Reverse Engineering Coaching Hires

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I'll play this game:
  1. Jeff Brohm. He's done more with less. He's got Purdue playing decently well in Year One. That's with the :couch: the previous coach left. Imagine what he could do with top tier recruiting.
  2. Scott Frost. In my mind, he's going to Nebraska until he goes somewhere else.
  3. Mike Norvell. Only loss to Scott Frost, beat UCLA. Also has a top 25 offense.
  4. Dino Babers. This is Syracuse's coach. In year two these guys have done well with the talent he inherited. Again, a very week recruiting base for football. I'm not basing this on beating Clemson. These guys competed and gave Miami a game, arguably should have one even with 4 INT's in the first half. Small, but good head coaching track record. Did lose to Middle Tennessee, but his other losses one score to NCSU and 8 points at night at LSU aren't bad. Again, Imagine with Florida talent.
  5. Holgerson/Gundy. Hear me out, both of these guys coach at places where it is hard to get a good recruiting class and do well. They have monsters in recruiting like Texas (they can recruit if they aren't producing...yet) and Oklahoma to deal with. Both have top 5 offenses with less talent than they could get here. Part of that is defense failures on opponents, but part is pretty good schemes as well. Imagine with "Florida speed".

Solid list. I'll add Bryan Harsin, he's in my top 3 (Frost is my #1). I'd love to get a guy like Fuentes, but I don't think he'd leave (and he's gotta have a mega-buyout - same w/ any other P5 coach. Hell, McElwain's at CSU was pretty hefty).

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
No matter who we get, someone is going to be unhappy about it. Someone HAS to find something to complain about.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not disagreeing with your reasoning that we can't strike out again. But I think the difference between a guy like Frost and WM or McElwain is that, as you say, he is the talk of college football right now. Everything from his energy in recruiting, to his record, to his lining up to play QB in practice, is infectious. That's what guys like Meyer and Franklin were known for as well. It's hard to ignore what they're doing.

That simply wasn't the case with either of our last two hires. WM was a complete unknown to whom even his current employer Texas wasn't totally prepared to turn over the reigns. And JM was semi-proven, but far from a name that resonated with anyone outside of a select few. And worse yet, we needed him to come in and rebuild a brand, despite little to no relationship with anyone in our region.

If nothing else, a guy like Frost would immediately strike fear in our rivals and would be able to rebuild the talent through recruiting. People are watching UCF right now. That alone would make him worth the shot.
This where I'm at. Muschamp and Mac didn't bring much excitement from the jump. That wouldn't be the case with frost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.