Shane Matthews: AR can’t throw the ball

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
John “Lawnchair” Brantley comes to mind.

We weren’t very deep into that season before fans were clamoring for Burton or Jordan Reed to take over

It was 2nd and 15 of the third drive in the 2010 opener for me.

But when he caught his own batted down pass, while laying on the ground, against Usce, I had to give him some props. Even I didn’t think he could be that bad.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Starting QB at UF this year would be a tough gig for anybody.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Starting QB at UF this year would be a tough gig for anybody.

It’s always a tough job. But when you have a run game like we do, and some of the protection our OL has afforded, no way should it look like it has. Even with the lack of true playmaker at WR, there are plenty of QBs that would sign up for that over what they have.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
As an aside, it was great watching Jacoby Brisset play lights out on MNF tonight.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
As an aside, it was great watching Jacoby Brisset play lights out on MNF tonight.

He’s an actual QB.

Also worth noting that he won a state title at Dwyer in 2009 as well. I don’t mean it as knock on AR, but similar to Driskel, he was the only star on a really bad HS team. I think there’s something to be said about winning championships even at that level, to prepare you for the next. It doesn’t guarantee anything but it helps build a winner mentality.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
For crying out loud T.....were 10-14 in the last 24 games.....10-14....that means were less than average. Yes there are some coaching issues with both staffs BUT THE FIRST ONE didn't know how to recruit or evaluate players.....starting to make sense?
Yeah. You know what? It is starting to come together now. Thanks man. I don't know how I missed it. That Gasparilla bowl should have been a dead give away

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Is it “As an aside” or “As a side”? Asking for a friend.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
He’s an actual QB.

Also worth noting that he won a state title at Dwyer in 2009 as well. I don’t mean it as knock on AR, but similar to Driskel, he was the only star on a really bad HS team. I think there’s something to be said about winning championships even at that level, to prepare you for the next. It doesn’t guarantee anything but it helps build a winner mentality.
I do agree with you. However I'm gonna say that Kurt roper nor Brent Pease have a real long track record for developing qb's. And every qb muschamp ever started didn't pan out, including his tenure at usce. I can't help but wonder what Driskel would have been under different circumstances. I know he looked good at latech but also we've discussed quite a bit and I'll try not Crete that topic up.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Is it “As an aside” or “As a side”? Asking for a friend.
The way I said it is correct, as always. The phrase is an idiom which prefaces a comment that is only indirectly related the to subject being discussed.

The More You Know Nbc GIF by For(bes) The Culture

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The way I said it is correct, as always. The phrase is an idiom which prefaces a comment that is only indirectly related the to subject being discussed.

The More You Know Nbc GIF by For(bes) The Culture
@divits would disagree.
:
Don’t you remember this whole discussion years ago?

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Tell Shane Antonio Langham would like a word.
I'm sorry, is this some type of super sophisticated joke that went over my head? That one pass doesn't define his career. I must be missing something.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
He made solid points about AR, some have it , some don’t
Right. The argument in favor of AR before was we didn’t have enough data points against both good teams and elite teams. Well, now we have both and he’s more Franks/Driskel than Tebow/Wuerffel. And that’s okay, but Franks/Driskel doesn’t get it done at Florida.

Is he a sensational athlete? Absolutely.

Is he even a “good” quarterback? Nope

tharber

Oct 10, 2020
That's the difference having played the game and having watched the game. He makes the points I made and got slaughtered on here. AR might very well be able to become the stud that everyone wants him to be but he just doesn't have it right now. Is it football IQ or is he hurt? No one knows but we have nothing to loose by throwing Kitna in there to see what he can do. This team needs a spark and needs some confidence. Yes SOS would have played every QB on the roster until he found the guy to get it done but when he benched you, it was a learning experience. Anyone remeber when SOS benched Terry Dean for Danny ? It turned out OK I would say.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If you subtracted his running ability I doubt there's many on this board who would choose Richardson over the other quarterbacks on the depth chart. Measurables alone are not enough.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I believe AR does offer a threat but NOT the way Napier is using him.

He needs to run and run hard at least 15-20 times per game.

If not, use your most accurate/quick read QB and let your backs do their thing. But you MUST add the quick pass and the deep ball.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.