Rumors on Will Grier

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I think Grier feels that he is just carrying too much baggage to stay. He might feel he would be starting out in the dog house + sitting out that will be too much to overcome here. His dad is probably bending his ear to play elsewhere. It really was a catastrophe of stupid.
Haven't read all the thread yet so maybe I'm missing the punchline, but I agree with this. My feeling was the reason we never saw WG with the team after the press announcement/apology was they were going full court press with the appeal since it would determine his fate and future at UF. And even though they were blowing smoke in the press, they had to know it was a long shot at getting it reduced since we all could see they didn't really have a case.

I figured his plan was if he hit the long-shot and won he would stay, but since he lost he would probably be looking for a new start. I still haven't seen confirmation on whether or not he could play start of 2017 at a D1 school but assume he would have to sit out a full year starting the end of his suspension, meaning a D2 transfer to play half a year then on to the draft if he is projected high enough might be the most likely scenario.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
^This. High School greatness doesn't always translate to NCAA greatness or even goodness. Bring in the best talent, and let the competition sort it out. If someone feels the need to go else where or transfer because they don't want to compete, how would they handle the SEC schedule where competition is at a premium.

I would think that UF is the leader of the pack in regards to highly rated QB's that couldn't cut it at the college level. Definitely post Tebow era.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Something that bothers me a little bit on this topic is I get the feeling most on here would prefer him to leave.....I don't understand why? He didn't kill anybody. He didn't assault or rape anyone. And taking into account he was a first year player, I thought he did pretty damned good. He was the first QB we've had in 6 years that didn't sh!t all over himself when he saw a blitz coming. BTW, he's not leaving. Why all the negativity about this?

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
. And taking into account he was a first year player,

I'm really surprised the master of redshirting tripped himself up on this, Grier was a rs freshman, his second year with the program. I'll give you the first year of seeing action against an opposing team. But he had over a year going against our D in pra tice.

:worried: this might sidetrack the thread...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Why all the negativity about this?
I think because he is one of two players in all of the NCAA that was dumb enough to get himself banned.

I don't think anyone wants him to leave. I haven't seen it. He definitely showed promise against Ole Miss and one quarter vs Tinerc. However, given the monumental stupidity of getting himself banned and the self-absorbed silliness of his hoverdad, I don't think anyone will be surprised if he does something else stupid.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Something that bothers me a little bit on this topic is I get the feeling most on here would prefer him to leave.....I don't understand why? He didn't kill anybody. He didn't assault or rape anyone. And taking into account he was a first year player, I thought he did pretty damned good. He was the first QB we've had in 6 years that didn't sh!t all over himself when he saw a blitz coming. BTW, he's not leaving. Why all the negativity about this?
I hope you're not including me. I'm completely bummed by the idea that he quite likely will never take another snap here. I'm completely sold on him, even if some of his games weren't stellar. He's a winner and he just has that rare natural ability to find and hit the open man. He looks like the best passer we've had since Rex and maybe even a better pro prospect. He's so good in fact, that it just figures with our luck at QB that he would get popped and taken away for a violation about as common as a Nun with HIV. Hopefully he stays and works his way back as starter but I think a new start is more likely.

For all we know even if we can sign Eason and/or Franks, they could be Brantley and Driskel revisited. I think Allen is a can't miss though, but he's a long way off still.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I hope you're not including me. I'm completely bummed by the idea that he quite likely will never take another snap here. I'm completely sold on him, even if some of his games weren't stellar. He's a winner and he just has that rare natural ability to find and hit the open man. He looks like the best passer we've had since Rex and maybe even a better pro prospect. He's so good in fact, that it just figures with our luck at QB that he would get popped and taken away for a violation about as common as a Nun with HIV. Hopefully he stays and works his way back as starter but I think a new start is more likely.

For all we know even if we can sign Eason and/or Franks, they could be Brantley and Driskel revisited. I think Allen is a can't miss though, but he's a long way off still.

+ A zillion. One in the hand is worth three in the bush.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014

I have not weighed in previously on this topic nor have I read the entire thread, but my feeling on the thought of feeling most on here want Grier to leave is not b/c they truly wish he leave but probably it is best if he leaves, for all parties. I feel Harris is going to leave (which I think he should or switch to safety). That would mean a new starting QB which is fine. If we are playing well, the new QB would keep his job (as he should) when Grier becomes eligible but will probably wonder if the leash is tightened. Or he will play stressed all season knowing Grier is returning and he is just keeping the seat warm. For all parties involved I think it best that all players get the opportunity to play as unencumbered mentally as possible.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I think because he is one of two players in all of the NCAA that was dumb enough to get himself banned.

I don't think anyone wants him to leave. I haven't seen it. He definitely showed promise against Ole Miss and one quarter vs Tinerc. However, given the monumental stupidity of getting himself banned and the self-absorbed silliness of his hoverdad, I don't think anyone will be surprised if he does something else stupid.
He stayed committed after watching our sh!t show 2013 season and BP(his recruiter) getting fired. He wants to be a Gator if you ask me, besides he'd be leaving half a season minimum on the table by transferring. I also think you're down playing his ability. The offensive line was horrible the first half of the season, much worse than they are now...Despite what the Oompa Loompa apologist are saying.
As far as his stupidity transgressions go we're not completely sure of the details. He was coming off the stomach flu-virus and maybe was just looking for something to put the 10lbs that a case of the 3 day sh!ts will take off most people back on....Or maybe he's covering for someone who told him to do it.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
+ A zillion. One in the hand is worth three in the bush.
There is no such thing as a sure thing. Some QBs come with known defects, like Driskel, Treon and even Franks. However, there is absolutely no such thing as a sure thing even for the guys in whom the scouts do not see flaws.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014

No I wasn't including you. I'm just surprised at the amount of posters who are so matter of fact about him possibly leaving like he was a project player.....Dude will be damned good when he gets back on the field.....I hope it's wearing Orange and Blue.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
There is no such thing as a sure thing. Some QBs come with known defects, like Driskel, Treon and even Franks. However, there is absolutely no such thing as a sure thing even for the guys in whom the scouts do not see flaws.
Anybody remember Ron Powlus.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
He stayed committed after watching our sh!t show 2013 season and BP(his recruiter) getting fired. He wants to be a Gator if you ask me, besides he'd be leaving half a season minimum on the table by transferring. I also think you're down playing his ability. The offensive line was horrible the first half of the season, much worse than they are now...Despite what the Oompa Loompa apologist are saying.
As far as his stupidity transgressions go we're not completely sure of the details. He was coming off the stomach flu-virus and maybe was just looking for something to put the 10lbs that a case of the 3 day sh!ts will take off most people back on....Or maybe he's covering for someone who told him to do it.
The line has gotten worse, not better. We've got guys that won starting jobs out in case you didn't notice.
As far what the details of what Grier took, you are correct. He could've been taking steroid injections or HGH for all we know, so what does that prove? I've only seen one poster on here say definitively that they want him to go away permanently, but many think he may transfer due to his non-chalant attitude about the football team right now. Not attending meetings, practices or even staying in town to attend the games doesn't sound like someone that's too excited about being a part of the team in my opinion. Who knows...maybe he's just depressed or maybe Mac has advised to stay away so he's not a distraction?

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Damn!!!!

He is doing EXACTLY what the HBC is telling him to do. Crikey! phreaks

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Not attending meetings, practices or even staying in town to attend the games doesn't sound like someone that's too excited about being a part of the team in my opinion.

I have no idea where you got this, but assuming it's true, no, it does not sound good.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The offensive line was horrible the first half of the season, much worse than they are now.
Yes, the Offensive Line has been horrible all year. I would agree that it is slightly better now, but still terrible. Just removing Riles and Dillard improves the OL, although Thurman has struggled mightily to snap the ball with that blown out shoulder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator