Poll: WHEN will our starting quarterback be announced?

This is less about the WHO, but rather the WHEN. What do we think - is it better to have a starting

• This week

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Week before kickoff

• Gameday

• Coach will forget b/c he's too busy eating a Ham Sammich

• Total voters

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
There's as many as a half dozen reasons why McElwain hasn't named a starter, all of them legit and further reason to think this guy is one smart dude. I'll take an uninformed stab at them.

1) There's not enough separation between Grier and Harris because Grier struggles in the red zone and Harris, on the other hand, simply doesn't fit the mold of the kind of guy McElwain is likely to commit to longterm.
2) But make no mistake, Harris will get on the field this season because he can run and because it makes defenses think twice. In a year where we're thin on OL, that's a critical factor.
3) The appearance of open competition pushes both athletes to be the best they can, and there's plenty of room for improvement.
4) For reasons of injury and otherwise, you need two serviceable quarterbacks going into a season.
5) Winning over the lockerroom remains one of McElwain's top priorities, as well it should. Harris was the guy before Grier, and because there's little separation, McElwain doesn't want to be in the position of appearing to play favorites, and esp if there's any inkling that it could lead to (yes, I'm about to say it) racial tension on the roster.
6) It's flipping New Mexico State. Why not?

It makes perfect sense that McElwain's handled it this way. As a matter of fact, I'd question it if he had already committed to one of the two. Kudos, Coach.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I would have him clarify that "Florida" bit,, is it Florida State or the University of Florida? Saying just Florida doesn't cut in that clown's case

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
Maybe joeblow is the ass-hat from the old board. He probably graduated in a clown suit from the "university of florida state."

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n264767 said:
I figured it was obvious to the point that I didn't have to spell it out: Will Muschamp is no longer the head coach.

As for you, acting like a know-it-all pretentious jerk in every post isn't going to make you any friends on a fan message board, especially with your random potshots towards the team you supposedly root for.

You cannot really believe this guy is a gator?

I really don't like this troll and have quit reading most all of his page long rambling. He is a troll and he just lied about it. As much as I hate this asshat I could at least tolerate him a little if he just admitted who he really rooted for. Considering his being an fsu and jameis apologist my money is on the clown school.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Alagator;n264976 said:
I really don't like this troll and have quit reading most all of his page long rambling. He is a troll and he just lied about it. As much as I hate this asshat I could at least tolerate him a little if he just admitted who he really rooted for. Considering his being an fsu and jameis apologist my money is on the clown school.
Yes, but Avatard, Fever, and, oddly, 78 are all Rapeis apologists also.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Mac will never name a starter. He will just keep switching the two during the game.

joeblow

Banned
Banned
Aug 12, 2015
VulcanAlex;n264848 said:
Well I can and will give you some reasons:

A new and improved coaching staff including some who might call some plays that are not expected.

Two QB's who are competing for the starting job.

A new attitude that focuses on getting better and actual improvement coaching rather than yelling and overly emotional responses.

Some new talent arriving, some getting better coaching, better process, etc.

Seems like Ox has said many of these things at one time or another.

No we can't just go on past performance, since given the changes it is almost irrelevant. As you say time will tell. I expect us to blow out our first opponent, play at least the second string and maybe third. They are paid to take a smack down and I bet our current staff knows to deliver one. Time will tell.

What you list is nothing new. The same was said and heard last year.

1) New and improved coaching staff-Roper and Summers​
2) New play calling-UF called a lot of new plays, including a vertical passing game with receivers getting open with regularity behind Alabama's secondary etc.
3) 4th year Junior QB who was "finally" going to have an offensive "system" perfect for him.
4) A new environment with players like Robinson saying the new offense is perfect and confidence to the point of being cocky enough to proclaim Driskel the best quarterback in America.
5) New talent. UF had a recruiting class in 2014 that was much higher rated than the 2015 class, as for the coaching being better, all we have are hopes, no actual evidence of that being true.

No my friend, there's nothing new here, and the same things are being said everywhere there is a new coach. Everything has changed, the enthusiasm and confidence is over the top, the players are finally going to have good coaching, etc. UF slammed their paid lamb 65-0 last year to open the season and the feeling was almost universal that things had changed. Then reality set in a week later against Kentucky. I hope UF is great this year, but I'm not going to get excited over the things you've listed because I've heard that record before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.