Rumors on Will Grier

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Grier, or daddy Grier, may not like the idea of even more competition and/or not beimg promised the starting job on game 7.

Since he will have to sit out 2017 anyway, Id think we would come back for thise 6 games in 2016, but logic isnt always involved with egos this big.

Plus, maybe he has run out of hymens.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Can anyone tell me why it wouldn't be in his best interest to stay? Unless you've somehow convinced yourself Del Rio is more than a collegiate journeyman, it's not like anyone's going to have a serious leg up on him by Game 7 next season. We're raw and underweighted at QB for the time being.
How could Mac justify snatching Del Rio or whomever is the Game 1 starter for a guy who's been suspended for an entire year if the team is 6-0 and the qb play isn't bad?

Only way I see that happening is if by some crazy turn of events, Treon remains the starter for the first 6 games of next season and plays the same way he did to close the season this year. By the same token, Treon will also have Del Rio, Franks/Eason, and maybe another Graduate transfer backing him up so there'd be more flexibility to yank him if he's not producing.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It would be in his interest to stay, however, he may have other reasons to not stay. IMO that decision should be made sooner than later, as far as the interests of the team/coaches are concerned.

That's always the case. What we don't know is whether and to what degree he may feel threatened by the recruiting developments here. My guess is we head into fall camp with Del Rio, Trask and Franks as the add-ons. That still bodes well for a Grier return IMO.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
How could Mac justify snatching Del Rio or whomever is the Game 1 starter for a guy who's been suspended for an entire year if the team is 6-0 and the qb play isn't bad?

Only way I see that happening is if by some crazy turn of events, Treon remains the starter for the first 6 games of next season and plays the same way he did to close the season this year. By the same token, Treon will also have Del Rio, Franks/Eason, and maybe another Graduate transfer backing him up so there'd be more flexibility to yank him if he's not producing.

My thinking is premised on the belief we won't be 6-0 and a large reason for that being unsettledness at QB. The opposite circumstance would obviously change everything.

Turk182

Founding Member
Just don't care anymore
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I don't understand what several of you are saying. Can you use smaller words?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Grier, or daddy Grier, may not like the idea of even more competition and/or not beimg promised the starting job on game 7.

Since he will have to sit out 2017 anyway, Id think we would come back for thise 6 games in 2016, but logic isnt always involved with egos this big.

Plus, maybe he has run out of hymens.

Daddy Grier is out of his mind if he thinks his son is deserving of that promise.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That's always the case. What we don't know is whether and to what degree he may feel threatened by the recruiting developments here. My guess is we head into fall camp with Del Rio, Trask and Franks as the add-ons. That still bodes well for a Grier return IMO.
Particularly if Franks doesn't make a big deal of redshirting, which would be in his interest no matter what, at least here. In that scenario, that would be my preference.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Particularly if Franks doesn't make a big deal of redshirting, which would be in his interest no matter what, at least here. In that scenario, that would be my preference.

And that's exactly what I think will happen based on practicality. We've got a capable guy back on roster after the sixth game. Why use up a year of the kid's eligibility on what would likely be a wasted year?

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Does all this influence Jake Allen's committment for 2017?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
What I think some of us are unwilling to come to terms with is we're likely not competing for lofty goals next season based on the quarterback situation. I could be wrong and I hope I am, but you have to be practical minded.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We going to be 6-0 next year when Grier is eligible, Mac will not change QBs at that time. Grier will either transfer or go into the draft.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I don't understand what several of you are saying. Can you use smaller words?

I'd suggest going to Warchant, but no, most expressed aren't legit words nor complete sentences.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We going to be 6-0 next year when Grier is eligible, Mac will not change QBs at that time. Grier will either transfer or buy me a draught.

I prefer bottle.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
What I think some of us are unwilling to come to terms with is we're likely not competing for lofty goals next season based on the quarterback situation. I could be wrong and I hope I am, but you have to be practical minded.
Defense has some holes to fill also. We are likely to be even weaker at MLB and wont have a running stopping beast at DT.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Defense has some holes to fill also. We are likely to be even weaker at MLB and wont have a running stopping beast at DT.

That, too. Redshirt Franks and work with what you got, Mac. You've already bought yourself a fourth year with this effort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator