Pool/Fence Build Thread

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0500-0599/0515/0515.htm

Did your contractor provide these statutes to you? Is your plan to allow the back corners of your home to act as a portion of the pool safety barrier? If so there are a couple of options (emergency sounding devices) for doors, windows and other means of access.
Then there's this
(2) A person who fails to equip a new residential swimming pool with at least one pool safety feature as required in subsection (1) commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083, except that no penalty shall be imposed if the person, within 45 days after arrest or issuance of a summons or a notice to appear, has equipped the pool with at least one safety feature as required in subsection (1) and has attended a drowning prevention education program established by s. 515.31. However, the requirement of attending a drowning prevention education program is waived if such program is not offered within 45 days after issuance of the citation.
History.—s. 1, ch. 2000-143; s. 14, ch. 2016-129.
I'm assuming you haven't gotten a final inspection yet as the requirements by the state would also meet your insurers requirements.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0500-0599/0515/0515.htm

Did your contractor provide these statutes to you? Is your plan to allow the back corners of your home to act as a portion of the pool safety barrier? If so there are a couple of options (emergency sounding devices) for doors, windows and other means of access.
Then there's this
(2) A person who fails to equip a new residential swimming pool with at least one pool safety feature as required in subsection (1) commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083, except that no penalty shall be imposed if the person, within 45 days after arrest or issuance of a summons or a notice to appear, has equipped the pool with at least one safety feature as required in subsection (1) and has attended a drowning prevention education program established by s. 515.31. However, the requirement of attending a drowning prevention education program is waived if such program is not offered within 45 days after issuance of the citation.
History.—s. 1, ch. 2000-143; s. 14, ch. 2016-129.
I'm assuming you haven't gotten a final inspection yet as the requirements by the state would also meet your insurers requirements.

Like I already posted... we passed final inspection months ago.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Like I already posted... we passed final inspection months ago.
My whole point was the state statutes aren't any more stringent than what your insurer is requiring so if you've passed your final inspection then you should't have any surprises.
By the way your wetbar looks great. Costs aside I agree with your decision to keep the grill mobile rather than doing a drop-in. Even if you install a commercial hood with high CFM's it would be ineffective because the space is open to the outside.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My whole point was the state statutes aren't any more stringent than what your insurer is requiring so if you've passed your final inspection then you should't have any surprises.
By the way your wetbar looks great. Costs aside I agree with your decision to keep the grill mobile rather than doing a drop-in. Even if you install a commercial hood with high CFM's it would be ineffective because the space is open to the outside.

Thanks on the wetbar.

And I agree with you on the fence. Unfortunately, my current and 2 other major carriers dont. I either bolt the current fence system to the deck or build a "permanent" fence enclosing the pool.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Beautiful finished project Brad!

I know the family, especially the kids, will really enjoy it for years to come. You did a great job!

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
After much debate.... I will install a 450ft run of new fence (like the picture in a few posts above: 4 board black with wire mesh). And then apply the same wire mesh along all the existing fence line. And replace all existing gates with ones that have wire mesh welded in. So the pool area will be 100% enclosed from within my property. I have it in writing from my current insurance that this is acceptable. I cant wait to complete the project and then cancel on them fukers.

I decided to do it myself because fence builders have a mighty fine opinion of what their labor is worth. All fence material (posts, boards, wire mesh) is being delivered to my house for $1800. The 3 gates are about $100 a piece and really easy to install. I am having a professional painter come in afterwards to paint all new fence and repaint all existing fence for $600. He has a huge truck with a massive tank and a massive spray nozzle and he just drives beside it and sprays paint as he goes.

The cheapest of 5 bids for the entire project was $5500. The most expensive was $8000. I actually laughed out loud on that guy because I already had the materials priced out (roughly $2250).

56 post holes will be the only real manual labor part.

fence.jpg

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Welp, Brad's about to disappear for a while :lol:

No kidding. Actually, this wont be too bad as I cant really do the fence build until the end of February. In the mean time, I can get the wire mesh up on the existing fence. Start switching out some gates. And maybe dig a few post holes each weekend.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
No kidding. Actually, this wont be too bad as I cant really do the fence build until the end of February. In the mean time, I can get the wire mesh up on the existing fence. Start switching out some gates. And maybe dig a few post holes each weekend.

You might consider checking one of the local tool rental shops in your area about the rates for a power auger. I only had 300' of fence to install but it sure saved me loads of time & back pain.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You might consider checking one of the local tool rental shops in your area about the rates for a power auger. I only had 300' of fence to install but it sure saved me loads of time & back pain.

Yeah, my friends who are coming to help said the exact same thing. Im on pure sugar sand. So honestly, once you cut through the 6 inches of bahia grass roots.... it cuts like butter. I've got over 2 months to dig them, so I just look at it as free exercise and a reason to be outside away from estrogen.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, my friends who are coming to help said the exact same thing. Im on pure sugar sand. So honestly, once you cut through the 6 inches of bahia grass roots.... it cuts like butter. I've got over 2 months to dig them, so I just look at it as free exercise and a reason to be outside away from estrogen.
:lol:

I'm the lone male in my brood, so I understand the feeling!

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Is the new fence going to cross the paved area (the patio) between the the pool and the house?

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Is the new fence going to cross the paved area (the patio) between the the pool and the house?

No, because it starts and ends on the sides if the house. But there is a walkway that runs from the pool deck to the driveway. A 4ft gate will cross that walkway. It will have self closing hinges and an automatic latch with the stupid 56in top release. Climbing over the fence will probably be easier and faster, but I dont make the rules.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
No, because it starts and ends on the sides if the house. But there is a walkway that runs from the pool deck to the driveway. A 4ft gate will cross that walkway. It will have self closing hinges and an automatic latch with the stupid 56in top release. Climbing over the fence will probably be easier and faster, but I dont make the rules.
So do you have to put alarms on the windows and doors?

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So do you have to put alarms on the windows and doors?

Yes, and we already did that for final county inspection because even the mesh babygate enclosed some windows and doors. Thankfully, the inspector thought our current wired security system chimes were adequate.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

One of my friends who is coming has whined non-stop about these post holes. So I looked into it.... $50 an hour to rent one here. I told him, "You rent it you big pussy, I dont need that death contraption." You know what that clown does... he found one for sale for $200 and is having it shipped to my house. I just cant justify spending money on something I will probably use for one project. Luckily... he doesnt have that same issue! :lol:

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
One of my friends who is coming has whined non-stop about these post holes. So I looked into it.... $50 an hour to rent one here. I told him, "You rent it you big pussy, I dont need that death contraption." You know what that clown does... he found one for sale for $200 and is having it shipped to my house. I just cant justify spending money on something I will probably use for one project. Luckily... he doesnt have that same issue! :lol:
You can probably resell it after you're done for $150. Save your time and your back. Work smart my friend.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That's a steep rate, unless they quoted you the giant unit. You even could use a handheld 2-person one. I recall paying about $50/day for the one I used & it was on wheels for 1 person use. Hmmm, maybe you should open a tool rental shop on the side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.