Penn State's Facilities

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Actually, saying this "is" an arms race is an understatement, saying it isn't is a flat out lie.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
While it remains to be seen what aspects of the project are actually adopted some interesting suggested concepts include.
  • Multifunctional lockers
  • Digital nameplates
  • Helmet display within the locker
  • Multi-tiered lighting controls.
  • A video wall
  • An "Experience room" that is an immersive digital experience that engulfs a recruit into a first person view of gameday.
  • "The player found should showcase current NFL players via an series of iPad displays. The design also shows two sets of video screens for television and gaming. There included in the design recognition of those who have gone onto the NFL hall of fame with a a series of bronze busts.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We are completely asleep at the wheel regarding having a state-of-the-art facility for a big-time program such as ours. To be the only facility in the SEC without an indoor practice facility is absolutely ridiculous.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think the facilities will eventually be upgraded. Aren't planning a indoor practice facility?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;131952 said:
I think the facilities will eventually be upgraded. Aren't planning a indoor practice facility?

That's the rumor.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n131954 said:
That's the rumor.

I thought they already had the money raised and plans drawn out?

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't we just have a big upgrade in the not so distant past? It's not something that can be done every couple of years. And I'm not talking about an IPF...I know how everyone feels about that. But it's not like the facilities we have are complete dumps.

HogtownGator

It's Great to be a CCW
Aug 8, 2014
Penn State football hasn't exactly been in a position to make upgrades to football facilities -- tearing down the Joe Pa statuary was the last great improvement. When your assistant coach his convicted of diddling boys, you might need $7.7M in re-branding efforts. Florida is not in the sh!tter with Penn State, and I can't even stand the idea of drawing a comparison.
Of course they say the HC is asking for the upgrades. It's just about facilities, nothing else to see here. They aren't going to say the truth -- they need big $$ to move past the greatest public relations disaster in the history of college football.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Gee it seems like we just made massive improvements at the swamp to improve the customer's experience. A couple of years ago we upgraded the players area. An indoor practice facility is out for bids. Seems like we are investing in the right things, not pissing money in the wind.

HogtownGator

It's Great to be a CCW
Aug 8, 2014
Swamp Queen;n131964 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't we just have a big upgrade in the not so distant past? It's not something that can be done every couple of years. And I'm not talking about an IPF...I know how everyone feels about that. But it's not like the facilities we have are complete dumps.

Yes! Lots of upgrades to the stadium. I am really start to think that the whole meme that "Florida's facilities are bad" is simply because we are getting an indoor practice facility. People expect Florida to already have that.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Swamp Queen;n131964 said:

Yes, scoreboards, stadium upgrades, O'Connell Center upgrades, we've maxed-out the possibilities of suites on the west side of the stadium, and there's an IPF coming. The Heavener Complex is beautiful, classy and fan-friendly. Apparently the housing needs to be upgraded because it's not as nice as Auburn's. :thumbup:

This facilities junk is so overblown and it's taken on a life of its own. These sort of false narratives actually get started by rival schools. It reminds me of Gator fans and jorts. Gator fans are actually probably the least likely of any SEC fan to wear a pair of jorts. Or remember when Meyer was here, for a few years the narrative was we were losing WR recruits because spread WR's couldn't make it in the NFL. It was a ridiculous notion but anti-UF fans ran with it, and before long, even Gator fans were yelling about the spread offense and not landing WR recruits. Same thing with the facilities. UF has gorgeous facilities, and every time you look up, we're adding something or renovating something. But because somebody said something about facilities, now even some Gator fans think we've become Sante Fe Community College in terms of facilities. It'll blow over, like the WR's from the spread can't play in the NFL bunk.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
I was thinking of facilities and was reminded that we don't just have a football team. The O'Dome is getting a massive upgrade and most of the women's teams need good facilities as well. The baseball team could use an expansion according to some. We can't have state of the art facilities everywhere, and we don't need them either.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
HogtownGator;n131967 said:
Penn State football hasn't exactly been in a position to make upgrades to football facilities -- tearing down the Joe Pa statuary was the last great improvement. When your assistant coach his convicted of diddling boys, you might need $7.7M in re-branding efforts. Florida is not in the sh!tter with Penn State, and I can't even stand the idea of drawing a comparison.
Of course they say the HC is asking for the upgrades. It's just about facilities, nothing else to see here. They aren't going to say the truth -- they need big $$ to move past the greatest public relations disaster in the history of college football.

10th rated class according to Rivals. Yeah, that rebrand is needed.

ChattanooGATOR

Swollen Member
Aug 30, 2014
Law98gator;n131939 said:
While it remains to be seen what aspects of the project are actually adopted some interesting suggested concepts include.
  • Multifunctional lockers
  • Digital nameplates
  • Helmet display within the locker
  • Multi-tiered lighting controls.
  • A video wall
  • An "Experience room" that is an immersive digital experience that engulfs a recruit into a first person view of gameday.
  • "The player found should showcase current NFL players via an series of iPad displays. The design also shows two sets of video screens for television and gaming. There included in the design recognition of those who have gone onto the NFL hall of fame with a a series of bronze busts.

While I find those suggestions fascinating, I am surprised that single shower stalls didn't make the cut.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
VulcanAlex;n131972 said:
Seems like we are investing in the right things, not pissing money in the wind.
Evidently you aren't familiar with the details of Muschamp's buyout.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n131984 said:
Evidently you aren't familiar with the details of Muschamp's buyout.

But we're discussing how third-world our facilities are, not how awful our AD is, but I guess they're both related.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Well, we've heard a lot more about our lack of facilities over the last 5 years than we ever have before, that's for sure. It didn't use to be that important, but it's obviously become a huge selling point to recruits. You have to adapt. UF should be first-class all the way, anyway. Never understood some of the nickel-and-diming.

By the way, I was told a single booster paid ALL of Muschamp's buyout. There are some extremely wealthy donors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.