Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
lol...never mind, I thought you said she just had a baby

:lol:

I know.

She has a 16 and a 14 year old, and a 10 month old. They also have an amazing pool. They took our advice and put her in Infant Swim Rescue (ISR) when she turned 6 months, which is the earliest. Our girls also did that class at that age. If nobody has ever seen their videos, google it. The class just be required for every child in Florida. I get nauseous hearing about a kid drowning on the news.

Regardless, they rarely visit anyway.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Damn Brad, them boys are hauling ass on the build. Any reason why you don't want a screened enclosure? Ours is a necessity because of all the oak trees, but it would seem that would cut down on stuff finding it's way into the pool, leaves, grass, snakes and other animals will eventually get in and it may also solve any permitting or legal issues as I believe you have to be able to lock a pool to prevent access?

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Damn Brad, them boys are hauling ass on the build. Any reason why you don't want a screened enclosure? Ours is a necessity because of all the oak trees, but it would seem that would cut down on stuff finding it's way into the pool, leaves, grass, snakes and other animals will eventually get in and it may also solve any permitting or legal issues as I believe you have to be able to lock a pool to prevent access?

Good question and I expected someone to ask this. And you are correct, a screened enclosure would eliminate the need for a pool fence.

But #1 reason is we simply dont need one. Here is an aerial of part of my property:
Untitled.jpg

I dont have a tree within 150 feet of the pool. A screen enclosure would only provide us one service... and that would be bug control. And honestly, they are simply not that bad. I dont have a body of water within 1 mile of my house. Additionally, I have experience installing a DYI automatic bug spray system if I wanted to go down that road.

#2 We are building a huge concrete deck around the pool. The enclosure required would be between $20,000-$25,000.

#3 They are ugly and will destroy the beauty of this project. The pool deck will be nearly 2 feet above the surrounding pasture and will therefore almost have a zero edge effect.

#4 They require maintenance and cleaning and lower the pool temp by about 4 degrees.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Good question and I expected someone to ask this. And you are correct, a screened enclosure would eliminate the need for a pool fence.

But #1 reason is we simply dont need one. Here is an aerial of part of my property:
View attachment 3589

I dont have a tree within 150 feet of the pool. A screen enclosure would only provide us one service... and that would be bug control. And honestly, they are simply not that bad. I dont have a body of water within 1 mile of my house. Additionally, I have experience installing a DYI automatic bug spray system if I wanted to go down that road.

#2 We are building a huge concrete deck around the pool. The enclosure required would be between $20,000-$25,000.

#3 They are ugly and will destroy the beauty of this project. The pool deck will be nearly 2 feet above the surrounding pasture and will therefore almost have a zero edge effect.

#4 They require maintenance and cleaning and lower the pool temp by about 4 degrees.
Very nice property Brad. I wish we didn't have so many trees so close to our house and pool because they shade the pool quite a bit and it takes forever to warm up in springtime. They also dump a ton of pollen on the screen and harbor squirrels which constantly tear holes in it requiring repair. We are on a lake though and in the summertime the skeeters would literally carry you off without the enclosure.
Have you ever thought about building a detached garage/workshop? you certainly have the land space to do it.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Very nice property Brad. I wish we didn't have so many trees so close to our house and pool because they shade the pool quite a bit and it takes forever to warm up in springtime. They also dump a ton of pollen on the screen and harbor squirrels which constantly tear holes in it requiring repair. We are on a lake though and in the summertime the skeeters would literally carry you off without the enclosure.
Have you ever thought about building a detached garage/workshop? you certainly have the land space to do it.

Yes, of course. It was actually a hard decision of which to build first, because they are both about the same price. My kids are the perfect age for this pool though and so I wanted it to come first. But I already have a 1000 sqft detached garaged planned out with pull through bays (garage doors on each side).

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yes, of course. It was actually a hard decision of which to build first, because they are both about the same price. My kids are the perfect age for this pool though and so I wanted it to come first. But I already have a 1000 sqft detached garaged planned out with pull through bays (garage doors on each side).

You deserve an IPF.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
damn, did you purchase an air field?

rich bastid...

:lol: I wanted many acres. My wife wanted a neighborhood. This was the compromise. It is an equestrian neighborhood. We do live in Ocala. Our neighborhood is 125 acres big, with 23 lots/homesites. I did not really want this many acres of pasture, but the lot was in foreclosure. We have 10 century old oaks.... And I have planted roughly 50 other trees. So one day, it wont look so wide open.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
How close is the pool wall to the face of the exterior wall, specifically the room to the right of the patio looking from the pool to the house?

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
:lol: I wanted many acres. My wife wanted a neighborhood. This was the compromise. It is an equestrian neighborhood. We do live in Ocala. Our neighborhood is 125 acres big, with 23 lots/homesites. I did not really want this many acres of pasture, but the lot was in foreclosure. We have 10 century old oaks.... And I have planted roughly 50 other trees. So one day, it wont look so wide open.
You'll be sorry....I have many century old Live Oaks that this f vcked up city won't let me cut down.....Trees are a pain in the ass and they suck...especially if you're putting a pool in with no enclosure.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

View attachment 3589

Don't do a screen enclosure if you don't need one. I really did not want one but it was a necessity both for bugs and keeping the pool clean since the pool basically abuts woods.

BTW, that is an amazing piece of land you have, although I don't envy you having to mow it. :cool:

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Day 7, Tuesday.

Passed main drain/pool shell inspection.

Shotcrete pool shell is scheduled for Friday, backfill Saturday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator