Patch up the Oline and we are fine

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
This board. 3 star U, baby!

The great news is that the rest if the SEC, except Nick's 5 star U, looked like shyt too.

Our 5 stars were getting whipped too (Sharpe and Ivey). Heck one of our best performers on OL was a 3 star freshman (Taylor).

image.gif

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Our 5 stars were getting whipped too (Sharpe and Ivey). Heck one of our best performers on OL was a 3 star freshman (Taylor).

View attachment 3794

Watched a little more of the game trying to focus on our O line and Ivey seems to get confused on what his responsibility is when they were moving guys around and putting them on the line just before the ball was snapped. They ran right past a slow reacting Ivey a few times when it was clear that was his reponsibility. As far as RT Fred Johnson his responsibility disrupted things a few times but he usually pushed them out wide enough not to but I may have missed some of his bad plays. Sharpe didn't stick out too bad from what I saw but I only saw maybe half of our offensive plays.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The five star OL shouldn't be on the field yet. They should have been waiting in line behind the 4 and 5 stars, and better 3 stars, from the 2011 and 2012 classes.

Taylor wasn't close to being the best performer on the OL, he just looked better than FAU Fred.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
The five star OL shouldn't be on the field yet. They should have been waiting in line behind the 4 and 5 stars, and better 3 stars, from the 2011 and 2012 classes.

Taylor wasn't close to being the best performer on the OL, he just looked better than FAU Fred.

I agree with the gist of what you're saying, however we shouldn't need 2-3 years of development to whip Umass Front 7. There is something else very wrong going on.

The OL was zombie like and wasn't acting like the "I want to murder you" big uglies like they should. May have something to do with their position coach being 85 years old...

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The O-Line STUNK. We should have rushed for over 180 yards against a team like that.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
No posters have said that we were going to be great. One non-serious poster kept chanting "12-0 !
NC baby !" Others mentioned only that LDR or our QB will be great compared to Treon. I will admit
that the optimistic expected better than what we got versus cupcake UMass. This jousting opponent
called "Sunshine Pumpers" is a strawdog figment for pessimists' play. The concensus of optimists
was that we should be able to win 10 games again. That's hardly pumping since we won 10 even
saddled with Treon. Now 10 wins may be too lofty?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
No posters have said that we were going to be great. One non-serious poster kept chanting "12-0 !
NC baby !" Others mentioned only that LDR or our QB will be great compared to Treon. I will admit
that the optimistic expected better than what we got versus cupcake UMass. This jousting opponent
called "Sunshine Pumpers" is a strawdog figment for pessimists' play. The concensus of optimists
was that we should be able to win 10 games again. That's hardly pumping since we won 10 even
saddled with Treon. Now 10 wins may be too lofty?

The pessimists might say minus a decent kicker which we didn't have last season we scored 15 points against about the worst team in FBS putting us on par with the end of last season. Hopefully its just 1st game growing pains.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
@GatorTAG was at the game and said OL was dominating them and we should have run to set up the pass. Can you elaborate Tag? Would like to get a discussion going since you were actually at the game...
Yes, Umess couldn't stop the run. But coaches decided to abandon the run and Mark Thompson who was running all over them.
GatorTag was at a different game than I was at then. Del Rio was under constant pressure on every pass and run blocking did open a few holes but, very few.

Sarcasm here.. love that we brought back the Zook bubble screen offense again.
Sharpe was stoning their defenders all night. Del Rio had time he was just slow getting rid of the ball. Sharpe was stoning their defenders all night. Del Rio doesn't have the arm to be throwing 15 yard sideline passes. He was consistently behind receivers and throwing it in the dirt. They should have been running the ball.
The O-Line STUNK. We should have rushed for over 180 yards against a team like that.
Agreed. If we rushed 44 times we would have score 40+.

Somebody in chat last night said the coaches treated this like a scrimmage. I would say that's what it looked like. The play calling was a joke. They consistently went against what was working. It looked like they were just going through their play book randomly calling pass plays. The coaches didn't seem to take this game seriously until the 4th qtr. Then they decided to run the ball and go ahead and win the game. The first 3 qtrs. We're poor coaching. The players were playing well.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yes, Umess couldn't stop the run. But coaches decided to abandon the run and Mark Thompson who was running all over them.

Sharpe was stoning their defenders all night. Del Rio had time he was just slow getting rid of the ball. Sharpe was stoning their defenders all night. Del Rio doesn't have the arm to be throwing 15 yard sideline passes. He was consistently behind receivers and throwing it in the dirt. They should have been running the ball.

Agreed. If we rushed 44 times we would have score 40+.

Somebody in chat last night said the coaches treated this like a scrimmage. I would say that's what it looked like. The play calling was a joke. They consistently went against what was working. It looked like they were just going through their play book randomly calling pass plays. The coaches didn't seem to take this game seriously until the 4th qtr. Then they decided to run the ball and go ahead and win the game. The first 3 qtrs. We're poor coaching. The players were playing well.

Well watching the replay I disagree about us running on them early in that game. They were holding up against us running the ball although you do make a good point about us not trying to run the ball down their throats like we should have probably. I never remember watching any of the running plays early and saying damn our O line really trucked them etc.

I do agree Del Rio had time on some of those plays he ended up having to throw it away.

Did Ivey stick out live when not picking up his responsibility a few times in pass blocking?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Also concerned about Nuss...passing game needs to go vertical and need to run the ball more
You hit the nail on the head, brother. People this offensive line while not being great WAS NOT the problem last night. Yes, they got some pressure but QB's don't get 6-8 seconds to throw the ball these days in football. Other than the stupid 4th down when Mac did what you NEVER do and take points off the board, we were getting 5, 6 and 8 yards when running the ball, and NO I'm not saying we need to be a run first or run only team but damnit take a few more runs to set up some play action, see Bama,....BTW kudos to the offensive line for winning the 4th quarter decisively despite Nuss's best attempt to f vck even that up.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Some of you bitching about pressure need to realize that they blitzed also and when there's no f vcking back in the backfield to pick it up it's because the play calling sucks...We called plays like we did in the last 6 games last year when we didn't need to....Stop playing small ball Mac/Nuss and let your starters get settled into their role before trying to use 5 RB's in the first half.....Players and lines need to get into a rhythm.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Did Ivey stick out live when not picking up his responsibility a few times in pass blocking?
I didn't specifically see Ivey get beat. As a whole the line looked to protect well and create a pocket and time for Del Rio. Either the plays were slow developing or he was slow in his decision making. Sure, there were times when he got pressure. Every game has some. But the coaches didn't help him out any by running first to set up the pass. UMass seemed to be play pass all night and we obliged.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I didn't specifically see Ivey get beat. As a whole the line looked to protect well and create a pocket and time for Del Rio. Either the plays were slow developing or he was slow in his decision making. Sure, there were times when he got pressure. Every game has some. But the coaches didn't help him out any by running first to set up the pass. UMass seemed to be play pass all night and we obliged.

I just noticed it on the replay a couple of times. They would move a guy around to Ivey's responsibility and Ivey would hesitate like he wasn't sure it was his responsibility when it was and the defender went past him hardly touched a few times.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
I was 20 rows up behind our bench. So I didn't notice specifics like that. I'm going to watch the game now and maybe l change my mind. But as a whole I felt like our guys were doing their job and we could beat UMass easily at any time. At no point was I worried that we would lose that game. But the play calling was disjointed and seemed to go against what was working. It was like the coaches were just playing with their toys and not taking it seriously.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Can we please stop defending the OL? We got whipped by UMass...UMASS. Sure, playcalling sucked last night, but that does not excuse 3.7 yards per carry and the constant pressure. Lots of missed assignments by the OL.

We shouldn't have to run the ball 44 times vs UMass, we should be able to go bombs over Baghdad on them and do WHATEVER WE WANT.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Colorado, Bowling Green and Toledo all put up 50+ against Umass last year. The o line is a huge issue. I thought they got pressure on LDR all night. We should've man-handled them. It's early though. We'll see.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
I just noticed it on the replay a couple of times. They would move a guy around to Ivey's responsibility and Ivey would hesitate like he wasn't sure it was his responsibility when it was and the defender went past him hardly touched a few times.

Can we please stop defending the OL? We got whipped by UMass...UMASS. Sure, playcalling sucked last night, but that does not excuse 3.7 yards per carry and the constant pressure. Lots of missed assignments by the OL.

We shouldn't have to run the ball 44 times vs UMass, we should be able to go bombs over Baghdad on them and do WHATEVER WE WANT.
Has it been mentioned we have a roster full of 3 stars?

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
You hit the nail on the head, brother. People this offensive line while not being great WAS NOT the problem last night. Yes, they got some pressure but QB's don't get 6-8 seconds to throw the ball these days in football. Other than the stupid 4th down when Mac did what you NEVER do and take points off the board, we were getting 5, 6 and 8 yards when running the ball, and NO I'm not saying we need to be a run first or run only team but damnit take a few more runs to set up some play action, see Bama,....BTW kudos to the offensive line for winning the 4th quarter decisively despite Nuss's best attempt to f vck even that up.
Yea, consistently 5+ yards per carry... Which is why our game avg was 3.7 with sacks not being a factor at all.

Math and accuracy really isn't your strong suit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.