Scott Stricklin kills it in press conference

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Well, if so, they are wrong too. Elite coaches of elite programs aren't scared of a challenge. Elite coaches believe they can win. Like the AD just said: UF is a flagship program, with 3 national titles in the last 25 years, in the state with the most talent in the country, and the most passionate fans in sports. If someone is scared to coach at UF with all of those working in their favor... we don't want them.

That's 3 national championships in the last 21 years

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Stricklin wasn't lying when he said this was a mutual decision......Mac wanted out as bad as we wanted him gone.

I agree with this too, but I wonder at what point Mac just gave up. In july he's jumping the pool with his staff after sucessful recruiting, then in early October you start hearing rumors that Mac wants out at the end of the season. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he's gone, but what changed so quickly? Did he just realize that the job was too big for him?

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Just had the opportunity to watch the press conference. I cannot tell you how refreshing that was. After spending the last 15 years listening to guys like Foley, Zook, Meyer, Muschamp and McElwain at that podium I finally heard someone who was succinct, intelligent, spoke in clear full sentences and was anything but ambiguous. He used anecdotes to clearly illustrate his points and gave background for his reasoning. I'm now a big fan. The guy gets it.

And all this talk about Foley being in his ear and acting as some kind of puppet master is baloney. That guy does not strike me in the least as someone who is not his own man who does not make his own decisions. After listening to him I feel much more confident in UF making the right coaching choice than I ever did before.

I thought the question about an eventual "correction" in the coaching buyout market was a good one and I loved Stricklin's answer. It's got to stop and it's going to have to take AD's with backbones to make it stop.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
"We're not going to talk to anyone while their season's going on."

Uh-huh.
Well, its true HE isnt going to talk to anyone.

He will just be, you know, gauging interest.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The AD though being political about it and not outright saying it sure let it be known they didn't care for McElwain even besides the wins and losses.
He also mentioned being competitive, ie not getting blownout.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Just had the opportunity to watch the press conference. I cannot tell you how refreshing that was. After spending the last 15 years listening to guys like Foley, Zook, Meyer, Muschamp and McElwain at that podium I finally heard someone who was succinct, intelligent, spoke in clear full sentences and was anything but ambiguous. He used anecdotes to clearly illustrate his points and gave background for his reasoning. I'm now a big fan. The guy gets it.

And all this talk about Foley being in his ear and acting as some kind of puppet master is baloney. That guy does not strike me in the least as someone who is not his own man who does not make his own decisions. After listening to him I feel much more confident in UF making the right coaching choice than I ever did before.

I thought the question about an eventual "correction" in the coaching buyout market was a good one and I loved Stricklin's answer. It's got to stop and it's going to have to take AD's with backbones to make it stop.

:clap:

This presser gives me confidence that we're going after the right guy(s) for the job. I'm still uneasy that we'll find one of the rare excellent coaches, because they are so rare, but listening to this guy injects some confidence.

I'm glad that Mac was let go.
I don't doubt that it was mutual.
I believe SS when he says that he likes Mac and that he's a good man.
...and that the decision was more than just wins and losses.
I will wait with bated breath to see who we find.

In the mean time, Go Gators! Work 'em silly! Win for yourselves, your team mates, your program and your university!

:chomp:

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
giphy.gif

You're killin' it lately! :lol2:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I too just got around to watching the press conference.

1. I agree Strickland did a nice job.

2. I also agree that we are not interested in nice press conference but rather competent coaching. Only time will tell what type of hire this search produces.

3. It is not fair to judge an AD on hires ex-post. Sometimes as Strickland suggested an AD hires someone the majority of the fan base is excited about and it does not work out. The amazing things about the Foley 3 hires is that each time he hired Zook, then Muschamp, then McElwain a significant fraction of the fans base said WHAT the day he announced the hire.

4. Strickland needs a hire that a very large percentage of the fan base is immediately behind.

BTW, Dooley's says his wife and daughter will not come to UF games again if Leach is hired.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Urban took an undefeated Utah and crushed Pitt while he was recruiting for us. So yes. He could do it.
Fuk Urban.
He'll be calling Scott Frost first thing in the morning.
The deal was most likely already done.
Starkville Mediocrity. The fact that the 9 players in any way shape or form haven't been told to GFTO permanently is a big red flag. Piss on the student hearing, they all were selfish and embarrassed UF, NONE of them deserve to be on campus ever again, much less wear the orange and blue uniform.

Strychnine said all the right things, but so did Fooley. The fact Fooley has his ear at all adds to the doubt I have that this hire will be a good one and be just like Fooleys past two, a royal cluster****, and not telling the 9 players to pound sand will have the NCAA lurking.

Just my .02, and god I hope I am 1,000,000% wrong.
Maybe we can have them publicly caned before they are banished from the city limits:headslap:

This may be a surprise to the few of you who are perfect, but many young males are borderline retarded when it comes to impulse control and decision making. And when they come from a less stable home and less affluent community, possibly gifted more with athletic ability than intellect, it's not all that surprising when they make a real bad choice, that almost literally "everyone else" in their circle is doing.

I think it's more than fair to question Stricklin's judgement based on this apparent flip-flop of giving a coach a raise and extension just months before firing him. Make the right hire and that can easily be forgiven. But to slam Stricklin for not crucifying the "Gainesville Nine" is a little extreme. Besides, after Aaron Hernandez, a player has to really step up to embarrass UF.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
He quoted Tebow. "You don't come to Florida to compete, you come to WIN".

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
3. ... The amazing things about the Foley 3 hires is that each time he hired Zook, then Muschamp, then McElwain a significant fraction of the fans base said WHAT the day he announced the hire.

4. Strickland needs a hire that a very large percentage of the fan base is immediately behind.

This needs repeating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator