Position Changes

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Obviously we need the depth at LB... so there's that.... And we NEED some bad ass every down LB's.... But given the situation of their obvious earlier fails in recruiting enough quality 'backers... and at 246 lbs, I'm wondering if they think he can be of help in run support and at least be a situational type player?
Knight apparently played LB in high school, so hopefully he's got some idea of what to do.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Which tells me these moves are probably just to balance out the roster for spring practice/game.....

Agree, but come fall we're going to need another veteran to play DT besides Clark & Bryan (our only two true DT's on the roster - besides true freshman).

There's a new roster posted and there are a few new weights listed, but only a few (I find that odd). And it still shows CeCe at 261 and Polite at 271. Those aren't DT's no matter how anyone wants to sugar coat it.

We need RDJ to STAY at DT in the fall, especially if he's not going to see OL snaps. And hopefully Riles or another OL.

There's too many OL's standing around doing nothing on the sidelines during games. There should have been an emergency OL-to-DT last year, but the staff was not prepared. Buchanan is another kid who played HS DT. He's looks like a good fit, at 6'2 301.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I know it's cool to harp on Mac, but these roster moves make total sense and don't reek of 'desperation'. You have RDJ who was 3rd string OL, he played DT in HS and can now be a 2nd string DT. Then you have Knight, who was 3rd or 4th string TE, he played LB in HS and can now be a 2nd string LB. Both instant upgrades for each player and provides needed depth at the positions they were moved to. Win-Win!

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I know it's cool to harp on Mac, but these roster moves make total sense and don't reek of 'desperation'. You have RDJ who was 3rd string OL, he played DT in HS and can now be a 2nd string DT. Then you have Knight, who was 3rd or 4th string TE, he played LB in HS and can now be a 2nd string LB. Both instant upgrades for each player and provides needed depth at the positions they were moved to. Win-Win!
My point is that our LB situation sucks, and the staff keeps striking out despite the dire need. While moving a TE who is never going to see the field does provide more bodies, it doesn't really do anything else. We have a TE who cant get on the field doing something he knows about (a route or blocking assignment), but now we want him to try to cover and tackle guys he can't beat out who know whats happening in the play while hes in reaction/adjust mode. If he logs any minutes in games, I doubt its going to result in a "win" for us. You still my boy though, Bart.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

D-J was a lower rated player that we "stole" from FIU (he only visited USF, FIU and UF). He was rated a 3-star DT coming out of HS. He was also a HS wrestler who did quite well. So he has the athleticism you want out of a DT. I hope to see him over 295 if he plays DT this fall, which I expect.This will be his 3rd college season, so I think he'll do fine at DT. Add in 315lb Riles and we have a solid top 4....then mix in a few downs from the freshman and we should be in good shape, barring injuries.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
We need RDJ to STAY at DT in the fall, especially if he's not going to see OL snaps. And hopefully Riles or another OL.
I agree and I wasn't thinking they would move him back to offense. I think he's probably been passed up by all the other OL on the roster anyway. At best though he will get garbage time reps during the season unless disaster strikes....which according to the DT depth chart is a distinct possibility.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Kid been fu*king off apparently! Mac said he's been here 2 yrs now and should know his assignments and he also said he needs to get in better shape.
Sad, because he played pretty well as a freshman. I guess he decided he had arrived and stop putting in the work.

You never really know whether or not kids are going to take the next step.

This is one of the reasons I laugh at people who ordain Greer the next Heisman bc he had one good game out of six. You never know if they are going to ever become consistent and if they will be able to make the next step.

Last edited:

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'm glad there is some new players, prove it to us coaches<slash>get after it recruiters and an OLine coach I hope can get our players to play his talk. Better things going on for us this summer than I thought would ever be happening a few months ago...
:cool:

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
There's too many OL's standing around doing nothing on the sidelines during games. There should have been an emergency OL-to-DT last year, but the staff was not prepared.

Was it last year, or the year before, that we didn't have enough OL for an O&B game? Oh, how things have changed.

But we dont yank schollies for subpar performance so oh well... thanks foley and fuchs!

You sure those are the right names to credit for that decision? I'd imagine Mac has some ownership there as well - and it wouldn't have to be yankin schollies when it can be a conversation of 'you will a get more playing time elsewhere'.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Was it last year, or the year before, that we didn't have enough OL for an O&B game? Oh, how things have changed.
If by changed, you mean that different position groups are now in crisis panic mode, then yes, how things have changed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.