Pool/Fence Build Thread

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Oh, so like the whole thing lit up at night. I've got some palms going in Saturday and am going to up spotlights installed under them. And then we are hanging some pretty neat stringed lights. I'll post something when all that is done.

I just had 7 tons of river stone and 2500 pounds of flagstone delivered this morning. I'll be busy this weekend.
Nice, we got LEDs installed in our screen to give us adjustable light. They almost look like stars. Gotta have lights for the night time parties. That stone will be nice. :)

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Almost finished with our outdoor entertainment area. Not fair to call it a kitchen, as I did not do a drop in grill. I just need to do some touchup painting. Still undecided on a backsplash. It would be a royal PIA to install one.

Before:
IMG_1653.jpg

After:
IMG_1724.jpg

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Almost finished with our outdoor entertainment area. Not fair to call it a kitchen, as I did not do a drop in grill. I just need to do some touchup painting. Still undecided on a backsplash. It would be a royal PIA to install one.

Before:
IMG_1653.jpg

After:
IMG_1724.jpg
post-65000-borat-its-nice-gif-imgur-noice-keHW.gif

From a real estate standpoint, would that just list as an "built-in outdoor wet bar"?

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Are those just 2 storage cabinets on either side of the fridge?

Was that a gas bib on the wall before?

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Are those just 2 storage cabinets on either side of the fridge?

Was that a gas bib on the wall before?

It is an LP stub out from a buried tank in the yard. So I can simply hook my gas grill directly to the wall.

Yes, basically 2 storage cabinets. Although the one on the left is more for plumbing and gas stub access. But I designed a nice shelving system for the right one.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I guess I never updated with some landscaping pics. I manually spread 7 tons of river stone (bucket by bucket) and laid down 3000 lbs of flagstone.

IMG_1583.jpg

IMG_1584.jpg

IMG_1587.jpg

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It is an LP stub out from a buried tank in the yard. So I can simply hook my gas grill directly to the wall.

Yes, basically 2 storage cabinets. Although the one on the left is more for plumbing and gas stub access. But I designed a nice shelving system for the right one.

Yeah, I'm with you on your earlier comment, but with the LP stub already there, why not drop a built in grill with that set up? Seems odd. Only thing I think of may be that it would have been really close to the house?

You should get Ox or Zambo to come over with their drones and get some Ariel photos.

Looks real nice, Brad.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, I'm with you on your earlier comment, but with the LP stub already there, why not drop a built in grill with that set up? Seems odd. Only thing I think of may be that it would have been really close to the house?

You should get Ox or Zambo to come over with their drones and get some Ariel photos.

Looks real nice, Brad.

Cool, thanks man.

I was expecting the built-in grill question. We talked about it a lot. The main reason we didnt do a drop-in/built-in grill is because it would be against code due to a lack of a hood (since it is an attached covered patio). An acceptable solution we be to install a down draft vent system. But the addition of those 2 things would have tripled the cost of the entire project. I visited every neighbor and friend who had a built-in grill to get their input, and was really turned off about getting one after hearing all their horror stories.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Cool, thanks man.

I was expecting the built-in grill question. We talked about it a lot. The main reason we didnt do a drop-in/built-in grill is because it would be against code due to a lack of a hood (since it is an attached covered patio). An acceptable solution we be to install a down draft vent system. But the addition of those 2 things would have tripled the cost of the entire project. I visited every neighbor and friend who had a built-in grill to get their input, and was really turned off about getting one after hearing all their horror stories.
pfft whatever, you got the money, you could have gotten the high dollar hood and had the set up with the drop in grill. You're just being cheap ;)

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
pfft whatever, you got the money, you could have gotten the high dollar hood and had the set up with the drop in grill. You're just being cheap ;)

Everyone has a budget. And there is also a point where it is simply doesnt make sense.

The one thing I learned from everyone on the drop in grills and hoods.... you cant go cheap if you want it to last. Especially in FL.
About the cheapest hood I could put in would be $2000. But really should go with $2500.
I would have to cut into the attic space and roof to vent it... and that is not something I would do myself. So how much would that labor be.... at least $500?
For the grill, I could go cheap and buy a $1000 model and know there will be serious issues in a couple of years. You really need to jumping to at least $2000 range for decent one.
And I would need a backsplash behind the grill, which wouldnt be too expensive. Maybe $50 for a stainless steal one and a stone surround for another $50.
So... It would be at least a $5000 upgrade for something I would want installed.

Or.... I could simply use my rolling grill literally 1 foot away.

And honestly, the wifey really only wanted countertop space and a sink. With me doing 100% of the work, that whole project cost less $1400.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Everyone has a budget. And there is also a point where it is simply doesnt make sense.

The one thing I learned from everyone on the drop in grills and hoods.... you cant go cheap if you want it to last. Especially in FL.
About the cheapest hood I could put in would be $2000. But really should go with $2500.
I would have to cut into the attic space and roof to vent it... and that is not something I would do myself. So how much would that labor be.... at least $500?
For the grill, I could go cheap and buy a $1000 model and know there will be serious issues in a couple of years. You really need to jumping to at least $2000 range for decent one.
And I would need a backsplash behind the grill, which wouldnt be too expensive. Maybe $50 for a stainless steal one and a stone surround for another $50.
So... It would be at least a $5000 upgrade for something I would want installed.

Or.... I could simply use my rolling grill literally 1 foot away.

And honestly, the wifey really only wanted countertop space and a sink. With me doing 100% of the work, that whole project cost less $1400.
Actually, doing it yourself is easier than you might think it is, you just have to learn some on the roofing side of it.

That said, you're right, it's pretty expensive even to do it yourself, but do it right with the right equipment/materials.
Not sure most people do the drop in grill under a roof the way yours is though. Most times you see the built ins offset from that under a different structure.
It probably is the smart move to refrain from the drop in there.

And actually, where you have the grill now, they are making some that look like built ins but are still movable. Could be an option for that other side where the grill sits now, if you can find a decent one like that, once the one you have goes out.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Actually, doing it yourself is easier than you might think it is, you just have to learn some on the roofing side of it.

That said, you're right, it's pretty expensive even to do it yourself, but do it right with the right equipment/materials.
Not sure most people do the drop in grill under a roof the way yours is though. Most times you see the built ins offset from that under a different structure.
It probably is the smart move to refrain from the drop in there.

And actually, where you have the grill now, they are making some that look like built ins but are still movable. Could be an option for that other side where the grill sits now, if you can find a decent one like that, once the one you have goes out.

Good points. Also... at some point in the future, we are doing pavilion structure. Endless options to design it with cooking in mind. I love the look of those built-in green eggs.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Good points. Also... at some point in the future, we are doing pavilion structure. Endless options to design it with cooking in mind. I love the look of those built-in green eggs.
Yup, that's an option too.
And since you already have the wetbar under roof, might be something you don't have to worry about running to the pavilion, one less thing to worry about I suppose :lol:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I'll stop by sometime and get you some great drone shots of your property.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So the latest drama is homeowners insurance, specifically the fence. Now, we verbally cleared this fence with Allstate prior to buying it AND the county approved it. Now, Allstate says is not "permanent" and is not acceptable. F them. Two other insurance companies.... same exact response. It's funny, I called the county and they said no fence is permanent and any fence can be moved at any time.

To fence the entire perimeter of the property would be over 1800 ft of fencing. That ain't happening.

So I guess plan c would be to fence off a smaller section of backyard. But do it in a way that is not retarded and looks all stupid. After walking the property for days, I think I have a solution. Nothing like spending money twice.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Have you called USAA? I'd be switching insurance companies.

Are you supposed to put up a permanent fence? Like a wood privacy fence? If so, I'd think that could be permitted.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Have you called USAA? I'd be switching insurance companies.

Are you supposed to put up a permanent fence? Like a wood privacy fence? If so, I'd think that could be permitted.

Trust me, I'm dropping Allstate. Mainly because I was told one thing, bought it, and now it's a problem. But like I mentioned, I've called 2 new companies and it's the same answer. The fence has to be 4 feet high (check), no gap bigger than 2 inches (check), and permanent (no-check). You can see in all my pics that my most of my yard is 4 board black horse fence. This would actually be an acceptable fence if I had 2x4 welded no climb wire installed with it. Like this:
black-rough-sawn-wire.jpg

So I'll install that wire on the existing fence and then enclose an area with new fence. It'll look nice, match all existing fence, would actually have to be done anyway if I were to ever raise horses/cows, and will not be terribly expensive... I just would have done it from the beginning.

Owell. At least I have a new quote that will drop my homeowners premium in half. So that's good.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Interesting side note after talking with our original fence installer (hoping he would buy the fence back). I can technical make my current fence permanent by screwing it to the concrete deck. Hmmmm. :scratchchin:

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Interesting side note after talking with our original fence installer (hoping he would buy the fence back). I can technical make my current fence permanent by screwing it to the concrete deck. Hmmmm. :scratchchin:
Run it by the insurance company first and get it in writing this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.