Poll: WHEN will our starting quarterback be announced?

This is less about the WHO, but rather the WHEN. What do we think - is it better to have a starting

• This week

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Week before kickoff

• Gameday

• Coach will forget b/c he's too busy eating a Ham Sammich

• Total voters

QueenCityGator

University of Florida Alumnus
Aug 12, 2014
This is less about the WHO, but rather the WHEN. What do we think - is it better to have a starting quarterback as soon as possible, or should we wait until the last possible moment (after all practices) to make this announcement? Wouldn't the team prefer to know who will be their offensive leader?
I'd like to hear our starting QB announced the week before. It will give fans, but most importantly the team, some time to rally around the new starter.

Name and town if you wish to opine. No name + No town = No opining.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Starter will be named as soon as classes start back up. No name + no town = :moon3:

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Probably not until game three, maybe not then since two QBs are a possibility.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
:headshake:

Amateurish. Is this your first poll? There is no option for after the first game.

I don't think the anyone needs to rally around the QB. The QB (whoever it is) needs to do their job, executing the offense and avoiding turnovers, and we'll be fine.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I think it will be a named starter, but "both will play". Mac's got some coach speak going. If some of the media reports (Not Dooley or Andreu) are spot on it'll be Grier. Mac sure does emphasize how TH moves the 2's really well and talks about the INT's. Just picking up on what he's saying.

joeblow

Banned
Banned
Aug 12, 2015
Does it really matter, when you're playing New Mexico State, if a starter is named? I don't know what you can learn from playing a team like that, though. I do thinkMcElwain needs to pick one before East Carolina, because East Carolina can beat Florida.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
joeblow;n264283 said:
Does it really matter, when you're playing New Mexico State, if a starter is named? I don't know what you can learn from playing a team like that, though. I do thinkMcElwain needs to pick one before East Carolina, because East Carolina can beat Florida.

:noles:

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He won't pick a starter at QB until after he sees how they both react under the bright lights of the Swamp in the first game.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
After KY. Until then both QB's will see the field a lot. KY will be the first taste of SEC ball for Grier, I expect both will be given either quarters or x amount of series to move the team. From reports Grier is having a hard time in the redzone, so KY will be the game to show he can do it live action, to be named the starter for the season.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
CaribGator;264299 said:
After KY. Until then both QB's will see the field a lot. KY will be the first taste of SEC ball for Grier, I expect both will be given either quarters or x amount of series to move the team. From reports Grier is having a hard time in the redzone, so KY will be the game to show he can do it live action, to be named the starter for the season.

I saw some video on Gatorzone on the second scrimmage. Limited video. But Harris looks really good in the RZ. They are both still splitting all reps.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Despite the QB-person that starts, how good would it be if we had a different "1st string worthy" QB to come in
when the opposing D is more vulnerable to Harris' talents ? I think Mac has 2 QBs that can beat most of our
opponents -- not 2 QBs one of which is so much lesser than the other.

That situation is a strong likelihood. So then we'll keep 2 QBs happy with playing for UF… and what an inviting
Mac QB-philosophy to greatly lessen QB recruits' negativity about coming to UF after we've signed a 5* QB. The
QB competition-playing dream is more open in recruits' thinking/planning. ??

Remember how Treon got thrown in vs UT with so little time or chances to make it work & he, with his rallying teammates
pulled a win out of the hat ? How much better will that workability be when we (teammates) practice it & expect it ?

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
rogdochar;n264341 said:
Despite the QB-person that starts, how good would it be if we had a different "1st string worthy" QB to come in
when the opposing D is more vulnerable to Harris' talents ? I think Mac has 2 QBs that can beat most of our

That situation is a strong likelihood. So then we'll keep 2 QBs happy with playing for UF… and what an inviting
Mac QB-philosophy to greatly lessen QB recruits' negativity about coming to UF after we've signed a 5* QB. The

Remember how Treon got thrown in vs UT with so little time or chances to make it work & he, with his rallying teammates
pulled a win out of the hat ? How much better will that workability be when we (teammates) practice it & expect it ?

Your wordsmithery remains breathtaking....

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
rogdochar;n264341 said:

Other than using one for wildcat or in goal-line or run situations (think Tebow's Freshman year) it hardly ever works to play 2 QB's. Having some packages for Treon plus letting him play in mop-up duty hopefully will be enough to keep him patient. If Grier is good enough he will probably be 2 and done letting Harris step in as a senior starter. But honestly, if Treon wants to take a shot at the NFL he will probably have to change position eventually. I wonder if he can catch?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Hell, Spurrier pulled out a win against a very competitive FSU, alternating QBs and one of them was low-talented, low
experienced Noah Brandeis. Both our QBs are much higher in talent. Of course I hope Grier tears it up vs SEC rushers.
But Treon may have to be in the mix routinely while Mac & crew instruct "rookie" Grier on the sidelines. ??

Treon had an injured shoulder just at the games he could have made improvement strides on. I like having Grier
making his mark as a top SEC QB, but no-one's seen him under fire where wrong decision-actions can be made.
Treon should not be in there to try to do what Tre Burton did. Treon is a better weapon than that and his teammates
will play harder for him at a craftier offense. Gators should "let 'em have it" with both barrels … work 'em silly, Mac.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
rogdochar;n264341 said:

Huh?

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I'm opining that both will play in the first game- Grier will start (name and town below):

key_peele_east_west_640x360.jpg

Da U

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
joeblow;n264283 said:
I do thinkMcElwain needs to pick one before East Carolina, because East Carolina can beat Florida.
No they can't. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator