Post Camp Position Grades by Thomas Goldkamp

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ said:
sonomagator;n31079 said:
There's a guy I've known for about 25 years who used to play both ways back in the 50's and 60's for the 49ers, he played O and D tackle, he still works for them , he's involved with scouting and evaluating both lines. What he's told me over the years is that one problem they have is that in HS they are so much bigger than everyone else that they don't learn proper techniques , and some HS coaches don't care as long as the big guys open up the holes in HS. Also that some of the smaller ones who do have the technical skills have trouble with the weight and strength gain. It's why conventional wisdom is that OLinemen should in a perfect world redshirt to learn what they need to know and get used to the speed etc. Unfortunately we haven't had that luxury for the last few years for one reason or another.and yeah J Humps a good example the kid should have red shirted but unfortunately we couldn't, Ii also think that Daz was over whelmed with being the line coach,OC and Qb coach so our line suffered from him through that guy valdacci or whatever that Cheeseburger brought with him and ending with Davis. Hopefully Summers can coach em up. Either or I'll take a B- over last year.

Great post Sonoma. I agree with every part of this post. Addazio was a great line coach and an average OC at best. Combining both allowed his lesser responsibility (O-line) to suffer. Then the revolving door at Oline coach: Addazio, Verducci, Davis - caused stunts in development. One reason that Bama has had great success is that they've had minimal changes in coaching. They had their first major change in coaching last year and they stuttered a bit as a team.
Gotta wonder what the changes this year will do to them, especially with their Qb situation. Heard Cocker went 3-17 in the last scrimmage, that pretty much cinches it for Simms who is not impressive.

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Either or it's good to get the kid reps at both just to get him used to the different OG's and positions.Seems like they've been doing a lot of cross training on the O line to cover the bases. Savary at Center is interesting also.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
sonomagator said:
Either or it's good to get the kid reps at both just to get him used to the different OG's and positions.Seems like they've been doing a lot of cross training on the O line to cover the bases. Savary at Center is interesting also.
Sarvary is doing well at center by all accounts and Muschamp seemed pleased about his performance this fall. He can also play guard so that will allow them to also give Brown more reps at tackle. Although some people would have you think otherwise we have a lot of depth on the offensive line. Experience no but we do have bodies this year and that is encouraging. We also have a coach and a new offensive system which puts less stress on line offensive line.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n31411 said:
Not sure if anyone saw Muschamp's presser today but Rod Johnson will start working in reps at the left tackle position......hmmm.....they said they thought about working Green in there but decided Johnson has done so well working at right tackle that they want to see how he does on the left side. I wonder if they might be thinking Johnson could outperform DJ ? They also mentioned Brown has done well on his reps at Tackle.
This is great news to me.

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
sonomagator said:
Yeah I agree, of course on here it's tantamount to treason to think that way. What Sarvary also does in playing well at center is IF we get into injury problems it could free up Garcia to kick out to OG or OT.I think that would be only done in a real emergency , but it is one more contingency plan.I know Savary only played at FAMU but he did a year in the Texas JC league which is one of the best in the country , and he did well and has a real mean streak to him which I like to see in an OL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.