Patch up the Oline and we are fine

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
When jay isn't pumping, it's time to step back and admit there's problems.

Mac said post game that there was no intensity or hustle from the OL. He said guys have to motor up to the line and get set so the offense can run more plays. Furthermore, they are not nearly good enough at the moment to phone it in. Anyone can make them look like fools if they play that flat again. Is this on Summers or is the glaring black hole our talent has fallen into at this position just too deep for anyone to do much with?

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Yes, facts normally convince me :lol:
You have no facts to back that up. You're just shooting off at the mouth.

I've just watched the first half and there were 2 plays where DelRio had pressure. And the 4 and 1 play where Mac took points off the board where Ivey missed a block while pulling. Meanwhile DelRio had 5 miserable throws. 1 to Thompson at his shoelaces. 1 behind Thompson at the 5. One late across the middle to Fulwood. And 2 more in the dirt to Callaway and Hammond.

Terrible penalties on defense and crappy throws by DelRio are why this game was close in the first half.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
You have no facts to back that up. You're just shooting off at the mouth.

I've just watched the first half and there were 2 plays where DelRio had pressure. And the 4 and 1 play where Mac took points off the board where Ivey missed a block while pulling. Meanwhile DelRio had 5 miserable throws. 1 to Thompson at his shoelaces. 1 behind Thompson at the 5. One late across the middle to Fulwood. And 2 more in the dirt to Callaway and Hammond.

Terrible penalties on defense and crappy throws by DelRio are why this game was close in the first half.

Erroneous. Our whole OL was trash last night, everybody and their mom knows that (read any game recap you can find).

As for LDR, the pass to Fulwood (if we are talking about the same play) was on The receiver for not coming back to the ball. This is why he hasn't flourished, he's pretty soft and doesn't fight for the ball.

The pass to Thompson on the 5 looked to me to be a back shoulder pass since the defender was closing in. It was a tad low, however it was not a miserable pass IMO.

Overall, I think LDR was fine and EVERY QB has a few bad passes every game.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
I know you're being sarcastic in some of that Jay. But I'm convinced you've never played football. Not even pop-warner. Your entire football knowledge comes from playing video games and sitting in that armchair every weekend.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I know you're being sarcastic in some of that Jay. But I'm convinced you've never played football. Not even pop-warner. Your entire football knowledge comes from playing video games and sitting in that armchair every weekend.

:lol: where did that come from? I've said this before that I played baseball thru college, so you'd be correct (though I did play Pop Warner ;)), however I'm not sure which part of my assessment was wrong.

Literally everybody agrees that our line sucked last night, why are you fighting this? It's the #1 reason we struggled last night, and other than that group I think we are fine as a team.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Your go to line. Dude, give it up.

The line was total shyt as always. I don't even care anymore. I'm well into the acceptance phase .

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Yea, consistently 5+ yards per carry... Which is why our game avg was 3.7 with sacks not being a factor at all.

Math and accuracy really isn't your strong suit.
That average probably would have been much higher had we beat on their defensive line 20-30 percent more of the time, they would have cracked like they were starting to much earlier....BTW what was our average on the 2 yard pass plays we ran 50% of the time, once you factor in incompletions and sack yardage? What was Scarlett's average? Sure seemed like he got 6-8 yards everytime he touched the ball.....Probably would have helped if the coaches had stuck with 2 backs so they could get into the groove too...The effects of a solid ground game tend to expand as the game wears on......

Last edited:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Since Mac's opener against New Mexico State last year this team has yet to score 40 points in a game.

We averaged 23.2 in the SEC last year. Scored 24 in this year's opener. Isn't Mac supposed to be some kind of offensive guru? I may have to start a thread on the topic. It deserves one.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Since Mac's opener against New Mexico State last year this team has yet to score 40 points in a game.

We averaged 23.2 in the SEC last year. Scored 24 in this year's opener. Isn't Mac supposed to be some kind of offensive guru? I may have to start a thread on the topic. It deserves one.

We don't have the OL right now for that kind of production. Not giving up hope that we can figure it out, but until then, expect the same

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
When we drop 35 or so on UsucK, hope will abound. UMass might actually be better this season.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Back to the thread topic: I've been a bit of a Stanford fan since Horseface was there, so I watch them whenever I can. I like Shaw, I like his offense and I think we're watching a generational talent in Christian McCaffrey. So I watched their opener against K-State Friday night.

So here's a question: given that squad is a bunch of friggin eggheads, that they're on the west coast playing in an inferior conference with a much lower profile than ours - how is it that they've become something of an "OLU"? They recruit better than we do on OL most years, and they accomplish far more on the OL on the field than we do.

I don't have an answer, but I suspect it comes down to attitude and "team DNA". I suspect that Shaw and his entire staff make their OL a priority - and that demonstrates itself on the recruiting trail and on the field. It's just who they are. We need an attitude adjustment like that (and I submit Bammer has the same attitude on both sides of the LOS - just look at their friggin DL). What is our "team DNA"? I could easily answer that for you during SOS's years, and CUM's. And though the answer was bad, there was one for Muschimp. What is ours now? Former DBU??

Point is, if Stanford can recruit and develop offensive linemen, then we surely can and it should be FAR EASIER for us. We need to develop that attitude program-wide.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Last night was abysmal. If we look like that again next week, he better start axing some people.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Your go to line. Dude, give it up.

The line was total shyt as always. I don't even care anymore. I'm well into the acceptance phase .
I'm beginning to enter the acceptance phase. The acceptance that these coaches arent very good. From Mac mailing it in after he won the East last year and deciding to stick with Treon, to the bad recruiting and now taking a home opener and deciding to treat it like a scrimmage.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I don't want to say we are overreacting because last night was certainly alarming. However, I truly think we have POTENTIAL to be really good. Just need to get the big uglies going and we will be fine IMO.

I'm comfortable with our defense with Tabor back (depth is concerning of course) and all of our skill players on O. Special teams is looking really good too.

Next week will be more telling, even with UK being fairly bad, they're still better than UMass and our guys should be a little more amped up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.