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;274055 said:
But hey, let's be glad our line didn't give up 10 sacks to Temple, one of which was against a two man rush. :lol:

And there were like three guys blocking the one guy that sacked him.

Swamped Gator

Sep 17, 2014
Ivey said he was ready to play and was begging the staff to let him play. Trainers wouldn't allow it.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n274055 said:

Was glad to see that scumbag Franklin get his comeuppance. Next to Fisher he's the sleaziest coach in college football. I wonder if the folks who wanted him here still do.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
PastyStoole;n274116 said:
Was glad to see that scumbag Franklin get his comeuppance. Next to Fisher he's the sleaziest coach in college football. I wonder if the folks who wanted him here still do.
I was one who wanted him here. Definitely glad we didn't get him.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n274131 said:
Well he did come into the swamp with a true freshman at qb and march it up and down the field on us .

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.