SEC Media Days 2017: July 10-13

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
http://www.secsports.com/article/18785131/sec-announces-football-media-days-schedule

SEC Football Media Days schedule

Birmingham, Ala. -- The Southeastern Conference today announced its annual football media days will take place July 10-13, held again at the Hyatt Regency Birmingham - Wynfrey Hotel in Hoover, Ala. A more detailed daily schedule with a rotational breakdown and student-athletes attending will be available at a later date.

The SEC Network and ESPN will once again be on site to bring SEC Media Days to a national audience. Six times since 1992 has the SEC Media Days predicted champion proceeded to win the SEC Championship, including two of the last three seasons.

2017 SEC FOOTBALL MEDIA DAYS SCHEDULE
As of February 28, 2017 (Tentative and subject to change)

MONDAY, July 10
Arkansas - Bret Bielema
LSU - Ed Orgeron
Tennessee - Butch Jones

TUESDAY, July 11
Florida - Jim McElwain
Georgia - Kirby Smart
Vanderbilt - Derek Mason
Mississippi State - Dan Mullen

WEDNESDAY, July 12
Alabama - Nick Saban
Kentucky - Mark Stoops
Missouri - Barry Odom
Texas A&M - Kevin Sumlin

THURSDAY, July 13
Auburn - Gus Malzahn
Ole Miss - Hugh Freeze
South Carolina - Will Muschamp

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Who will the Florida Gators take to SEC Media Days?

http://www.gatorcountry.com/feature/who-will-the-florida-gators-take-to-sec-media-days/

It’s hard to believe but SEC Media Days are just around the corner and the Florida Gators are less than 60 days away from taking on Michigan to kick off the 2017 football season.

It may just be “talking season” to Steve Spurrier but the week that the SEC schools descend upon Hoover, Alabama for Media Days is sort of the official, unofficial start of the college football season. Every word, glance, stare, answer or non-answer will be scrutinized and picked apart during the week. In recent years it’s even become a fashion show, and not just with the players, coaches, namely Bret Bielema and Dan Mullen’s shoes have drawn reviews. No way Mullen knows what “Yeezy’s” are, but the kids he’s recruiting sure do, and they like them.

Shoe and sock game aside, it’s a big event for each team in the conference and the show starts even before the teams roll into the hotel. It starts with who Jim McElwain will pick to represent the Gators with him at SEC Media Days.

There’s a lot that must go into the decision. First off, it’s not a typical post-practice beat crowd that the players are used to. There are thousands of reporters, most of which they’ve never seen or been asked questions by. Everyone is looking for a sound bite, a slip up that could be construed and turned into a headline. Coaches don’t want to have their players giving bulletin board material in early July, so getting picked to attend shows a vote of confidence in the player and a level of trust.

The trip also entails a private jet that will take the Gators from Gainesville Regional airport to Hoover. That’s quite a rewarding experience for anyone, let alone a college student-athlete. Many coaches reward seniors, McElwain did this with Jonathan Bullard (2015) as well as Jarrad Davis (2016) and Marcus Maye (2016). The other players that have joined were two juniors — Vernon Hargreaves (2015) and David Sharpe (2016) — that were both expected to leave school early barring injury. The other was Brandon Powell, who went as a sophomore in 2015.
Who will join McElwain this season for the media circus?

Let’s go ahead and eliminate players. Florida doesn’t make freshmen available to the media and the incoming freshmen haven’t played a down yet. They’re not coming. Take those 23 players off the board.

Next off the board, quarterbacks. All of them.

Bringing a quarterback to Hoover is basically naming a starter. McElwain isn’t going to do that. So Feleipe Franks, Kyle Trask, Luke Del Rio and Malik Zaire are unlikely to make the trip.

With the obvious names off the board, let’s take a look at some obvious contenders to make the trip.

Starting with seniors.

S – Marcell Harris – led the Gators in tackles (73) last season.
S – Nick Washington – third highest tackles returning on defense (45)
CB – Duke Dawson – returned for his senior season, led the Gators with 7 PBU in 2016
WR – Brandon Powell – he’s handled the event before
TE – DeAndre Goolsby – In line to be a big target for the offense
CB – Joseph Putu – Has a great story that could get national attention by attending
DL – Jordan Sherit – fifth most tackles of returning starters
RB – Mark Thompson – finished his first season with Florida with 299 yards and two scores
P – Johnny Townsend – Ranked first in net-punting average in the nation last year

Of that only one player really had the decision to leave school early and return, à la Marcus Maye in 2016. That’s Duke Dawson. He would be a good choice for Jim McElwain. Dawson has handled media for three years at Florida and will likely be the face of a defense that has to replace a lot of talent in 2017. Marcell Harris and Nick Washington are two other candidates. Neither did a lot of media prior to last season but Washington has been funny, affable and, most importantly to McElwain and Florida, he doesn’t say anything that could be taken out of context.

Punters may not move the needle but Townsend has been a pivotal player for the Gators during his time in Gainesville. He contemplated leaving school early, has been great with the media in Gainesville and isn’t going to say something that causes a Florida UAA public relations scramble. Plus, what better way to show people that punters are people too?

If you’re going the special teams route, Eddy Pineiro has been exceptional with the local media and his YouTube stardom could play well for some easy, fluff stories coming out of Hoover.

It would be hard to think that Florida wouldn’t bring two of the named already listed above, presumably both on defense or special teams. You need someone there to represent the offense. We already eliminated quarterbacks, we’ll cross off Brandon Powell, too, on account that he’s been there before and hasn’t really factored into the offense too much.

Scrolling through the rest of the list Martez Ivey, Antonio Callaway and Jordan Scarlett all stand out on offense. With Florida being under a Federal Title IX investigation (according to the Tampa Bay Times) for its handling of a sexual assault accusation involving Callaway, we can cross him off the list.

That leaves Ivey and Scarlett to represent the offense. The duo has been very similar with the media in Gainesville. Both are soft spoken, confident and not likely to cause a stir. Both are also likely to leave after this season.

We’ll find out this week who McElwain chose to attend SEC Media Days with him. Which three players would you bring with you and why?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Mushchump should be Saturday.

Or maybe Monday with the rest of the retards.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
LDR could be the feel good coming back from an injury story guy for UF at SEC media days. He could shut down the starting QB talk just by saying he isn't 100% fully recovered yet and its an open competition going into the practices.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
LDR could be the feel good coming back from an injury story guy for UF at SEC media days. He could shut down the starting QB talk just by saying he isn't 100% fully recovered yet and its an open competition going into the practices.

I would think being a loose cannon on twitter or any social media should probably be a disqualifier for media days. Sure LDR might be speaking the in house party line on twitter, but perhaps accepting this mediocre offense and UF fans are terrible to demand more should not be the public party line and should not be delivered by a player.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Taven Bryan. He could bring his Wyoming Wild-Man persona to Hoover for a change of pace.

Jawaan Taylor. Could do a dance routine to show how light he is on his feet then wrestle a bear.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I would think being a loose cannon on twitter or any social media should probably be a disqualifier for media days. Sure LDR might be speaking the in house party line on twitter, but perhaps accepting this mediocre offense and UF fans are terrible to demand more should not be the public party line and should not be delivered by a player.

With that many reporters its possible they could bring up that twitter stuff so they might not consider LDR I guess.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Question answered:

Dawson, Harris and Ivey to Join McElwain at SEC Media Days
Florida's contingent appears at the event on Tuesday in Hoover, Ala.

http://floridagators.com/news/2017/...-ivey-to-join-mcelwain-at-sec-media-days.aspx

GAINESVILLE, Fla. – The 2017 SEC Football Media Days start next week and Gators head coach Jim McElwain will be joined by cornerback Duke Dawson, safety Marcell Harris and offensive lineman Martez Ivey.

The SEC office announced the full list of players attending the four-day media festival on Wednesday, which runs Monday through Thursday in Hoover, Ala. The Gators will attend the event Tuesday, July 11, along with Georgia, Vanderbilt and Mississippi State.

This will be the first year since 2009 that Florida has not appeared on opening day at SEC Media Days.

The Gators return to Media Days as the defending two-time SEC East champions. Since Jim McElwain arrived at Florida prior to the 2015 season, only Alabama (28) has more total wins than UF's 19 in the SEC. In addition, McElwain's 13 conference wins ranks second to Alabama (15) since the start of 2015.

Overall, the Gators are 19-8 under McElwain, which ties Steve Spurrier for the second-most by a UF head coach
through his first two seasons.

As McElwain enters his third season, Florida's most experienced starter on the offensive line is the 6-foot-5, 305-pound Ivey, who started 20 games over the last two years and is projected to start at left tackle this fall.

"He's a guy that has a lot of pride," McElwain said of Ivey last fall. "[Martez] doesn't allow some of the negative stuff to sink in. He works hard, it's important to him. He cares. He's a guy that when he does talk, people listen."

Meanwhile, a pair of veteran defensive stalwarts will join Ivey.

Harris had his best season as a collegian in 2016, leading the team with 73 tackles, including four tackles-for-loss and one sack. He added two interceptions, one pass breakup, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery.

Dawson started seven of the 12 games he played last season and has appeared in 37 games the past three seasons. Dawson spent his junior season as the starting nickel when healthy, finishing with 24 tackles, 3.5 tackles for loss and one interception.

With the departures of Teez Tabor and Quincy Wilson, the Cross City, Fla. product will play more outside this fall.

SEC Media Days Information

The SEC Network and ESPN will once again be on site to bring SEC Media Days to a national audience.

Six times since 1992 has the SEC Media Days predicted champion proceeded to win the SEC Championship, including two of the last three seasons.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Duffy vs. Duffey: Is SEC Media Days dead? How can it be fixed?

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/duffy-vs-duffey-media-days/

Editor’s Note: Kevin Duffey and Ty Duffy recently exchanged a series of emails discussing SEC Media Days, the purpose behind the event and how the event could be improved. That conversation has been published here.

Kevin Duffey:
I’ve been a part of Saturday Down South since its founding in 2010, and every year, I’m very tuned into SEC Media Days. I’ve been to the event each of the last three years and am getting ready to attend again next week.

However, other than giving people like me and other members of the media something to do in July, and to provide media companies some material that makes the content creation process easier, I’m a little unsure at the entire point of this event.

One thing that always seems to surprise me is the lack of interest from typical college football fans. The circle of friends I’ve had for years are all die-hard college football fans. They went to major universities with big boy brands of football throughout the Southeast. During SEC Media Days, when it seems like (to us) that the entire world is revolving around SEC football, these friends aren’t even aware that the event is happening. It’s not remotely on their radar, and several of them are obsessed with the SEC.

Sure, when Paul Finebaum and Nick Saban got into an argument last year on the set at Media Days, it got a lot of attention. But the attention really had nothing to do with Media Days if you think about it. Finebaum and Saban arguing would get a lot of attention from SEC fans regardless of where it took place or the month of the year in which it took place.

Is the lack of interest from typical college football fans just a function of the fact that Media Days is not much more than press conferences in which coaches say very little, televised during the day while most normal people are working? Probably.

Perhaps this event exists solely for the media and the general fan’s interest isn’t relevant to the conversation?

Ty Duffy:
I think you hit on the operative point. SEC media days happen in mid-July. There is nothing else going on in major sports that week. Almost literally nothing. MLB grinds to a halt for the All-Star Break. Consequential NBA free agency moves have occurred. NFL players don’t show up to training camp for a couple more weeks. The calendar is bleak.

Live sports don’t go year round. The media cycle does. So, we’ve seen the advent of non-event events. The NFL Draft has become its own ancillary season. Signing Day has blown up.

Media Days are the worst of this trend: media putting on a full-court press covering… media. If ESPN wishes to turn this into a fan event, they could jazz it up a little bit. I’d love a “Real Housewives Reunion” style afternoon with all the coaches on a coach answering uncomfortable questions about the previous season.

They are definitely more important for the media than the general fan, especially in a large, disparate sport like college football. If you’re a reporter, you can only be one place out of many per weekend. Even if you’re a national reporter on the road every weekend, you still only get a small portion of the picture. It’s not often you have all the media assembled and every coach and administrator in one place answering questions.

The trouble for fans is these things are more or less perfunctory. Coaches are prepared, on point, and close to the vest. Media members dependent on coaches for access don’t come in flame-throwing. When a coach says something newsworthy and interesting, it’s most often after a game or when caught off guard on a radio show.

Unlike the NFL where every player is available and every team in the Super Bowl has a Rob Gronkowski or Michael Bennett, the few college players made available at these events are the ones mature enough to handle that spotlight.

Stories will be filed. Column inches will be filled. But, there’s seldom anything organic or unexpected that will start up a water cooler conversation (if anything non-political can still do so.)

Is there anything, in particular, you are looking forward to seeing addressed? The biggest intrigue has to be around Hugh Freeze with the recruiting saga?

Kevin Duffey:
You mean other than Jim McElwain’s nude shark humping scandal? If I had to power rank topics I’d like to see addressed, it’d go something like this:

1. Nude Jim McElwain look-a-like humping shark
2 – 1032. Everything else
1033. Ole Miss NCAA violations

In all seriousness, when I saw this video of Jim McElwain answering questions on the nude shark humping event for like the 5th time in a week, I couldn’t stop watching it. I laughed and I cried. I can’t decide if we’re living in the golden age of college football coverage or if we’re taking on water and are about to go down with the ship.

Do we think that public relations students are going to be studying Jim McElwain’s response in the above video for the next 50 years learning how not to handle nude shark humping scandals? I think so. I’d also be remiss if I didn’t give a shoutout to the excellent line of questioning in that video. I think we have a budding Lester Holt on our hands. I know University of Florida has a good journalism school, but I didn’t know it was that good!

But let’s get back to fixing Media Days. You mentioned “jazzing” it up a bit. I’m glad you bring this up because I’ve been giving this plenty of thought, and I’d like to share some of my ideas. My first one is admittedly pretty bold.

…and here it is: the previous year’s SEC Championship coach gets to kick out a team from league play for the upcoming season, and the announcement is made primetime at SEC Media Days.

I have to give credit to where credit is due. This idea originates from learning about The Ringer’s Bill Simmons’ fantasy football league where the previous year’s champion gets to kick out one team for the next year. But here’s the best part … the announcement isn’t made until the draft. So, everyone shows up to the draft with their draft prep and notes. And one of those poor suckers won’t even get to participate in the draft. Instead, take a hike. We’ll see you next year.

My favorite part of learning about this is that Simmons’ buddy and fellow podcaster, Cousin Sal (also of the Jimmy Kimmel Show) kicked out Mr. Mad Men himself, Jon Hamm. See you next year, Draper!

I don’t see any reason the SEC can’t implement a similar approach.

You bring in all the SEC coaches onto the stage in front of the press. Then, the previous SEC Championship winning head coach steps up to the podium and announces who is out for the upcoming season. The drama would be incredible. The tension would be brutal.

In fact, you might get some similar dynamics to a rose ceremony on ABC’s The Bachelor. My personal favorite part of such events is when the guy or girl who knows the chances of getting cut are high make a last ditch attempt to save himself or herself. Right before a rose is held out, Jessie will blurt out, “Hey, um, Jim … can I talk to you for a minute?” Jim always obliges of course, and they step outside while Jessie makes a humiliating and pathetic final attempt to save herself. It typically doesn’t work.

Getting back to Hoover, this would be amazing. Kevin Sumlin, already feeling some pressure after his AD called him out recently, is sweating bullets. Nick Saban is at the microphone about to announce who’s out.

Kevin: “Nick, I’m sorry, but I really need a word.”

Nick: “Damnit Kevin. What now?”

Kevin: “Just 30 seconds. Please.”

Nick: “Fine, but you know how much I hate Hoover. Let’s keep this quick.”

After a minute, Nick and Kevin walk back onto the stage. Nick is visibly irritated, but also has an evil smile in the corner of his mouth indicating he actually is enjoying this process. He begins to speak: “Ladies and gentlemen. The team that will not be competing in the SEC this season is … (long pause), (really long pause) the Georgia Bulldogs! That’s right, Kirby. You’re done, son. Excuse me while I call Jacob Eason about his transfer options.”

What would the ratings be on this event? I’m thinking Cavs-Warriors NBA Finals levels, 20 million or so…

Ty Duffy:
Yes, it’s interesting you bring up Jim McElwain. Between the shark scandal and the offseason goatee he showed up with during the NCAA Tournament, he’s making a strong campaign for “most interesting man in the SEC.” One more viral happening – hoping for a Florida produced dance video of some sort – or even showing up with a deep sunburn and a sunglasses tan may push him over the edge.

That sort of says something about the SEC right now. Have recent changes made the cast of coaches more boring?

Steve Spurrier has left us. To be truthful, his fastball was topping out in the upper-80s toward the end of the South Carolina tenure. We weren’t getting a “you can’t spell Citrus without UT” as much as we all wanted to make it happen. But, he was without question a character. He was replaced with Will Muschamp who, while among the most GIF-able coaches on the sideline, is a dull media day interview.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
SEC Media Days player attendee list announced

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/sec-media-days-2017-players-attending/

Here’s the team-by-team breakdown of the players attending:

Alabama Crimson Tide
Bradley Bozeman, Offensive Line
Minkah Fitzpatrick, Defensive Back
Calvin Ridley, Wide Receiver

Arkansas Razorbacks
Austin Allen, Quarterback
Frank Ragnow, Offensive Line
Kevin Richardson II, Defensive Back

Auburn Tigers
Daniel Carlson, Kicker
Tray Matthews, Defensive Back
Braden Smith, Offensive Line

Florida Gators
Duke Dawson, Defensive Back
Marcell Harris, Defensive Back
Martez Ivey, Offensive Line

Georgia Bulldogs
Nick Chubb, Running Back
Sony Michel, Running Back
Roquan Smith, Linebacker

Kentucky Wildcats
Mike Edwards, Defensive Back
Stephen Johnson, Quarterback
Courtney Love, Linebacker

LSU Tigers
D.J. Chark, Wide Receiver
Derrius Guice, Running Back
Christian LaCouture, Defensive Line

Mississippi State Bulldogs
Donald Gray, Wide Receiver
Dez Harris, Linebacker
Martinas Rankin, Offensive Line

Missouri Tigers
Eric Beisel, Linebacker
Drew Lock, Quarterback
J’Mon Moore, Wide Receiver

Ole Miss Rebels
Javon Patterson, Offensive Line
Shea Patterson, Quarterback
Breeland Speaks, Defensive Line

South Carolina Gamecocks
Jake Bentley, Quarterback
Hayden Hurst, Tight End
Deebo Samuel, Wide Receiver

Tennessee Volunteers
Emmanuel Moseley, Defensive Back
Jashon Robertson, Offensive Line
Kendal Vickers, Defensive Line

Texas A&M Aggies
Christian Kirk, Wide Receiver
Koda Martin, Offensive Line
Armani Watts, Defensive Back

Vanderbilt Commodores
Oren Burks, Linebacker
Kyle Shurmur, Quarterback
Ralph Webb, Running Back

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Muschamp is not taking any defenders there. I guess he told them they weren't worthy. SC is the only team with all offensive players it appears.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Muschamp is not taking any defenders there. I guess he told them they weren't worthy. SC is the only team with all offensive players it appears.

Well, he couldn't exactly leave a guy named "Deebo" at home, could he? Not with that name.

103353582-e1321472585147.jpg

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

Considering USC has a better OC and QB than we do, this probably isn't going too far out on a limb....but I'm going to guess they have a better offense than we do this year (yyp, ppg, conference ranking, etc).

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Considering USC has a better OC and QB than we do, this probably isn't going too far out on a limb....but I'm going to guess they have a better offense than we do this year (yyp, ppg, conference ranking, etc).

It may be close. I think we averaged just a yard or two a game more than them last season.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
It may be close. I think we averaged just a yard or two a game more than them last season.

Yep....and they have a returning QB that looks like he's going to be pretty good (Roper does good work w/ QBs).

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Roper does good work w/ QBs.
I would have been all aboard keeping Roper or DJ Durkin as an interim while we waited for a top shelf coach to become available (or to see if the interim worked out).

Roper damn sure wouldn't have been 116th with our talent.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator