QB Battle

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n259795 said:
My wife just tells you that to make you feel better.
FIFY

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;259704 said:
We won inspite of treon not because of treon. He went 4-2 as a starter. Didn't finish 2 of those wins. Only threw 6 passes against Georgia and he played decent against vandy. I'll also cut him some slack because the coaching staff could have managed him better.

So do you think we would of won the Tennessee game, Vandy game and even been close in the FSU game if Driskel would've still been playing? Doubt it, Tennessee would've clearly beat us, doubt we would've beat Vandy with them and he would've gave it to the clowns with picks and fumbles. Treon's a calm and cool Qb who I think will do well if selected to start.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
TheBigClaw;n259814 said:
So do you think we would of won the Tennessee game, Vandy game and even been close in the FSU game if Driskel would've still been playing? Doubt it, Tennessee would've clearly beat us, doubt we would've beat Vandy with them and he would've gave it to the clowns with picks and fumbles. Treon's a calm and cool Qb who I think will do well if selected to start.

Claw,

Do you think Harris was the reason we won, or that Driskel was more often than not the reason we lost. We could still have won the games dispite the quarterback, if the quarterback just wasn't as bad as the previous version. I don't think anyone is suggesting that Harris wasn't an upgrade than the 2014 version of Driskel. But he also wasn't lighting the world on fire either. It's not like when Wuerfell, Grossman, Leak, etc.. took over. Harris did what he needed to do, but was he ever truly better than just average. Did the offense raise the level of play, or just it not have as many turn overs?

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;259840 said:
Claw,

Do you think Harris was the reason we won, or that Driskel was more often than not the reason we lost. We could still have won the games dispite the quarterback, if the quarterback just wasn't as bad as the previous version. I don't think anyone is suggesting that Harris wasn't an upgrade than the 2014 version of Driskel. But he also wasn't lighting the world on fire either. It's not like when Wuerfell, Grossman, Leak, etc.. took over. Harris did what he needed to do, but was he ever truly better than just average. Did the offense raise the level of play, or just it not have as many turn overs?

You have a point. Obviously Driskel was the reason we were losing most of our games but I do think Treon did better than average for a true freshman under the circumstances he was in. True freshman in the SEC under a dumb head coach who had no idea what he was doing and also he was Injured towards then end of the year. Based on that, I'd say he did above average, although our offense didn't light it up. Harris had a completion rate of 49.6 % with a total of 1019 yards passing last year with 9 TD's and 4 INT's. That obviously doesn't look very impressive but he only played what, around 6 games? And also had a very limited playbook to work with and receivers that had struggled catching the ball all year, except for D-Rob. His rushing stats of last year, 75 carries for 332 yards, and 3 touchdowns. Not half bad, averaged about 4.5 yards a carry which isn't bad against SEC defenses. So although he didn't light it up, I'd say he did above average for the situation he was in and helped us win some of those games last year.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
TheBigClaw;n259850 said:
You have a point. Obviously Driskel was the reason we were losing most of our games but I do think Treon did better than average for a true freshman under the circumstances he was in. True freshman in the SEC under a dumb head coach who had no idea what he was doing and also he was Injured towards then end of the year. Based on that, I'd say he did above average, although our offense didn't light it up. Harris had a completion rate of 49.6 % with a total of 1019 yards passing last year with 9 TD's and 4 INT's. That obviously doesn't look very impressive but he only played what, around 6 games? And also had a very limited playbook to work with and receivers that had struggled catching the ball all year, except for D-Rob. His rushing stats of last year, 75 carries for 332 yards, and 3 touchdowns. Not half bad, averaged about 4.5 yards a carry which isn't bad against SEC defenses. So although he didn't light it up, I'd say he did above average for the situation he was in and helped us win some of those games last year.

Claw, I don't know who will win the quarterback battle and honestly don't care as long as the product is better. Harris's best pass is the deep ball between the hash marks. When he would throw outside the hash marks he was horribly inaccurate, and at least a few that if the DB had any hands at all would be a pick 6 (including UT). His height could be part of the issue on that. We also have a unknown property in Grier. Maybe the coaches also have a dark horse in the race, that we don't know to look for. I think Harris did fine for what he had to deal with last year, but at Florida fine at Quarterback doesn't cut it. Every quarterback on the roster has to be better than anything we put out last year, or it will be a long year.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
TH may not have set the world on fire, but I'll cut him some slack being he'd been on campus for less than a semester and under gawd awful coaching. I'd say the cool nature was a major plus for a true freshman with barely any college snaps being thrown into a mess of a situation (here, you back up this guy that sucks). There is natural ability, and there are skills that can be coached up. At that point, he was trying to stay alive and make something happen on pure natural ability. It wasn't awesome, but it was better than what we had at the time.

Not every backup will step on the field when called and light it up. How long had those other QBs been on campus, and what kind of coaching did they get, prior to being put on the field? And were those situations where the play calling was attrocious, the teams confidence in offense shot, and little to no flow amongst the players?

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;259856 said:
Claw, I don't know who will win the quarterback battle and honestly don't care as long as the product is better. Harris's best pass is the deep ball between the hash marks. When he would throw outside the hash marks he was horribly inaccurate, and at least a few that if the DB had any hands at all would be a pick 6 (including UT). His height could be part of the issue on that. We also have a unknown property in Grier. Maybe the coaches also have a dark horse in the race, that we don't know to look for. I think Harris did fine for what he had to deal with last year, but at Florida fine at Quarterback doesn't cut it. Every quarterback on the roster has to be better than anything we put out last year, or it will be a long year.

Of course, I agree with you on how our QB's must be better this year.... I was just saying that Treon did well for the scenario last year. I expect him to be lots better this year, especially with capable coaches. I also expect Grier to be a good quarterback from what I've heard about him. My only question on him is we've never seen him take a snap in a real game. We will need Grier's quick thinking and progressions this year as well as Treon's athletic abilities with our O line being less than exceptional.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n259234[B said:
]For all I have heard about Grier for two years [/B]and he isn't clearly the starter by now is disconcerting.

Why??? And who have you been hearing ALL the information from for two years??? Other fans like us clamoring for him to be the guy...

He may be our next Gator great. We just don't know yet. They've just now actually put the pads on. It's early and the general consensus among fans, media, and analyst is that there is no benefit to Coach Mac naming a starter this soon into fall camp. Everybody except you seems to agree with this notion.

Turk182

Founding Member
Just don't care anymore
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
How hard can it be to find a game manager?

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n259798 said:

It's average

Your wife just tells you that to make you feel better.

My wife just tells you that to make you feel better.

Yeah...... but based on your "fix"... he's banging your wife, dude. :headscratch:

Not sure that was such a solid comeback.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Alagator;n259937 said:
Yeah...... but based on your "fix"... he's banging your wife, dude. :headscratch:

Not sure that was such a solid comeback.
You must not know my wife

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Harris did what he needed to do, but was he ever truly better than just average. Did the offense raise the level of play, or just it not have as many turn overs?
Here is the thing, I haven't seen anyone pumping Treon or declaring him the clear cut heir apparent. Personally, I prefer a Qb who throws first and throws well. If he runs well, even the better, but I have never been one who thinks the Qb should be one of your primary Rbs.

I would have PREFERRED to see Grier last year but it didn't happen. If I were to bet or predict who wins this year, it would be Will.

However the antiTreon stuff is stupid.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n260292 said:
Here is the thing, I haven't seen anyone pumping Treon or declaring him the clear cut heir apparent. Personally, I prefer a Qb who throws first and throws well. If he runs well, even the better, but I have never been one who thinks the Qb should be one of your primary Rbs.

I would have PREFERRED to see Grier last year but it didn't happen. If I were to bet or predict who wins this year, it would be Will. That being said, Treon was the truest of true freshman ( no spring practice) who was on the field in the Sec about four weeks after he arrived on campus. He did better than any true freshman I recall, and better than the 4th year early entrant.

The antiTreon stuff is stupid.

^This

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
Someone damn well better step up and play at a high level. The Gators haven't had good QB play since Tebow left in 2009. The Gator program should not be going on 6 years of mediocre or worse QB play. We can blame Champ for some of that. Now an offensive mind runs the program so the QB play will improve and I hope a lot.

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
Nice post Law. Unfortunately, Treon was the last glimmer of hope in a horribly coached offense. I don't think he had a chance to show his capabilities. Hopefully we will see something better if he does earn the starting position.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Good points, Law. Pretty much the way I see it, too. I'm pro-Grier and pro-Harris. I think the thing is we've seen TH and really do feel he has the ability to be even better than he was last year. But, I admit I'm anxious to see WG play and see what he can do with this offense. And I hope the rest of the QB's come along as well. We need them to because ya' never know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.