Poll: Is dubster right when he says "Chump > Mac?"

Dubs says "chump>mac". Is he right?

• Yes

• No

• Inmates are running the asylum eating ham sammiches

Results are only viewable after voting.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
Thanks NCO. I still have a lot of hope for Mac. I will throw out two small lifelines to Dubs::

1.Variation of my first post - From 2005 to today, Florida has had 3 head coaches. Mac has more losses to Tennessee than the other two combined. He more than used up his allotted losses in year two.

2. Also note that Muschamp had four full seasons to screw things up that badly! :stirpot:
Not to mention that Muschump had as many losses to UGLY than the last 5 Coaches combined.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
IMHO, there is an ongoing blind-foresight on GC and that is the gullbull assumption that
Mac will not learn new ways as he crafts with the superb clay that Florida will supply as
Mac's work goes on. ??

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
IMHO, there is an ongoing blind-foresight on GC and that is the gullbull assumption that
Mac will not learn new ways as he crafts with the superb clay that Florida will supply as
Mac's work goes on. ??

Surely he can learn on the job rog. I think people around here just think UF shouldn't be hiring head coaches that still have HC lessons to learn. They expect every HC UF ever hires better be an elite level coach already. Cause, you know, we're UF dammit! We ain't got time for no rookie to build a program, we want instant championships! Cause we're spoiled and that's what we deserve!

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Surely he can learn on the job rog. I think people around here just think UF shouldn't be hiring head coaches that still have HC lessons to learn. They expect every HC UF ever hires better be an elite level coach already. Cause, you know, we're UF dammit! We ain't got time for no rookie to build a program, we want instant championships! Cause we're spoiled and that's what we deserve!
I just want a top 25 offense and to be able to recruit our own fuggin state well. Is that too much to ask from the flagship university of the richest recruiting state in the country?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

I'd just like Gator fans to be un-harrassed at having an open mind as this guy advances in HC lessons while
winning 10 or more per season with probably 2 straight SEC CG achievements ? Where do we go from here ?... to
SEC CG #3, #4. ? What HC do you want to sweep in and save us from this coach Mac ?

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
I get what you're saying but the Zook and Muschamp hires proved to be a disaster. Now I'm not going to get into any philosophy of what could justify those hires; suffice it to say that they were just failures. The main argument is that they had no head-coaching experience and therefore lacked the experience and knowledge of how to manage a team. A head coach must be more than an X and O's mind; he must understand how to manage a staff and implement his philosophy, while at the same time selling his brand to recruits. Now Zook followed Spurrier, and Muschamp followed Meyer. Draw from that what you will, but McElwain followed Muschamp and what might be considered the worst run in modern UF history. Now McElwain has a project, and he does have head coaching experience; he worked with some successful coaches. However, at an elite level (like the sec), it appears that he might be lost at times in his responsibilities as a head coach. This has been demonstrated with his his questionable hiring of coaches and their inability to recruit-- particularly offensive and defensive lineman. This trend has to change; we just simply can't afford a drop off in talent at these positions. Most fans understand this, and surely the coaches do as well. But it's one thing to know and another to do. Recruiting MUST pick up, or Mac is going to pack up. It's as simple as that.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
What HC do you want to sweep in and save us from this coach Mac ?

That's just it, everyone I've seen talk about elite coaches, all agree there's only 2. Saban and Meyer. So what's the point in going after a tier 2 guy? You're still not going to get past those two elite coaches, right? So, you really have 2 choices. You get a tier 2 guy and accept you're always going to be tier 2. Or you go out and get yourself a young guy that looks like he has potential and you hope he's the next elite coach. Seems we're trying the latter, and I don't think it's a bad idea. Mac's gonna take some lumps in recruiting until he shows UF can be a championship team with the right pieces in place. To me, and yes, of course I'm biased, but I feel like I'm seeing what Mac wants to do, and I feel like I'm seeing what this offense could be with a couple more of the right pieces in place. Recruits are going to see that too. I made a comment in another thread that UT is in melt down mode and I think Mac and Co needs to get hot on those UT commits to see if they can't take advantage of the situation. Coaching in the SEC is a cut throat business. You either do the cutting, or you get cut. I like Mac. I don't want him to get cut, so I'm hoping he starts figuring some things out before it's too late for him.

dubster1

Chip Kelly is a done deal
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2014
at an elite level (like the sec), it appears that he might be lost at times in his responsibilities as a head coach. This has been demonstrated with his his questionable hiring of coaches and their inability to recruit
money!:clap:

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
I like Dubs and his posts but I think he's off the mark on this one.

At the risk of being called a waffler or someone who flip flops, I'm thinking about changing my above stated position in light of today's performance. Hey, if Hillary can have a public and private position about every issue, I should be allowed a mulligan every now and then, right?

Last edited:

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
I'd just like Gator fans to be un-harrassed at having an open mind as this guy advances in HC lessons while
winning 10 or more per season with probably 2 straight SEC CG achievements ? Where do we go from here ?... to
SEC CG #3, #4. ? What HC do you want to sweep in and save us from this coach Mac ?

Well barring another Tennessee loss, we probably won't win the East this year. Beating LSU on the road is going to be very difficult.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.