Raiders offer Gruden 10 Years for 100 Million

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
ESPN is in financial trouble. They do not want that $6.5 mill salary on their books. Rumor is they will be letting football go at the end of this contract.

Not likely to let football go, but how he is worth that amount is a great question. Not to mention a lot of others who are worthless. They probably will be paying a lot less and if they don't have football it will be because some other organization will pay.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
That's actually not accurate. Cable profits for Disney, of which ESPN is the biggest contributor, have plateaued, but the consensus from several industry sources as well as the recent 10-K filed by Disney is that ESPN is in good position to renew with the NFL when its contract comes due in 2022.

Heard otherwise and that they are still trying to shed expenditures. We'll know in a couple years. I would not be surprised if they do not renew though.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Gruden didn't leave them, he was traded for a kings ransom to the bucs.

I'm glad the bucs didn't make a deal like this, I was down to see what Gruden could do with a second shot but I wouldn't have given him control of personnel let alone an ownership stake.

Good point - but he wanted to leave and a big part of that was the Raiders’ notoriously low pay scale.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Has Luke chastised the Raiders' ownership on twitter yet?

If the Raiders are stupid enough to give some ownership to hire Gruden, who I think would be a disaster, may they suffer moreso.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Some guys just want to coach. They can't stay away.

This deal, if true, is far more lucrative financially than his MNF gig. An ownership stake? It's obscene.

Also, you have to remember that coaches were mistreated and underpaid for years in Oakland because of Al Davis. He's worm food now.

And not a single solitary soul misses him....

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Adam Schefter: "It's simple, Jon Gruden will be the next head coach of the Oakland Raiders."

Wonder if he's bringing Gannon back to run the West Coast.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
According to ESPN sources it must be a done deal and they gave Gruden an offer he could not refuse. As usual I think it is an offer he does not want to refuse since death is not the alternative. I also heard the opposite, he makes good money, has a mostly easy for him job that he enjoys, so why would he take on a new challenge? He might mess up whatever legacy that he has now if he fails.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
He's getting a 10 million per year deal, I know I couldn't refuse that. :lol:

I could and might, but I bet neither of us is a wealthy as he probably is, nor has the endorsements and current earnings either.

Money is not everything at least I have been told that.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Gruden's net worth is $20 million. Think his present life is fun and stress-free.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I feel like this gruden raiders thing has already been tried once...

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
I don’t get all the Gruden love... he took over a winning franchise in Tampa and after beating his previous team in the super bowl proceeded to drive the team into obscurity. Every year his record got worse. Furthermore, he never “developed “ a quarterback. He left Tampa in much worse shape than when he was hired. Their one SB is because of what Dungy built.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.