Scott Stricklin kills it in press conference

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
And all this talk about Foley being in his ear and acting as some kind of puppet master is baloney. That guy does not strike me in the least as someone who is not his own man who does not make his own decisions. After listening to him I feel much more confident in UF making the right coaching choice than I ever did before.

I mentioned on another thread that I have a buddy who worked for a while with Stricklin in the Mississippi State athletic department. He speaks very highly of him and says he is top-notch.
Last night he texted me and said "he will make a great hire". I realize this is anecdotal but the way he handled last night's press conference reinforces what I have heard first-hand from good friend.

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I agree with this too, but I wonder at what point Mac just gave up. In july he's jumping the pool with his staff after sucessful recruiting, then in early October you start hearing rumors that Mac wants out at the end of the season. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he's gone, but what changed so quickly? Did he just realize that the job was too big for him?
I think the noise was probably pounding in Macs ear for some time. I'm not a fan of Macs by any means but I wouldn't put my family through what some of these coaches go through when things start to go downhill especially if I made that kind of money and was going to get a large sum for getting them as far away from a situation. What's the worst that he's going to go to? A smaller pressure job and still making a million plus more than likely plus that large chunk....I'm glad he's gone and I think it was right for both parties.

gatorjohn

Founding Member
Rev
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Does anyone know if Strickland hired Mullen at MS? I do think Mullen is a great fit for MS. He has done as well as anyone could at that school. I do not want Him here! I trust Strickland.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Does anyone know if Strickland hired Mullen at MS? I do think Mullen is a great fit for MS. He has done as well as anyone could at that school. I do not want Him here! I trust Strickland.
Stricklin did not hire mullen

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

I'm not happy, I'm elated. We get a do-over. I'll be even more elated if the guy who gave us contract extensions for both Mac and Nuss last June makes a great replacement hire.

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
I'm not happy, I'm elated. We get a do-over. I'll be even more elated if the guy who gave us contract extensions for both Mac and Nuss last June makes a great replacement hire.

As to Stricklin's involvement in the raise/extension....keep in mind he had been on the job for two months. I find it hard to believe that he had already had time to evaluate McElwain and the other coaches and make the decision to give them longer terms and more money. I would guess that the deal had already been drawn up (byFoley) and was on the table and he signed off on making it happen.

You can criticize him and say he should have put the brakes on the deal but I don't see him as the catalyst behind making it happen. Not enough time on the job to have hand crafted such a deal.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
As to Stricklin's involvement in the raise/extension....keep in mind he had been on the job for two months. I find it hard to believe that he had already had time to evaluate McElwain and the other coaches and make the decision to give them longer terms and more money. I would guess that the deal had already been drawn up (byFoley) and was on the table and he signed off on making it happen.

You can criticize him and say he should have put the brakes on the deal but I don't see him as the catalyst behind making it happen. Not enough time on the job to have hand crafted such a deal.

We've been speculating for months whether Stricklin was hired as an extension of Foley. If what you say is correct, then the man really wasn't ready to assume the controls as AD.

If UF wanted an autonomous and fully functional AD, the last thing it needed to do was hire a yes man to Jeremy Foley. I'm hoping we have it all wrong.

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Scott Stricklin - Scott Frost, that sounds good together.

He calls UCF’s AD.... Hello Mr. White this is Scott. Could I speak with Scott please?

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Finally got around to watching. Wow, that was an indictment on Mac. Wow.

Stricklin gets it....make it fun.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I said it earlier in the thread somewhat, but Stricklin, I really think gets it. He is finally at school where he has the tools to go after the Big One to make a splash. Lets hope he gets it enough to go after a big hire. But I am more comfortable with him now than I was originally. We really have not had a lot of exposure to him before now. I am also glad that although he was very complimentary of Mullen, his demeanor and statement to me was not an overall endorsement of him either.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I watched the entire presser and that is the best the Gators have looked all year.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
We've been speculating for months whether Stricklin was hired as an extension of Foley. If what you say is correct, then the man really wasn't ready to assume the controls as AD.

If UF wanted an autonomous and fully functional AD, the last thing it needed to do was hire a yes man to Jeremy Foley. I'm hoping we have it all wrong.
I think he is listening to Foley as much as Mac listened to SOS. The later would have been preferable, the former not so much.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
For me personally, maybe the best thing Stricklin said last night.

"Being in this league for 25 years, when Florida has been really good, from a distance it has looked really fun and I want it to be really fun. Our fans, they deserve it to be really fun. I want our players and student-athletes to have a lot of fun. I want it to be fun for our staff.”

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
More than once he referenced respecting programs in their season, and not openly courting a coach who still has regular season games to play. Should we take this as a sign of waiting for Butch to be available? :grin:

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
Agree with most in being impressed with Stricklin's pose and presentation Sunday. He said all the right things and gave thoughtful articulate answers to the questions. So he gets a 10 for public speaking but can he deliver? Time will tell.

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
More than once he referenced respecting programs in their season, and not openly courting a coach who still has regular season games to play. Should we take this as a sign of waiting for Butch to be available? :grin:

:raisehand:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.